• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

woofmang

Reaction score
I might be able to help if you provide your AE lasts/sizes that fit best. However, if at all possible, I would certainly recommend trying on before getting an MTO.
Appreciate your willingness to help, and of course, you're right: ideally, I would want to get fitted in person, but the closest Carmina retailer is ~750 miles from where I live, so that's not an option right now...

My AE lasts and sizes:

Boulder Driving Moc (Handsewn 145 Last) in 9.5E is a bit long, but fits well in the toe box (instep is fine, if a bit of a non-issue, as it's a Venetian loafer)
Surrey Chukka and Higgins Mill (1757 Last) in 9.5E both fit well in toe box and instep
Mackenzie (2531 Last) in 9.5E fits well in the toe box, but doesn't have quite enough volume in the instep (there's a pronounced "V" in the quarters when laced up)

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This rule would break @madhat
Haha! It would be a beneficial tactic though!
Appreciate your willingness to help, and of course, you're right: ideally, I would want to get fitted in person, but the closest Carmina retailer is ~750 miles from where I live, so that's not an option right now...

My AE lasts and sizes:

Boulder Driving Moc (Handsewn 145 Last) in 9.5E is a bit long, but fits well in the toe box (instep is fine, if a bit of a non-issue, as it's a Venetian loafer)
Surrey Chukka and Higgins Mill (1757 Last) in 9.5E both fit well in toe box and instep
Mackenzie (2531 Last) in 9.5E fits well in the toe box, but doesn't have quite enough volume in the instep (there's a pronounced "V" in the quarters when laced up)
My guess is Detroit EEE at 8.5 is your starting point. Your 9E barrie closure doesn't indicate excessively large instep volume. BUT, my carmina knowledge is very limited (only tried Detroit EEE and Forest EEE)

woofmang

Reaction score

My guess is Detroit EEE at 8.5 is your starting point. Your 9E barrie closure doesn't indicate excessively large instep volume. BUT, my carmina knowledge is very limited (only tried Detroit EEE and Forest EEE)
Thanks, madhat - appreciate the help. :)

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My AE lasts and sizes:

Thanks, madhat - appreciate the help. :)
I’ll agree with madhat - Detroit (probably EEE) is likely the safest bet. Rain or Inca could work instep-wise, but each has a toebox limitation (big toe for Inca, little toe for Rain). Llubi could potentially work as well - similar to the HM fit but with an instep that is rather higher.

If it was me, I’d probably wait until I knew my size - the NYC store may do a customization event again this fall. However, if you’re definitely going to do it, Detroit is the best guess.

woofmang

Reaction score
I’ll agree with madhat - Detroit (probably EEE) is likely the safest bet. Rain or Inca could work instep-wise, but each has a toebox limitation (big toe for Inca, little toe for Rain). Llubi could potentially work as well - similar to the HM fit but with an instep that is rather higher.

If it was me, I’d probably wait until I knew my size - the NYC store may do a customization event again this fall. However, if you’re definitely going to do it, Detroit is the best guess.
Well, I did say "practically irresistible"... Those whole-cut boots are really pretty, but I'm a little hesitant to drop $600 on a MTO without having a good idea on sizing and last. Maybe I'll find a reason to visit NYC this summer... Thanks again for the insight. 👍

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Just came from Carmina. If you are between 2 sizes like me, take the smallest on Detroit last. My good friends at the shop gave me 2 pairs of shoeslaces for my boots . Excellent service and expertise !. FYI they closed down the Granvia shop.
20190615_171121.jpg
Rapelo, Tobaco , Snuf, Polo suedes.
20190615_171145.jpg
Bonus track for fashion shoelovers.
20190615_173302.jpg20190615_170045.jpg

chatelet

Reaction score

Can you please explain the difference between Detroit EEE and Forest EEE? I own Forest EEE and it is still a little tight. Unfortunately don’t have anywhere to try on Detroit EEE (and there is no RTW) so MTO would be a big risk.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you please explain the difference between Detroit EEE and Forest EEE? I own Forest EEE and it is still a little tight. Unfortunately don’t have anywhere to try on Detroit EEE (and there is no RTW) so MTO would be a big risk.
Detroit has a bit wider heel, but not really more room than forest up front. I wish i'd taken notes in NYC...they had forest and Detroit EEE in my size (a black shell PTB). I think Detroit may have squished my pinky toe more but had more room for my big toe, but not a huge difference. @jet-stream @007Bond or @peppercorn78 may be able to give a better comparison.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score

On a side note, the search function on the carmina site actually works really well. Put in a pattern or last and it gives results not only for what's currently available but also styles and patterns that aren't currently listed anywhere else.
I'd been wanting this style for so long! Sadly there's no shell cordovan option (but this came as no surprise to me .... I kinda understand the reason).

Anyhow, since the shell is not an option, there gone my automatic choice. As a result, I can't decide which leather to get .... so I just ordered (customized, that is) 2 pairs :)

Now another 45 days give or take.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd been wanting this style for so long! Sadly there's no shell cordovan option (but this came as no surprise to me .... I kinda understand the reason).

Anyhow, since the shell is not an option, there gone my automatic choice. As a result, I can't decide which leather to get .... so I just ordered (customized, that is) 2 pairs :)

Now another 45 days give or take.
Yup seen this, was so excited as I have been wanting these, went to order no shell so sadly passed.

vivalavie

Reaction score
Hi all. Some-time lurker, first post though. I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk here could help me work out what to look for in my next pair of Carmina shoes. I have had some useful diagrams and measurements from emailing Carmina directly, but would appreciate some guidance on the following:

- Do people generally take the same size for both shoes and boots in the same last from Carmina?
- Is a lace-up boot more forgiving in terms of sizing than a style that doesn't use laces?
- Do people generally take the same size in both Oscar and Rain lasts?

Thank you!

(For reference, I currently own a pair of single monks in size 9 Rain that are slightly too big but are a good fit with added inserts. I purchased them from the outlet with the intention of seeing how they worked with sizing and am happy with the shoes.)

bamgrinus

Reaction score
Hi all. Some-time lurker, first post though. I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk here could help me work out what to look for in my next pair of Carmina shoes. I have had some useful diagrams and measurements from emailing Carmina directly, but would appreciate some guidance on the following:

- Do people generally take the same size for both shoes and boots in the same last from Carmina?
- Is a lace-up boot more forgiving in terms of sizing than a style that doesn't use laces?
- Do people generally take the same size in both Oscar and Rain lasts?

Thank you!

(For reference, I currently own a pair of single monks in size 9 Rain that are slightly too big but are a good fit with added inserts. I purchased them from the outlet with the intention of seeing how they worked with sizing and am happy with the shoes.)
1. I haven't seen a need to size differently for shoes and boots in the same last.
2. Well, loafers are notoriously difficult to size in general, and you can wear different socks with boots that'll fill up some space. But I don't really find that most of Carmina's boots are meant to be worn with thicker socks.
3. I think most people do size Oscar and Rain the same, but I go TTS on Oscar and 1/2 down on Rain. Judging by your description of how 9 Rain fits I'd probably recommend 9 Oscar.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.