• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. How do you compare the instep on Forest to Rain? I have two pairs on Rain sized TTS UK, and they fit perfectly other than the instep being too large. I size down a half in Oscar and the last lines up well with my foot shape, just a bit snug but perfect on the instep. If Forest is like Rain on instep or higher, I would probably still have to pass since that's an important area on a chukka you can't fully cinch up.
From my experience, Forest has a lower instep than Rain. It is a little difficult for me to say for sure though, since I take a 7.5UK in Forest and Inca, and an 8UK in Rain. The instep and heel are definitely too large in my Rain shoes, but I can make it work. My Forest shoes are a suede chukka and a karagrain calf derby. Both fit my foot better than Rain, granted with a little less wiggle room for my toes. The lacing system does not fully close in my Forest and Inca shoes, it feels just right.
I'm sure some others here can chime in as well. Most take the same size in Forest, Inca, and Rain, but everyone's foot is different.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you and the rest of the community know that the KA x Carmina GMTO chukka boots are actually on the Forest last. I noticed the website said Forest today, so I contacted them and they confirmed that the video was filmed and then Carmina contacted them and said it is actually on the Forest last, NOT Detroit.
That is good news for me because I love the Forest last and have a couple pairs in this last already. Hopefully it works for you too @CrashBurner.
Thank you so much for the info @ErPupone4. I will look into my sizing on the Simpson - I've found Oscar works best for me from the few lasts I've tried.

PenguinGuy4

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of Baker’s Russian Calf on any footwear they already own? And have some thoughts about it (how they age, etc.)?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of Baker’s Russian Calf on any footwear they already own? And have some thoughts about it (how they age, etc.)?

C&J Radnor Russian Grain; first photo is when they were new. Other two are after a year or so. It’s serious boot leather, for serious boot stuff, but also simply beautiful.

5715A212-C93D-4328-B6AC-DDB2A7C27FE6.jpeg

5B45A162-2521-41EA-8B15-689849C01DA0.jpeg

86562FFE-B1FD-497F-BAA8-BEDAD925E02D.jpeg

WNovizar

Reaction score
I believe this is the same leather used by C&J, for their Radnor Russian Grain boots. I can tell you from personal experience, saying the leather is amazing Is an understatement. As for the price, the only makers selling shell close to this price produce shoes nowhere near the caliber of Carmina, so their shell prices are cheap.

The KA price for this leather is a bargain, I’m all over this one. I’m just happy he’s only doing the Chukka makeups, otherwise I’d be purchasing more than one pair.
I have to disagree with you about that. At $695 its on expensive side, especially for non-shell GMTO. Winson ran a Galway GMTO with this leather and its about $450-500

PenguinGuy4

Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you about that. At $695 its on expensive side, especially for non-shell GMTO. Winson ran a Galway GMTO with this leather and its about $450-500

Fair enough, but to be honest you and I are not going to agree on much, if you believe Winson is equivalent to Carmina.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Fair enough, but to be honest you and I are not going to agree on much, if you believe Winson is equivalent to Carmina.

I can't comment one way or the other since I dont have any winson shoes. I can't seem to find it right now but there is a picture gallery I saw a while ago showing the construction of a winson shoes. Some aspects seemed a little crude to me maybe, although I think they are hand welted and some of them have a fiddleback waist. As far as it goes for the Indonesian makers, I actually feel that Winson is the most carmina-esque in terms of aesthetics and lasts, whereas some of the other seem to be going after more of a streetwear vibe. I've never ordered from any of them but just trying to fill in some additional detail without getting into subjective comparisons vs. Carmina or anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads