• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bennanza

Reaction score
Guys I know this might not be the right thread for this and if it isn't and you have suggestions, please share!

Does anyone of you have Vass shoes? I got a great second hand offer of a shoe in U-last in the same size as all my carminas (Eur 42 or UK 8 or US9) in calf leather. However, I don't have the tightest feet (especially at the widest part before toe box) and I'm not quite sure as it has been said the last is definetely not wide. I don't have the option to try it on (too far away).

Carmina in Simpson 8.5 UK in calf fit very well widthwise, a bit long however
Ueatam loafer in suede 8 UK fits very well
Inca shell cordovan 8 UK is a bit thight
Rain shell cordovan 8 UK is also a tad tight

All carmina seem to be around 10.3/10.4 cm in width and fit seems much more dependent on the material at this point, as calf and suede shoes look 1mm tighter than the cordovan ones (also all are around 30cm length outside).

The vass calf U in 42 is also 10.3cm in width and 30.7 cm length outside (30cm inside). The fact that its calf gives me hope and that there should be enough material to stretch it in case, as it is fairly long :)

I know noone can give me a definite answer, but a comparison between carminas and Vass U last would help a lot! Should I pull the trigger?

Last edited:

diaby2afc

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking at the Polo Suede Wholecut Slippers and was wondering if the suedes stretch at all with wear?

I have an 8UK Meermin unlined calf loafer and 8UK RM Williams fit comfortably but when I tried on the Polo Suedes in 8UK, they're just too tight for my kinda wide feet. I don't want to go up half a size because they're already a bit long.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking at the Polo Suede Wholecut Slippers and was wondering if the suedes stretch at all with wear?

I have an 8UK Meermin unlined calf loafer and 8UK RM Williams fit comfortably but when I tried on the Polo Suedes in 8UK, they're just too tight for my kinda wide feet. I don't want to go up half a size because they're already a bit long.
All leather stretches to some degree or other. Suede tends to stretch a bit more than standard leather. Never understood why given it’s the same leather but in reverse. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

diaby2afc

Reaction score
All leather stretches to some degree or other. Suede tends to stretch a bit more than standard leather. Never understood why given it’s the same leather but in reverse. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Thanks. Reading across different forums, I've seen contradicting answers as to whether suede stretches. I guess I'll just go with majority vote?

bennanza

Reaction score
See my post just above yours - suede stretches very well and hugs the foot, regular calf - to a bit lesser extent but also in my experience. Shell cordovan much less and takes a lot more time (have been wearing one for about a year very regularly). For suede, when in doubt, I definitely take the tighter one.

zr3rs

Reaction score
Does anyone of you have Vass shoes? I got a great second hand offer of a shoe in U-last in the same size as all my carminas (Eur 42 or UK 8 or US9) in calf leather. However, I don't have the tightest feet (especially at the widest part before toe box) and I'm not quite sure as it has been said the last is definetely not wide. I don't have the option to try it on (too far away).

I am more or less exactly half a size bigger than you. Simpson 9 fits very well, but has excess length in front, heel is fine though. Rain in 8.5 UK is a bit tight in the toes while slightly loose in the heel. U in 8.5 is generous, more like Simpson 9 than Rain 8.5. I take F last in 8 though, and it fits better than Rain.

So, yes, it will probably fit, but Vass sizing is not 100% consistent.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s hope they do a MTO waiver for Black Friday. I’ve got a few more pairs I need to get ?

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
These look great. Do you have a side pic of the shoe? It looks similar to the C&J Chiltern worn.

Sure. Don't know if these are "side" enough for you, and sadly I don't have C&J for comparison. (The one in Bourbon Shell is also same model & last).

DSCF1323.jpg

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1563.jpg

Wonderful, can you comment on the fit of Sineu last in respect to other Carmina last you might have? My best fitting Carmina last is Rain.

Sure. It would be a bit of apple-to-orange comparison though, since
1) both Sineu last shoes I have are Chukka, and I don't have Chukka on Rain for comparison (being one of my favorite Carmina lasts, alongside the Simpson, I have everything else on Rain, oxfords, monks, derbies, boots .... everything but Chukka)
2) both Sineu last shoes I have are unlined, one Suede and another Shell Cordovan. This might effect the fit.

With that being said, I found Sineu to be more snug, but not in anyway uncomfortable. Actually, I found it works exceptional well for the unlined Chukka (and maybe unlined models in general).

Rain would be somewhat more generous. I wear both Sineu and Rain true-to-size, UK 9.5, and while I can wear Rain UK 9 very snuggly, I can't imagine myself doing the same for Sineu.

Long story short, I think you can take your Rain size for the Sineu.

bennanza

Reaction score
I am more or less exactly half a size bigger than you. Simpson 9 fits very well, but has excess length in front, heel is fine though. Rain in 8.5 UK is a bit tight in the toes while slightly loose in the heel. U in 8.5 is generous, more like Simpson 9 than Rain 8.5. I take F last in 8 though, and it fits better than Rain.

So, yes, it will probably fit, but Vass sizing is not 100% consistent.
I cannot stress how much this helps. I guess the shoe will actually be a bit long then, but I cannot let this offer pass :) Also, it is laced, so I have a bit of "flexibility"

bennanza

Reaction score
Let’s hope they do a MTO waiver for Black Friday. I’ve got a few more pairs I need to get ?
One can always hope! However, I really don't think so. I'd rather think about belts and cardholders.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys I know this might not be the right thread for this and if it isn't and you have suggestions, please share!

All carmina seem to be around 10.3/10.4 cm in width and fit seems much more dependent on the material at this point, as calf and suede shoes look 1mm tighter than the cordovan ones (also all are around 30cm length outside).

The vass calf U in 42 is also 10.3cm in width and 30.7 cm length outside (30cm inside). The fact that its calf gives me hope and that there should be enough material to stretch it in case, as it is fairly long :)

I know noone can give me a definite answer, but a comparison between carminas and Vass U last would help a lot! Should I pull the trigger?

I have only tried on Vass U last, so I cannot speak to stretching over consistent use.

I am an 11 UK in Carmina Simpson and dropped to a 44.5 in Vass U last. Rain simply does not fit my foot.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One can always hope! However, I really don't think so. I'd rather think about belts and cardholders.
Well, if we ask carmina kindly, they may do a styleforum special weekend waiver. They been very generous in the past.

bennanza

Reaction score
I have only tried on Vass U last, so I cannot speak to stretching over consistent use.

I am an 11 UK in Carmina Simpson and dropped to a 44.5 in Vass U last. Rain simply does not fit my foot.
Thank you for your response!
As far as I can see now, the shoe could fit widthwise (maybe a little stretching over time neeeded) but could be a little too long. In this case, I couldn't go down half a number anyway as it would be way too narrow. So either I'm not built for U last or the shoe fits? I think I'll be optimistic about it and believe in the flexibility properties of calf and proper lacing :D

Rodolphe

Reaction score
In fact, suede is not the reverse of smooth leather.
Smooth leather used for shoes in calf leather for example, is leather which you cut off the bottom part and keep the top one. It's the noble part. More strong and resistant. So the less flexible...
Suede is the opposite : leather which you cut off the top and keep the bottom part. It's more flexible but less strong...
Untitled-1-1600x984@2x.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads