• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. I'll throw in a couple of comparisons, too. Not the best lighting today, I'm afraid.

View attachment 1256282

Bottom is Carmina tobacco, middle is EG tobacco (very close, I think it might be the same, although the nap is a little shorter), top is Carmina brown.
This is why tobacco is my favorite. So rich. So good. I have tobacco in Lof & Tung and Carmina and love both (not much different in color).

CrashBurner

Reaction score
You're killing me with the #4 EBs. :(
I love that boot. Off topic but are they narrower than oscar?
I’d say the Oscar is more similar in shape to the EB 363MOD but the instep is lower and the toe slightly more pointed - it works really well for me. I take the same size in 74945 and to me the proportions of the 74945 are perfect - not quite as stubby as the 363MOD.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to get a fur lining with the custom shoes and boots? Been trying to find a mid brown pebble grain boot with a shearling lining and Ridgeway/Victoria sole forever... it feels like I'm searching for a damn unicorn. The custom fee waiver weekend would be a great way to fill that hole in my rotation.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d say the Oscar is more similar in shape to the EB 363MOD but the instep is lower and the toe slightly more pointed - it works really well for me. I take the same size in 74945 and to me the proportions of the 74945 are perfect - not quite as stubby as the 363MOD.
Right, I wasnt so much talking about the shape. I like the 74945 shape better than the 363m as well. I was mainly asking because the oscar pair I have fits well but I wouldnt want it any more snug pretty much anywhere (a sharper chisel at the outer toe would probably ok)

Anyway, I'd been worried about the 74945 being too narrow and would probably request a last adjustment. Just always interested in fitment comparisons since it's a big spend and hard to get fitted.

Apologies for the off topic...

CrashBurner

Reaction score
Right, I wasnt so much talking about the shape. I like the 74945 shape better than the 363m as well. I was mainly asking because the oscar pair I have fits well but I wouldnt want it any more snug pretty much anywhere (a sharper chisel at the outer toe would probably ok)

Anyway, I'd been worried about the 74945 being too narrow and would probably request a last adjustment. Just always interested in fitment comparisons since it's a big spend and hard to get fitted.

Apologies for the off topic...
No problem at all. The more fitting info you get the better. I talked to Carmina last year prior to ordering 4 pairs of Jumper boots (I have a type) as an MTO - I found the grain leather Oscar Jumper a touch firm and asked them whether I should go up a half size - they suggested I stick with the same size. Please chime in anytime @Carmina - but from memory Carmina said they make Cordovan boots slightly larger to account for the lack of stretch. They were correct - the boots fit really well.

Milksteakboiledhard

Reaction score

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem at all. The more fitting info you get the better. I talked to Carmina last year prior to ordering 4 pairs of Jumper boots (I have a type) as an MTO - I found the grain leather Oscar Jumper a touch firm and asked them whether I should go up a half size - they suggested I stick with the same size. Please chime in anytime @Carmina - but from memory Carmina said they make Cordovan boots slightly larger to account for the lack of stretch. They were correct - the boots fit really well.
Got it. So are the 74945s wider than oscar?

CrashBurner

Reaction score
No, I’d say they’re similar width and volume-wise in the vamp - the 74945 is slightly longer with a tapered and elongated toe.

mirinjobra

Reaction score
I'm really torn on what to do - I have a forest jodhpur that fits great - adequate toe room, instep is just perfect. I've heard people say Robert should be sized the same as forest, but also read that some people size up on Robert by 1/2..

Do these MTO waiver promotions only run once a year? I will be in NYC on Jan 2nd to try out the Robert last and maybe order later that year..

On another note, do you guys think the 80229 in a snuff and brown suede would look better in a Robert or Forest last? Does the Robert last make the boot more formal looking? I intend to wear them for casual use. This is the boot in question, debating whether to do it in Robert or Forest

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I'm really torn on what to do - I have a forest jodhpur that fits great - adequate toe room, instep is just perfect. I've heard people say Robert should be sized the same as forest, but also read that some people size up on Robert by 1/2..

Do these MTO waiver promotions only run once a year? I will be in NYC on Jan 2nd to try out the Robert last and maybe order later that year..

On another note, do you guys think the 80229 in a snuff and brown suede would look better in a Robert or Forest last? Does the Robert last make the boot more formal looking? I intend to wear them for casual use. This is the boot in question, debating whether to do it in Robert or Forest

View attachment 1256334
Difficult choice, isn't it ? ;-)
Yesterday I order a pair of half brogues oxford without medaillion in Forest last.
Today, I mail Carmina to change just the last and replace it by the Robert, lol.
A question of taste. Forest is more classical and got a taller toe box (that is perfect for boots). Robert is very similar but a very little less pointed and with a toe box that goes down faster.
I have a preference for Robert.

But Forest is classy too :
Screenshot_20191009_201727_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Rodolphe

Reaction score

View attachment 1256334
Sorry, it's for a pair of boots.
According to me, Forest is a little better for boots because of the taller toe box.
I think that Forest makes the boots more formal (Carmina use this last for their Balmoral boots).
If you bet on the harmonious shapes of the boots rather than its casual look, take the Forest. If it's the opposite, take Robert.
Knowing that even with a more formal last, the suede leather makes the boot looks casual anyway.

bamgrinus

Reaction score
If you're looking for a casual boot I might consider Oscar over Robert. It leans casual and I haven't heard many people say they've had problems fitting it. Same size as Forest for me.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
If you're looking for a casual boot I might consider Oscar over Robert. It leans casual and I haven't heard many people say they've had problems fitting it. Same size as Forest for me.
Effectively, Oscar is, according to me, the best last for derby boots (and Forest for Balmoral boots).

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.