• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chatelet

Reaction score
@Carmina I know we cannot return MTO shoes, but what about GMTO? Tempted to jump on the suede chelseas but no experience with Sineu last (I take Forest EEE)...

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina I know we cannot return MTO shoes, but what about GMTO? Tempted to jump on the suede chelseas but no experience with Sineu last (I take Forest EEE)...
Sineu is only EE, and seems to be in between rain and forest. I'm also a forest EEE, so I was glad they allowed us to change lasts on the shell chukkas.
I have not tried this last personally since I'm a lady.

However, our CEO mentioned the instep is very generous and anyone comfortable in Rain or Forest would find it perfect. As per the toe area, it should be more spacious than rain and a tad smaller than forest.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Trying to see if I can order my first pair of Carminas. I see the Rain last offered in standard, wide, and EEE fitting according to their description. Two questions in particular for this cordovan model on sale: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/dress-shoes-summer-sale/wholecut-oxfords-natural-cordovan-910

1 - Description says standard fitting for the natural color model - how does this compare to AE 201 last? (Neumok 2.0) or 511 last? (Dalton dress boots)

2 - It looks I can order a size that's not in stock and still get the sale price. How long has folks in the same boat typically waited to get their shoes?

@Carmina

Thanks!

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to see if I can order my first pair of Carminas. I see the Rain last offered in standard, wide, and EEE fitting according to their description. Two questions in particular for this cordovan model on sale: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/dress-shoes-summer-sale/wholecut-oxfords-natural-cordovan-910

1 - Description says standard fitting for the natural color model - how does this compare to AE 201 last? (Neumok 2.0) or 511 last? (Dalton dress boots)

2 - It looks I can order a size that's not in stock and still get the sale price. How long has folks in the same boat typically waited to get their shoes?

@Carmina

Thanks!
What size are you in the AE lasts? Know that Carmina's EEE is equal to american E, not the EEE you're used to with AE.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Carmina

Thanks!
What size are you in the AE lasts? Know that Carmina's EEE is equal to american E, not the EEE you're used to with AE.
Let’s say you were 9D in the AE 201. Compared to that AE, Rain in 8EE UK (EE being standard width for Rain) would have a bit more room in the instep, a much bigger heel, and likely less room for the pinky toe due to the taper.

If you were 9E in the 511, 8EE UK Rain would be pretty similar in instep and heel, though less room for pinky toes due to taper.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That was fast!

@madhat I wear a 7.5 e in the 511 due to a not so normal foot shape that I have. Some room in the toe and heel but the pinky just has a bit of wiggle room.

Edited as @jet-stream answered my question earlier.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding recent discussions of cordovan and burnishing:
First, in most photos, highlights are blown out, so shoes appear shinier and more burnished in photos than they do in person.

Second, achieving a high level of shine on cordovan is not as hard as one might expect. See my cordovan guide (which used to be re-posted on the Hanger Project): https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc.228153/page-96#post-5216113
I have also tried neutral shell cordovan creme polish, which does produce an even greater shine. However, I prefer the deeper, more "lustrous" appearance without polish to the harder, more "superficial" appearance with.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Trying to compare Meermin's cordovan vs Carmina's offerings. For those who own both perhaps would you say the quality on the Carmina's are better to the point to warrant the $USD 200 to 300+ difference?

stook1

Reaction score
Just FYI, Meermin doesn't use Horween cordovan. Whether or not that's worth the cost difference is up to you. Carmina does a really excellent job with cordovan. I don't personally have any experience with Meermin but I do think they are a good value for what they are.

Trying to compare Meermin's cordovan vs Carmina's offerings. For those who own both perhaps would you say the quality on the Carmina's are better to the point to warrant the $USD 200 to 300+ difference?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, Meermin doesn't use Horween cordovan. Whether or not that's worth the cost difference is up to you. Carmina does a really excellent job with cordovan. I don't personally have any experience with Meermin but I do think they are a good value for what they are.
I have never owned any shell from Meermin (though I own quite a bit from Carmina). I have handled meermin shell and have a bit of experience with the brand.

With those caveats, my opinion is that meermin shell is a very good value; construction is (usually) decent and the material is good.

At full retail prices, I think Carmina presents the best value in shell there is. Materials and quality are absolutely top-notch. I happily pay the price difference. YMMV, of course.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.