• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which would you say is more generous?
I'm a little hesitant to answer since my two soller lasted pairs are essentially new. I'd say they are about the same. 341 has maybe a tiny bit more space but it's so close that I'm not sure I can really say that with confidence. For whatever reason, I found the harlech significantly more stiff on breakin but they are good now.

@stephenaf2003 what do you think?

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
@Carmina any chance of a comparison between rain and soller?
@Carmina
I would add Forest and Inca to that also if you could, so a comparison of the Forest, Rain, Inca and Soller. All of the shoes/boots I have are in Soller and Inca and I am wondering if I would need to go up half a size in the Forest or Rain

In an earlier post, you also mentioned a "country sole" and I was wondering what that was? I am hoping to do a pair of NST boots in the future, and I was wondering if there are any sole options like a commando sole that are a little bit less beefy, i.e. shallower lugs, than the Tramuntana sole.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, my "last order" from the Kirby MTO arrived today! It took longer than anticipated due to the sneaker sole was out of stock.

Here it is, right out of the box.

80650 Sneaker. Black rusticalf + Tan rusticalf, and red laces. Soller last (because I want something more "sporty" and "sleek" than Calvia).

View attachment 1284352

Why this color combination though? Well, I actually modeled this one after my favorite dog, with his red collar.

View attachment 1284353

And here's the close up:

View attachment 1284356

While the waiting was long, but this definitely worths it :)
Nice makeup for sure. I also got the sneakers in rusticalf and I think it's perfect for them.

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 you posted a picture of some forest last NST boots, I think in amaretto or other light she’ll, a couple of pages back. Would you mind providing the sole, welt, and edge details on those? Thanks

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 you posted a picture of some forest last NST boots, I think in amaretto or other light she’ll, a couple of pages back. Would you mind providing the sole, welt, and edge details on those? Thanks
Sure here are the full specs:

NORWEGIAN BOOTS 80488 (080488-999-0000-8M)
Skin and color Cordovan && Armagnac Cordovan Skin and color Cordovan && Armagnac Cordovan Skin and color Cordovan && Armagnac Cordovan lining Kid Leather && Violet Kid
Last and sole Forest && Rendenbach sole fabricacion Double sole && Chestnut edge Eyelets Vintage brass
hooks Vintage gold hooks
laces Brown Round braided shoe laces
Nominated & initials Without name neither initials
size UK 8.5
More Options Metal Toe Cap

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which would you say is more generous?
I'm a little hesitant to answer since my two soller lasted pairs are essentially new. I'd say they are about the same. 341 has maybe a tiny bit more space but it's so close that I'm not sure I can really say that with confidence. For whatever reason, I found the harlech significantly more stiff on breakin but they are good now.

@stephenaf2003 what do you think?
The obvious caveat is that the likelihood anyones foot is like mine is, not very.

With that said, I do find the two lasts are very similar on my foot. However, I have a slightly widish fore foot, and for me the 341 hits those wide places a tiny touch better.

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
@Carmina this diagram shows the forest and rain being half a size or more smaller than the soller. Is that right?

to others who have these three lasts, what has been your experience? I have only the Inca and soller now; both fit pretty well, although the Inca feels roomier to me. The soller can be a tiny bit low in the toe box. I would like to purchase some direct and rain shoes though and I am wondering if I should go up in size?

papa kot

Reaction score
@Carmina this diagram shows the forest and rain being half a size or more smaller than the soller. Is that right?View attachment 1284718

to others who have these three lasts, what has been your experience? I have only the Inca and soller now; both fit pretty well, although the Inca feels roomier to me. The soller can be a tiny bit low in the toe box. I would like to purchase some direct and rain shoes though and I am wondering if I should go up in size?
My experience is close to what the diagram shows.

My first Carmina boots were in 10EEE. The width was good but there was some extra volume in a few places so the fit was not 100% to my standard. Sold the boots to another lucky forum member.

Purchased my second and third Carmina wonders. Shoes in Inca and Boots in Soller. Both in 10EE. Both fit well, better than 10EEE in Rain and hence are keepers. The shoes and the boots required some break-in, but overall the fit is good width-wise. There are no extra volume spots as in 10EEE Rain.

By the way, I also have Alden Indy boots (Truebalance) in 10.5E and Cordovan Chukkas in 10EEE. My Aldens fit with a bit more room, but overall Carmina provides a better package in terms of look, feel, and fit.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina any chance of a comparison between rain and soller?

@Carmina
I would add Forest and Inca to that also if you could, so a comparison of the Forest, Rain, Inca and Soller. All of the shoes/boots I have are in Soller and Inca and I am wondering if I would need to go up half a size in the Forest or Rain

In an earlier post, you also mentioned a "country sole" and I was wondering what that was? I am hoping to do a pair of NST boots in the future, and I was wondering if there are any sole options like a commando sole that are a little bit less beefy, i.e. shallower lugs, than the Tramuntana sole.
We can only make comparisons for two lasts a a time, Sorry.

This is an example of Carmina's country sole (lactae):

Vs. tramuntana

zag73

Reaction score

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina this diagram shows the forest and rain being half a size or more smaller than the soller. Is that right?View attachment 1284718

Clients wearing the same size in Soller and Inca tend to go for that same size in Forest too. Nonetheless, maybe some other users might be able to give you some pointers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.