• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

what’s your feeling in terms of quality?

softness?

To my knowledge it's basically the best suede in the world. I found it very soft but it also felt thick and strong. My only other real suede experience has been with Alden, who also sources from C.F. Stead and I believe uses what Carmina described previously as the repello suede. The Janus calf is noticeably nicer.

Berto1

Reaction score
To my knowledge it's basically the best suede in the world. I found it very soft but it also felt thick and strong. My only other real suede experience has been with Alden, who also sources from C.F. Stead and I believe uses what Carmina described previously as the repello suede. The Janus calf is noticeably nicer.

wow, now I'm checking the photos with my MS surface and they look fantastic.

I have a really good feedback about Alden suede. I though it was janus.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorites today:
55205445-9449-4540-BCA0-FFC1BF3A7780.jpeg

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. Don't know if these are "side" enough for you, and sadly I don't have C&J for comparison. (The one in Bourbon Shell is also same model & last).

View attachment 1263596

View attachment 1263597

View attachment 1263598

Sure. It would be a bit of apple-to-orange comparison though, since
1) both Sineu last shoes I have are Chukka, and I don't have Chukka on Rain for comparison (being one of my favorite Carmina lasts, alongside the Simpson, I have everything else on Rain, oxfords, monks, derbies, boots .... everything but Chukka)
2) both Sineu last shoes I have are unlined, one Suede and another Shell Cordovan. This might effect the fit.

With that being said, I found Sineu to be more snug, but not in anyway uncomfortable. Actually, I found it works exceptional well for the unlined Chukka (and maybe unlined models in general).

Rain would be somewhat more generous. I wear both Sineu and Rain true-to-size, UK 9.5, and while I can wear Rain UK 9 very snuggly, I can't imagine myself doing the same for Sineu.

Long story short, I think you can take your Rain size for the Sineu.

Thank you so much for your answer @dave_rawitat. The Rain last fits me well, but I do not have much room for error. For now, I shall stay away from Sineu until I can try it in person.
PS. You ought to by some chukka on Rain last. I have 4 and contemplating ordering several more.

Kimistry

Reaction score
Not sure if this is off topic, but I just received my navy carmina shells back from the cobbler (I had gotten topy on the soles). Unfortunately, when I got home, I realized he had used black shoe polish on them! The navy color which I loved on them is now gone. Is there any way to bring back the original navy color to them? Thanks in advance.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is off topic, but I just received my navy carmina shells back from the cobbler (I had gotten topy on the soles). Unfortunately, when I got home, I realized he had used black shoe polish on them! The navy color which I loved on them is now gone. Is there any way to bring back the original navy color to them? Thanks in advance.
Yes. Make him buy you a new pair! Should have got carmina to put the topy on when you bought them. You must be gutted! ?

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the Cobbler used black shoe polish on your Navy Shell? If this is correct it‘s not a problem because:
a. Shell does not take pigment from shoe cream and polish easily; and
b. If you can get your hands on some Saphir Renomat you will literally see the issue disappear before your eyes. Renomat will not remove any of the colour of the Shell but will remove all silicates and particulates on the surface - like polish, wax, dirt etc.
c. After using the Renomat, I’d suggest using a Cordovan Cream to bring back the lustre. Renomat shouldn’t dry out the Shell and in my experience, using it alone with some buffing can produce a pretty good lustre.
PS. Steer clear of any acetone based solvents - they will dry out Cordovan and remove colour from the actual Shell.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be very cautious in using renomat. In fact, I would not use it on my shell personally.

Since you invested quite a bit in the shoes, I would demand the cobbler fund the restoration of the shoes, and I would chose who does the restoration, which obviously should not be this particular cobbler. It’s totally unacceptable that the cobbler slathered black polish on your Navy shell shoes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I would be very cautious in using renomat. In fact, I would not use it on my shell personally.

Since you invested quite a bit in the shoes, I would demand the cobbler fund the restoration of the shoes, and I would chose who does the restoration, which obviously should not be this particular cobbler. It’s totally unacceptable that the cobbler slathered black polish on your Navy shell shoes.

X2, I think Stephen has the correct perspective on this one. I cant personally comment on the best way to resolve this but I think its reasonable to hold the cobbler responsible for the cost of an expert restoration be it from Carmina or someone else of your choosing.

officine

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the Cobbler used black shoe polish on your Navy Shell? If this is correct it‘s not a problem because:
a. Shell does not take pigment from shoe cream and polish easily; and
b. If you can get your hands on some Saphir Renomat you will literally see the issue disappear before your eyes. Renomat will not remove any of the colour of the Shell but will remove all silicates and particulates on the surface - like polish, wax, dirt etc.
c. After using the Renomat, I’d suggest using a Cordovan Cream to bring back the lustre. Renomat shouldn’t dry out the Shell and in my experience, using it alone with some buffing can produce a pretty good lustre.
PS. Steer clear of any acetone based solvents - they will dry out Cordovan and remove colour from the actual Shell.
+1

No fears, I've been there.

A few years ago I purchased a plum museum calf shoe on sale. I then took it to my cobbler for a Topy as well (as the shoe was bought without my preferred Tomir sole). When I went to pick them up he proudly told me that he went ahead applied polish to "fix" the discoloration and, get this, free of charge! He was close to retirement and wanting to do me a solid. I said nothing. At the time I was :butbut: ....but after some elbow grease with both Renovateur and Renomat, today its just a quaint story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads