• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have a sizing question in regards to Carmina with my eyes on these balmoral dress boots: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/balmoral-boots-box-calf-black-80092

I typically wear an 8.5 D on the 65 Last in AE. Any advice on what sizes and lasts I should consider with Carmina?
You’ll be a full size down (UK sizing) for most Carmina lasts, so expect 7.5 for Rain last, Forest, Uetam, Detroit... Simpson is the one that can be trickier to fit, so I’d recommend going with an 8 in Simpson, and you may just find an extra bit of room at the toebox.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have a sizing question in regards to Carmina with my eyes on these balmoral dress boots: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/balmoral-boots-box-calf-black-80092

I typically wear an 8.5 D on the 65 Last in AE. Any advice on what sizes and lasts I should consider with Carmina?
Can you say a bit about how the 65 fits? Do you have much lace gap? Enough room in the toes? The heel?

In general, Carmina has a higher instep than AE lasts. The must similar fit to the AE 65 in my experience is the Simpson (subtracting 1 from US size, or 7.5 for you). Alcudia is also close, but with a bit more instep room.

Soller is much bigger; you would possibly drop down to 7. Same goes for Rain and Inca, though both have toe tapers that could be an issue. Forest, as in the pair you posted, are in the middle. More instep than the 65, more akin to the 201, perhaps a bit higher. If you have skinny ankles or a closed lace gap on the 65, there boots probably wouldn’t work without a tongue pad etc. I would stick with 7.5, though; Forest isn’t big enough to drop down another half size

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score

My size in AE: US 8.5 D
Alden : US 8.5 D on Plaza last:
Carmina : UK 7 on most of lasts like Rain/Detroit/ /Buger/Soller/Oscar/Forest/Robert, even Uetam, only UK7.5 on Simpson. Hope it helps!

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Can you say a bit about how the 65 fits? Do you have much lace gap? Enough room in the toes? The heel?

In general, Carmina has a higher instep than AE lasts. The must similar fit to the AE 65 in my experience is the Simpson (subtracting 1 from US size, or 7.5 for you). Alcudia is also close, but with a bit more instep room.

Soller is much bigger; you would possibly drop down to 7. Same goes for Rain and Inca, though both have toe tapers that could be an issue. Forest, as in the pair you posted, are in the middle. More instep than the 65, more akin to the 201, perhaps a bit higher. If you have skinny ankles or a closed lace gap on the 65, there boots probably wouldn’t work without a tongue pad etc. I would stick with 7.5, though; Forest isn’t big enough to drop down another half size
Best way to describe it is that AE on the 65 fits me like a glove. Proper lace gap. Enough room in the toes and just right in the heel. Unless I've had them for many years, they fit comfortably snug and feels just right as I pop my foot in. That's why, for me, its the best comparable.

Truthfully, I would really just like to visit the NY store, see everything they have and get a fitting. That would be the best way.

However, living in Toronto, that has to wait until my next trip to NY. In the meantime, they appear to be exactly what I'm looking for in a dress boot. I find it's difficult to find a truly dressy boot perfect for suits.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.