• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally decided on my first pair: the 910 Rain last wholecuts in black.
Can anyone comment as to the relative shipping times/methods of Carmina (via web store) and Skoaktiebolaget? And also whether they are shut down for the holidays?
FWIW I'm in Australia...

good choice on the shoe.
my personal experience is, unless you're going to save a massive amount of $ somewhere else -
it doesn't get much better than dealing with Betty directly.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought those off the Carmina web store - took about two weeks to get to Australia and I didn't get an indication of when they were shipped. They just turned up with no warning.

Betty was helpful in chasing up the shipping information for me. The only thing was that I asked for her help in following this up about two weeks after I'd bought them. She got back to me within a day but the shoes arrived a couple of hours before her message did
smile.gif

I guess the point here is that although no communication was sent, the purchase went through without any issues. I don't recall having that issue with a previous pair of shoes I'd bought from the Carmina website though.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gerry. I'm moving house in about three weeks so I'd like them before then, although I may have them delivered to work to be on the safe side.

Sko AB is about $40 dearer than the Carmina website, but if the difference means quicker/more reliable shipping, I'll consider it.

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

I've finally decided on my first pair: the 910 Rain last wholecuts in black.
Can anyone comment as to the relative shipping times/methods of Carmina (via web store) and Skoaktiebolaget? And also whether they are shut down for the holidays?
FWIW I'm in Australia...

The holidays are over in Sweden, back to normal work week today.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Thanks Gerry. I'm moving house in about three weeks so I'd like them before then, although I may have them delivered to work to be on the safe side.
Sko AB is about $40 dearer than the Carmina website, but if the difference means quicker/more reliable shipping, I'll consider it.

Carmina uses DHL to ship (this means duties will be incurred if you're above the limit)...charged me 50 Euro for shipping i think...Oz will be a little more. SKAB uses swedish post which can take 7-10 days but chances are you will pay no tax. I didnt.

There's nothing better than buying from Carmina...if they have the model you want. The other dealers are good for the designs that Carmina doesnt display on their estore.

Last edited:

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very impressed with Skoaktiebolaget's service.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina uses DHL to ship (this means duties will be incurred if you're above the limit)...charged me 50 Euro for shipping i think...Oz will be a little more. SKAB uses swedish post which can take 7-10 days but chances are you will pay no tax. I didnt.

There's nothing better than buying from Carmina...if they have the model you want. The other dealers are good for the designs that Carmina doesnt display on their estore.

It's 50Euro as well for postage by DHL. It got here in about 5 days, no duties here for products under $1000.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know what a Brown Vergano is? How is it compared to Calf Leather?

Thanks.

Vegan Leather is faux. Vagano is just a more supple type of calf. Here's from Tom at LS:

"Just another type of calf Alden uses. It is slightly more supple without losing too much of the shine of regular dress calf. It's a great leather for casual and semi dress shoes.

Aloha,

Tom"

Hope he doesn't mind me swiping that from his blog...but here is the link. I'm also selling a pair of Alden boots in this leather, its very soft, much softer than regular calf, and beautiful.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...ng-saddle-lsw/

What I know personally is that it's very soft and the brown is beautiful. Here's a pic of one of my two pairs in the leather

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find 'Vegano Burnished Calf' as a product of the Tannerie d'Annonay.

http://www.tannerie-annonay.fr/en/index.htm

I am TOTALLY guessing here, but I'm betting this leather is chrome tanned and veg retanned/dyed. (Thus the name 'Vegano') This is a good method for producing a slightly softer leather with a 'deeper' finish effect than chrome tanned and analine dyed. And a leather that is softer and more flexible than a typical all vegetable tanned leather.

Last edited:

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

As orthodoxy goes, Neutral is a n no. Mac method, Nick Horween, Alden , Alden Carmel etc... Too much buildup of a neutral over the impregnable hide will never allow the patina to develop. A minority disagree, but a polish every 15 wears or so should be of a colored wax ( some say cream). Just sayin, 20 yrs of wearing a dozen pair and never used neutral. Bring it on, I won't argue

I agree. Neutral should be used very little as it will dry the shoes in the long run and crack the leather (it lacks any pigments by design). Use it on the soles of the shoes and once a year only on the upper. Use a shade lighter or darker of teh original color on the uppers depending on your patina building taste and goal.

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find 'Vegano Burnished Calf' as a product of the Tannerie d'Annonay.
http://www.tannerie-annonay.fr/en/index.htm
I am TOTALLY guessing here, but I'm betting this leather is chrome tanned and veg retanned/dyed. (Thus the name 'Vegano') This is a good method for producing a slightly softer leather with a 'deeper' finish effect than chrome tanned and analine dyed. And a leather that is softer and more flexible than a typical all vegetable tanned leather.

What about creasing? Less so?

Creasing keeps me away from CXL. Shell waves are so nice, especially in black.

runningfrog

Reaction score
cross post from Epaulet x Carmina MTO

omg omg OMG!!!

these two MTOs came out amazing. my crappy iphone pics don't do them justice. don't sleep on the next round of pre-orders. you NEED python and ruby! :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads