• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Take a look at one of my pairs with this and the comments https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...-and-boot-thread.268468/page-330#post-9250618

Just like you see here opinions vary from it adds character to no way for sure it should not be that way... for that money return it.

In my pairs it it is hard to tell on some angles and it runs the whole length so not quite the same as what you have here. My pair it is clear that it is some underlying characteristic of the shell that came out on the shading. Yours take a 90 and then a few inches and another 90 so I find that odd and not something that I could account to a natural occurrence. More looks like another piece of shell was laying on top of that piece during processing and that is was caused the more distinct 90 turns.

But again opinions vary widely and everyone has a different one so in the end it is really up to you.
-Are you ok with it will you wear them and if so will it bother you when you wear them?
-Do you feel that you did not get good value for what you paid?
-Do you feel that what you got is substandard?
-Do you think an MTO should be held to a higher standard (most do, I do)?
-Do you think that maybe when this was being laid out and cut someone should have notice this and cut the pattern different to avoid this (example if the cut was on this color diff and each piece was used for a different part it would be way more acceptable for two separate pieces to be a few shades diff then a single pieces) I mean it's not like your boot was a whole cut this piece of shell could certainly have been cut up differently to avoid this for sure especially for an MTO.

My shells with this were ordered from the outlet and were discounted and the lines run long so I am good with it. I am not a picky person as I buy shoes and boots to wear not as museum art. But man full price MTO from Carmina I think I would have expected this not to have happen. I have seen issues like this posted and I have seen Carmina offer to replace and also offer a discount if you keep them. Oh and if you are hoping for it to somehow magically go away over the years that is not going to happen. The contrast you see will always be there yes the shell will age and change but equally so you will always see the contrast of the color difference.

Also on my pair they are a "whole cut" so this is what you have to accept sometimes on a whole cut as there is no other option. I think most everyone would have to agree on a shoe or boot that is not a whole cut the shell could have really should have been cut so that this shade difference fell on two seperate pieces. If that was the case this difference would be totally acceptable and I bet not even noticed and we would not even have this posting.

Again up to you how do you feel about your purchase are you good with it does it bother you? If it does do something about it if not then you are good as is.

I used to have a pair that were just like your wholecuts from a different maker. The line of demarcation went right down the length of the shoe through the center. Interestingly, it was only visible in certain light/angles, just like yours. In most light, it was almost completely invisible. I liked it, actually, since it was so unusual, but I could easily see someone else not liking it. I'd never seen another pair with this "issue" so it's interesting to see yours.

In my view, this is different then OPs pair since his will be mostly obscured by pants.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NSTs today:
9279E26E-3C9F-4B82-AAE5-EB1E8188AAED.jpeg

ErPupone4

Reaction score
It is ongoing though the selection and sizes available are quite bad considering previous years' sales. https://www.carminashoemaker.us/winter-sale
Wow, that is a really poor selection. It doesn't even seem like a sale, just an extension of the outlet. I hope they add more sizes at least, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably for the best. I spent enough on shoes last year and should take a hiatus ;)

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they don't want to sell more of their models at a discount.

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score
Two balmoral boots I have now, both with Robert Last, Rubi Cordovan and Brown Suede. Next mission is light grey suede Chelsea with JR sole. Considering Simpson/Inca or Deia...
BTW one of my brown suede chukka, right shoes became bigger than left one. This never occurred in other shoes I have. Do you have similar issues?

Deivid

Reaction score
Did carmina take my money and run?

I’ve been waiting for over a month for a reply
I ordered my shell cordovan derby shoes 22nd December and it said that "shipping immediately". I've heard NOTHING after the order. I've tried to catch them on email - nothing. But they took my money. Nice.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
That's why I avoid buying things from many companies during mid December - mid January.

Another Mallorca-company (TLB) states on their website that "*Orders made after the 18th of December will be sent from us the 15th of January.". So if ones decide to place order, they know they have to wait up to a month.

I don't know if this "long holiday" is a norm there, but that would be where I place my $0.02.

If this is the case, though, then Carmina should have done better by stating something like that clearly on the website. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing anything like that on their website).

Last edited:

Deivid

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Yeah I think that's the case. I have absolutely no hurry getting those shoes but it would be nice to KNOW if they're having a long break or something.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Yeah I think that's the case. I have absolutely no hurry getting those shoes but it would be nice to KNOW if they're having a long break or something.
They are still posting daily on their instagram.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics