Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. diglett

diglett Senior member

Not arguing, but inquiring: What to do when Saphir doesn't have an appropriate color of wax? I have one (soon to be two) pairs of Ruby shell shoes, and unsurprisingly haven't found a corresponding Saphir cream.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I'm currently quite happy with the Saphir Cordovan Cream in Neutral. It's basically all conditioner, little to no wax, so no whitish buildup. I'm using it on my Green, Cognac and 'Brown' shell shoes to good effect.

If we were talking nuetral polish I would agree completely with the dissenter above.

3. diglett

diglett Senior member

^ All right, I don't know what the differences in cream and polish are, so I'm going to peruse the Shoe Care thread before badgering you lads with already-answered questions.

But I'll keep that comment about the neutral in mind, Gdot. Thanks.

4. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

I use Saphir Renovatuer only, but if the cream works for you, then no argument. There is only one inarguable point, and that is that wax or cream should only be used sparingly- as in every 15 or so polishings. There are too many oils and tallow that leech outward, and virtually nothing gets into the leather. Rarely do shells of even 30 yrs of age have drying issues. Horween feeds oils into the leather already naturally filled with foaling wax so much so during the lengthy dying and immersion, that water and hard brushing are the every week method. Saphir, to me is the best product, but others use Lexol. I simply think that any added product is a shield that doesn't allow the shell to leech, as it and bridle do. Water, Brush, and the occasional "whatever you want".
    To illustrate conflict betwen the two largest end users of Horween- Alden is doctrinally against creams. AE specifically calls for cream, or creme. It has everything to do with the ingrediants. Simply stay away fro any petroleum distillates, and you won't dry it.

5. bespoken4me

I use Saphir Renovatuer only, but if the cream works for you, then no argument. There is only one inarguable point, and that is that wax or cream should only be used sparingly- as in every 15 or so polishings. There are too many oils and tallow that leech outward, and virtually nothing gets into the leather. Rarely do shells of even 30 yrs of age have drying issues. Horween feeds oils into the leather already naturally filled with foaling wax so much so during the lengthy dying and immersion, that water and hard brushing are the every week method. Saphir, to me is the best product, but others use Lexol. I simply think that any added product is a shield that doesn't allow the shell to leech, as it and bridle do. Water, Brush, and the occasional "whatever you want".
    To illustrate conflict betwen the two largest end users of Horween- Alden is doctrinally against creams. AE specifically calls for cream, or creme. It has everything to do with the ingrediants. Simply stay away fro any petroleum distillates, and you won't dry it.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I had a bad reaction with Renovateur on Alden whiskey shell. Some sort of reaction that left tiny little black spots all over the shoe that I have not been able to remove. No negative reactions from the Saphir Cordovan Cream.

In any case - little to no wax for sure.

It is also worth noting that Alden shell shoes arrive with a finish that is unlike the shell I've seen from any other maker - it's much slicker and less porous than the shell I've seen from C&J and Carmina.

7. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

have you ever used the saphir leather lotion on any shell mr. G ?

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

No - but I do use it on my calf shoes. I started using it after I ran out of Reno. It seems to moisturize well. It takes up less 'color' from the shoes. So I presume it has less solvent in it and does not remove as much existing wax?

9. bespoken4me

Please excuse any typos, as it was a tipsy p.m of sad football. Yes, Alden has the corner on Shell, always has and notwithstanding the recent Euro infatuation with it, has a finishing grade above all other makers- always. Color 8 is the most elusive of colors in light and only Alden gets the product in a finish that makes it so- Eggplant? Whatever purples and browns that come through, are never found on other makers.
    Further, Alden's Ravello and Cigar- good luck with any other maker than MTO Vass, Lattanzi and EG. C&J, a simple brown walnut. Alden has the "corner"- if only they had the lasts

10. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

Yes, that's what I've found to be the case. Simpson = +1/2 to normal UK size as it's the narrowest last offered by Carmina. I'm a size 9UK in all other Carmina lasts and I wear 9.5UK in all Simpon-lasted models.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

11. cgo

cgo Senior member

Thanks for that

12. bespoken4me

I respectfully disagree. I own both lasts as well as Rain. The sizing in Carmina has everything to do with width- mid foot to toe. You will simply end up with a longer shoe, which, with the elongated, slimmer Simpson will make it that much more cartoonish. The last function of Carmina, vs. Alden and EG, is about width. If your foot is too wide- go with a different last. This isn't like Barrie or Plaza vs. Aberdeen in Alden or 82 vs 88 in EG. The footbed and ball width is simply narrower. Consider

13. bespoken4me

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I believe both TSM boots are on Forest.

15. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I've finally decided on my first pair: the 910 Rain last wholecuts in black.

Can anyone comment as to the relative shipping times/methods of Carmina (via web store) and Skoaktiebolaget? And also whether they are shut down for the holidays?

FWIW I'm in Australia...