• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

danadd94

Reaction score
I have a pair of Lloret derby boot in shell. This pair is UK8 and fits me pretty well with thicker socks.

I am usually in between UK7.5 & UK8 and I have the following Carmina lasts/sizes

- Rain UK 7.5 wholecut chelsea in museum calf - fits well with thin socks
- Simpson UK 8 penny loafer in suede - very tight (comfortably) fitting with medium thickness socks
- Simpson UK 8.5 unlined chukka in shell - generally too loose all around with thick socks - definitely need insole but I feel the last just doesn't work for me
- Lloret UK8 derby boot in shell - roomy fitting with medium thickness socks

I heard shell boots are usually larger than calf boots in the same size as they are not lasted as tightly as the calf ones.

Hope this helps!
That was actually very helpful, thank you!

chatelet

Reaction score
I suspect many/most on SF may prefer polo, perhaps because it is still a little less popular, but I own both and find myself going for the snuff much more often (and own a lot more snuff suede than polo suede). It's the OG suede for me. :cool:
Can I please trouble you for a photo of snuff vs polo colour?

eremita

Reaction score
This is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with:

(1) the pony leather? I’m presuming it’s much less durable and so probably not a good buy. I have been admiring the leopard pony slippers (women’s) for a long while but I’m trying to curb my natural impulse to make impractical purchases...

(2) the women’s brogue boot on the Oscaria last? I think I’d love them for my life outside of work (however meagre it may be) but I’m looking for something I can wear with my fairly conservative office wardrobe, and these look a bit sporty to me. Some real life photos would help but I’m not finding much...

Attachments

mirinjobra

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a last to use for a traditional wingtip boot? I only know my size in Forest and Inca and I was thinking to use the Forest last. I had considered the Robert last as well but I'm not sure that the brogueing would look right on the punched toe cap. Also, is the Forest last sized the same as Robert?

The carmina store associate advised that Robert would be slimmer.. in the toebox. And also would have a lower instep.

mykii2704

Reaction score
This is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with:

(1) the pony leather? I’m presuming it’s much less durable and so probably not a good buy. I have been admiring the leopard pony slippers (women’s) for a long while but I’m trying to curb my natural impulse to make impractical purchases...

(2) the women’s brogue boot on the Oscaria last? I think I’d love them for my life outside of work (however meagre it may be) but I’m looking for something I can wear with my fairly conservative office wardrobe, and these look a bit sporty to me. Some real life photos would help but I’m not finding much...
my significant other loved the oscaria for comfort and it looks very appropriate for the wingtip design. It reminds me of the Detroit last suiting the wingtip design for men (not that they resemble the Detroit necessarily). But they're sleek enough, I don't think they look sporty personally. Perhaps opt away from the thicker welt options.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a last to use for a traditional wingtip boot? I only know my size in Forest and Inca and I was thinking to use the Forest last. I had considered the Robert last as well but I'm not sure that the brogueing would look right on the punched toe cap. Also, is the Forest last sized the same as Robert?

The carmina store associate advised that Robert would be slimmer.. in the toebox. And also would have a lower instep.
I used Llubi for my Amarreto pair from the first run. Same last used on the stock green shell WTB.

George Red

Reaction score
I suspect many/most on SF may prefer polo, perhaps because it is still a little less popular, but I own both and find myself going for the snuff much more often (and own a lot more snuff suede than polo suede). It's the OG suede for me. :cool:
100% agree. Snuff is king.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snuff and polo are both our best selling suede colours. They match very nicely with jeans and chinos.

@Rodolphe

Our boxcalf leathers are sourced from Tannery d'Annonay and Weinheimer in the case of black boxcalf. These leathers are finished and given a final shine at the tannery.

Vegano leather however, is unfinished. Meaning, we give the shoes the final colour and shine here at the factory. Vegano would be a better option if you would like to create patinas or burnishings.

Of course, we can replace hooks for eyelets. We can create olive green or purple cordovan here at the factory.
examples of the purple cordovan @Carmina

Rodolphe

Reaction score

robert forest.JPG

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any fitment knowledge of the lloret last? I'm thinking of doing an MTO for the derby boot on it.

@Carmina can you show a comparison of the lloret vs Oscar vs Rain lasts?

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, we do not have lloret in the comparison tool since it is a last under development.

Also @Carmina , will the color 4 group receive an waive for the MTO fee and is there an updated estimate of when it will be available? I'm trying to decide if I order something in Armagnac now or wait for color 4... Thanks in advance!

We will let the members on the list know as soon as nº 4 reaches the factory. Nonetheless, we should be getting leather for around 10 boots. Meaning, depending on what models users select we will be able to extend the leather for more orders.

zag73

Reaction score
@Carmina what edge colour do you normally pair with chestnut grain? If it makes any difference , the sole will be a dainite double.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I find, personnaly, that the Oscar last is more logical for boots. Because of the high upper, the cap toe sould be high enought to harmonize the entire shape of the boots.
Even the balmoral boots, which are more formal than the derby's one, are in Forest last, which has a taller cap toe than lasts like Rain, Robert, etc.
Just my two cents.

CrashBurner

Reaction score
We will let the members on the list know as soon as nº 4 reaches the factory. Nonetheless, we should be getting leather for around 10 boots. Meaning, depending on what models users select we will be able to extend the leather for more orders.
Thanks for the clarification @Carmina - I’m pleased I got onboard early ;-)

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.