• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be semantics at this point but technically the Color 4 GMTO closed on Tuesday so it wasn't one day, it was three, and for all we know they may not have known the drawings would be ready today. Even assuming they don't still need to prototype the model, going right to production on a new model in shell (and a limited color with a long waiting list at that) may not be something they're ready to do, though that's admittedly speculation on my part. To be honest, if someone was that deadset on a Color 4 Galway clone, Bonafe will make you one any day of the week.
There's no sense in debating it. I'll just say there was a willingness to adapt the existing full brogue wingtip pattern for this order with a pattern modification to the heel counter that is similar to the proposed designs. I suspect that from their perspective shell is shell but again, I'm not going to speculate since I'm not in their business.

As for the timing, I won't get into the specifics because it doesn't really matter. I will just say that my order was finalized yesterday after some subtle prodding.

Trakl

Reaction score
I wonder if that never made it to actual production, since the 80277 is on Llubi. That looks kinda TruBalance-y.
Hm, I'm starting to think that this actually is Llubi, and that "Boga" refers to the model, not the last? Anyway, thanks.

Attachments

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking from my experience, it is really not trivial to launch a new model. For some makers, it can take 3-12 months. Carmina just announced the vote today, which doesn't mean this model can go into production next week or even next month. There are many things to be done for the artisans of Carmina:
1. Clicking pattern design based on voted model and last, this can take up to a month
2. Make a sample shoe from the pattern in step 1, this can take 2-4 weeks
3. Make adjustments to the pattern based on the sample feedback, maybe can be done in 1 week
4. Make adjusted pattern design, another 1-2 weeks
5. Make another sample or just launch production straight
6*. If a model can be used for shells or not needs further verification due to many issues during lasting with this leather
Again, that's fine. Please carefully consider what I said in my post. Given the situation, including my specifically asking about the new model after receiving the code, I think a courtesy heads up is a reasonable expectation.

CrashBurner

Reaction score
I'm not going to speculate. They were already working on the design several weeks ago when I'd started driving this with the interest list that I generated. There was, at that time, some discussion from Carmina about potentially sharing the preliminary design.

To me, these designs don't seem to be that radically different from some of the existing patterns. I don't know enough to comment on the level of effort to convert the drawings into a real pattern so I won't speculate.

I will just say that it would have been nice for Carmina to have said either a) we can hold color 4 orders for anyone that wants the new pattern, or b) if that was an unreasonable option than a notification that the new pattern was coming might have resulted in some people (ie. Me) dropping into the color 4 waitlist and allowing someone else to take my spot on the current gmto. There's certainly no shortage of interest.

Don't get me wrong, I will be pleased with what i ordered. However, this is a $900 pair of boots. I'd be more happy with one of the new patterns and my building the interest list for the Calway was specifically geared towards the color 4 gmto. It's also not like I didnt followup on the pattern. I did. Including after I received my gmto code for color 4. This decision to add the pattern wasn't made yesterday. I'm sure it's been planned for some time now.

Had the timing been different, that would be one thing. But the pattern announcement ONE day after closing the color 4 gmto just rubs me the wrong way. Call it sour grapes if you like, but the confluence of events and timing bothers me and leaves an impression that I hope was not intended.
I understand where you're coming from @stook1 , but as there are a lot of spinning wheels running around Carmina at the moment, I don't think the timing is anything to make of. They are a bigger company and so may not be as nimble with changes as smaller makers, let alone the very real possibility that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at times.
I'm really positive that not only do we have access to some more exotic shades of Cordovan, but @Carmina are also looking into a totally new design with our input - sounds good to me.
It'll be interesting to see what the winning design is - I voted for #1 ;). Think of all the color/texture possibilities available if Carmina is comfortable with lots of small batch production.

Speaking from my experience, it is really not trivial to launch a new model. For some makers, it can take 3-12 months. Carmina just announced the vote today, which doesn't mean this model can go into production next week or even next month. There are many things to be done for the artisans of Carmina:
1. Clicking pattern design based on voted model and last, this can take up to a month
2. Make a sample shoe from the pattern in step 1, this can take 2-4 weeks
3. Make adjustments to the pattern based on the sample feedback, maybe can be done in 1 week
4. Make adjusted pattern design, another 1-2 weeks
5. Make another sample or just launch production straight
6*. If a model can be used for shells or not needs further verification due to many issues during lasting with this leather
Thanks for the info @WilYa - looking forward to seeing the end result.

Last edited:

JoeRogan

Reaction score
May be semantics at this point but technically the Color 4 GMTO closed on Tuesday so it wasn't one day, it was three, and for all we know they may not have known the drawings would be ready today. Even assuming they don't still need to prototype the model, going right to production on a new model in shell (and a limited color with a long waiting list at that) may not be something they're ready to do, though that's admittedly speculation on my part. To be honest, if someone was that deadset on a Color 4 Galway clone, Bonafe will make you one any day of the week.
I'm pretty sure the GMTO wasn't even supposed to be "open" that long, they literally had to say "put in your makeup or you'll be waitlisted" to get the orders in gear. Which, idk, if it was me as soon as I'd gotten the code my order would have been in an hour later.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It rubs you the wrong way that they can't prototype, test, and then retail a new model to fit your personal schedule in an event where they are already offering a rare leather with no fee customization.

Entitlement is a wild thing.
1. Not what I asked for.
2. You don't know the status of these new models any better than I do. Here is discussion about the model having been under development for a while. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/carmina-shoes-definitive-thread-reviews-advice-sizing-etc.241469/page-1845#post-9926090
3. Read carefully how this was described by Carmina today: "As you know, we have a great archive of models that are both in the making or heritage from other generations. Amongst our selection we have found and polished four options."
4. No need to be a d*ck needlessly. I've been nothing but helpful to other members seeking input about Carmina's products which is beneficial to both the community AND Carmina.

Last edited:

JoeRogan

Reaction score
It rubs you the wrong way that they can't prototype, test, and then retail a new model to fit your personal schedule in an event where they are already offering a rare leather with no fee customization.

Entitlement is a wild thing.

CrashBurner

Reaction score
There, there lads. Good things are coming and hopefully style #1 gets up :D . I’d actually be happy with any of the 4 styles, but my love of repetition leads me to the most familiar design.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
I was recently told directly by Carmina that they prefer not to use hatch grain anymore as they find it a very difficult leather to work with.
Not sure exactly what makes it so difficult to work with, if any one here has any insights I'd be interested to know.
I would love to have boots made with Horween Russia/Hatch Grain Bull Rush.
View attachment 1285117
Interesting you say that. I was very happy with how my boots turned out but i quickly discovered that the left boot had the grain completely flattened out almost everywhere but the shaft ;( I’m currently taking with Carmina to find a solution.
AF1C27CC-1F5D-4F1C-9275-082C8187ED2B.jpeg
6451714D-CF3B-4E8E-89C5-E56A055CE448.jpeg

yengli

Reaction score
Anyone have on feet pictures of the Chelsea boots in Inca and rain, side profiles would be nice!

Berto1

Reaction score
We had a request a while back to show you the available sketches for a winged boot that resembled the "Calway".

As you know, we have a great archive of models that are both in the making or heritage from other generations. Amongst our selection we have found and polished four options.

We have decided to manufacture a new model which we will number as 80791. However, you all have the option of deciding which boot will be part of our collection.

Of course, we will also create a private GMTO for Styleforum users if you are interested.

View attachment 1284856View attachment 1284857View attachment 1284858View attachment 1284859

Access this link to vote for your preferred model. Link
I like 4 models but to my eyes 6 eyelets and 4 speed hooks seem too much.

4 eyelets + 4 speed hooks would be more balanced

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.