• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bearspoke

Reaction score
Hi all! I received my MTO order and was suprised to find that the shoe trees I had ordered were not included. I figured I'd give the fancy new beechwood trees a try on my MTO order from a couple of months back. I reached out to Carmina but for an update but I'm guessing they're a little slammed with the BF/CM events. Has anyone else received their beechwood tree order?

surrender

Reaction score
Do Carmina typically ship their US orders from Spain? I ordered both of my pairs from the outlet section and they're both coming from Palma de Mallorca.

Justsole

Reaction score
I own all shell* and it's easy so easy to care for.

My for longevity plan.

-If not dirty and has been treated with cordovan cream within the past 6 months just a brush is all that is needed.
-Same as above but dirty, damp cloth to take off dirt then brush.
-Every 6 months regardless of anything, clean with damp cloth if needed, then hit with Saphir renovateur, brush, then hit with clear or color (depending on shoe color) Saphir cordovan cream, then brush.
-If something goes crazy like caught in bad rain, snow, mud, something that get the shoes wet or dirty clean with damp cloth let dry then do the 6 month above.

Notes IMO I have never found the need to brush like crazy I find only a few min yields the same results as longer so I go with a few min max.

Honestly the above is probably overkill as shell is extremely durable. But we have all seen those 20+ year old shell shoes on ebay with cracks (calf too all leather drys out). So since I plan to keep my shoes for the rest of my life and pass to my son I take preventative care.

I have also found that many of the care products have the same or almost the same ingredients so I don't think there is much difference in particular brands even products within the same brand.

Example: Saphir Renovateur or "blue Line" is basically the same, as Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator. The difference is Renovateur uses beeswax and carnauba whereas Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator has uses beeswax. I used both products and can not tell them apart, if used under polish then you definitely will not notice at all. If using alone then the difference is incontestable and does not warrant at 13 cents an ml extra. You basically get the same product for 19 cents an ml versus 32 an ml. Like many brands one drop of X call it premium and you can charge more as someone will pay the extra cash thinking it is better.

Anyways as always Opinions vary widely so as long as you are doing some form of care you should be fine.

*Ok my slippers are suede but my sneakers are Carmina shell!
Thanks for sharing. How about using the deerbone, or spoon? Is that part of your routine?

stijn

Reaction score
Hi all! I received my MTO order and was suprised to find that the shoe trees I had ordered were not included. I figured I'd give the fancy new beechwood trees a try on my MTO order from a couple of months back. I reached out to Carmina but for an update but I'm guessing they're a little slammed with the BF/CM events. Has anyone else received their beechwood tree order?
I think Sara mentioned last week or so that they are switching from suppliers and that's the reason why they're missing. I thought that was the reason.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. How about using the deerbone, or spoon? Is that part of your routine?
Speaking of shell care... does anyone happen to know what Carmina applies to the shell? I recently did a full refurb on my amaretto pair for the first time and noticed some differences in how they handled getting wet. Previously, they would spot a bit but were, in general, semi impervious to absorbing water.

Post cleaning and conditioning they seem more prone to absorbing water but possibly less prone to spotting (a little early to say with much conviction). This seems counterintuitive, which is why I mention it.

This was following a thorough wipe down with a wet microfiber, followed by a bick 4 application. I typically also will use a thin coat of VSC but I need to reorder some.

Anyway, just curious. Whatever treatment they use, I like it. The sheen vaguely reminds me of VSC.

gld edmond

Reaction score
I’m surprised but don’t doubt what you say. Have you dropped Sara a message via this forum?
I did message someone from Carmina on this forum in June, they said it would get taken care of, but nothing happened

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Carmina typically ship their US orders from Spain? I ordered both of my pairs from the outlet section and they're both coming from Palma de Mallorca.
The factory is in Spain, so yes, I've usually seen them shipped directly from them. I know I had at least one pair shipped from NY, though, which I think was because I had spoken to a rep there about the order.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have and use the deer bone, it works very well I have removed some nicks, scratches, dents that I originally thought would never be unnoticable.

surrender

Reaction score
The factory is in Spain, so yes, I've usually seen them shipped directly from them. I know I had at least one pair shipped from NY, though, which I think was because I had spoken to a rep there about the order.
Thanks! My only previous Carmina purchase was from their Madrid store, so I didn’t know what to expect by ordering online.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
If the pairs are in Spain, they'll ship from there to the US. If they're in the NYC store, they'll ship from there. Stock is different between the US line and rest of the world.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Hey guys -

In NYC currently and finally got a chance to stop in at Carmina last night. I wanted to try on some Inca lasts (I really like the cordovan dbl monks in the last).

So - I have a pretty wide foot with a very tall arch. I dont' know whats going on with the last but the shoe fit well in the toe and the arch and bridge at UK 11, but was very loose in the heel,

At 10.5 it fit perfectly in the bridge, arch, and toebox, but was still a tiny bit loose in the heel.

I wear 11 in almost every C+J last for example. Was wondering what people thought about Inca and if anyone has had this experience?

Does anyone have experience w/ the cordovan ones? In theory Cordovan should stretch less, but am a little worried if I get the 10.5 and the heel loosens anymore they might be problematic.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

bennanza

Reaction score
Hey guys -

In NYC currently and finally got a chance to stop in at Carmina last night. I wanted to try on some Inca lasts (I really like the cordovan dbl monks in the last).

So - I have a pretty wide foot with a very tall arch. I dont' know whats going on with the last but the shoe fit well in the toe and the arch and bridge at UK 11, but was very loose in the heel,

At 10.5 it fit perfectly in the bridge, arch, and toebox, but was still a tiny bit loose in the heel.

I wear 11 in almost every C+J last for example. Was wondering what people thought about Inca and if anyone has had this experience?

Does anyone have experience w/ the cordovan ones? In theory Cordovan should stretch less, but am a little worried if I get the 10.5 and the heel loosens anymore they might be problematic.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
I have been wearing my dbl monks in shell on rain last A LOT and they don't really feel like they have stretched at all (all subjectively, of course). There is a huge difference to calf leather; all calf shoes stretched a little and after being snug for two weeks maybe, they broke in and felt different, more relaxed. This didn't really happen with shell shoes. I would not buy them too tight. However, too large and slipping occurs easier than with calf as well. Shell shoes must fit from the beginning - ideally you hear that sound of compressed air exiting the shoes when putting them on.

DL120

Reaction score
GMTO offering run by myself (DESHELLVEDGE

Specs:
BBE93852-E5CF-43D1-BA1F-10C5C930B3FA.jpegFED73F01-004B-4904-ADC8-65E95BC6E540.jpeg
-NST shoe

-Saddle Shell Cordovan

-Rain last

-Double JR sole

-270 storm welt

-mid brown edge

-Exposed vintage brass eyelets

-brown round dress laces

Once the group is full (half way of commits now) $200 deposit, remaining payment of $590 + shipping is due prior to delivery. If you want to join, comment and message me. Estimated 3-4 months production time from when the group is filled and paid with deposits.

PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY IF INTERESTED.
-

Rain last image

Photo from @serbarristan of nst model on the rain last.

This is bourbon shell, the gmto is in saddle shell.

NST shoe shown in natural shell on forest

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%