• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid in wet weather but after seeing..

Leather with the JR-Brand label is waterproof and extremely abrasion resistant, tough yet flexible, very comfortable to wear and optically distinguished by its attractive grain and warm, woody colour.

Maybe I should not...
To be clear, I don’t slosh through puddles or anything. But, I do wear them in the rain.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid in wet weather but after seeing..

Leather with the JR-Brand label is waterproof and extremely abrasion resistant, tough yet flexible, very comfortable to wear and optically distinguished by its attractive grain and warm, woody colour.

Maybe I should not...
My JR soles I'm sporting today have water stains on them from their last wear. I personally don't shy away from water in them, but like stephen I've got too many shoes to make a relevant contribution to sole life.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If JR leather is really as waterproof as Danite and as noted in the description extremely durable like Danite then I would have to pick the JR over Danite as leather is much more comfy.

I guess next rain storm with expected puddles it's gonna be JR to the test. Hmm do I have a JR with a storm welt gonna have to ck on that one....

oskrusa

Reaction score
I’ve got too many pair to provide a definitive answer to that question. I wear a pair at most 3 times a year.
Hi @stephenaf2003, that's a sweet volume of pairs!!

Performing a quick math: assuming that you don't wear any shoes on weekends, that leaves us with about 260 days of footwear a year, then divided by 3, it brings us to about 85+ pair of shoes, minimum.

How do you keep track of your rotation? I am curious, I have about a 1/3 of that number and i struggle.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003, that's a sweet volume of pairs!!

Performing a quick math: assuming that you don't wear any shoes on weekends, that leaves us with about 260 days of footwear a year, then divided by 3, it brings us to about 85+ pair of shoes, minimum.

How do you keep track of your rotation? I am curious, I have about a 1/3 of that number and i struggle.
I'm within earshot of that; I have a spreadsheet that tracks total wears, days since last wear, and most disturbingly, costs.

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to get some information about the Calvia last. Is this Carmina's most rounded last? I'm planning on customizing a Derby 531 in burgundy cordovan in the near future and I want the shoe to look more robust.

That would be great if I can see a picture of a Calvia last, thank you in advance.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???
They're darn close if not a 100%. Not fully as longlasting as my dainite soles but night and day compared to other leather soles.

oskrusa

Reaction score
I'm within earshot of that; I have a spreadsheet that tracks total wears, days since last wear, and most disturbingly, costs.
Thank-you @madhat, for the input.

I assume you incorporated the updating of the spreadsheet on a daily basis as part of your routine.
I would guess you pick the shoes you're wearing any given day before the rest of your outfit, and you select a pair after glancing at the sheet.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks for the insights.

bamgrinus

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to get some information about the Calvia last. Is this Carmina's most rounded last? I'm planning on customizing a Derby 531 in burgundy cordovan in the near future and I want the shoe to look more robust.

That would be great if I can see a picture of a Calvia last, thank you in advance.
I think the only shoes that use the Calvia right now are the sneakers. It's fairly new.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank-you @madhat, for the input.

I assume you incorporated the updating of the spreadsheet on a daily basis as part of your routine.
I would guess you pick the shoes you're wearing any given day before the rest of your outfit, and you select a pair after glancing at the sheet.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks for the insights.
Pretty much! :D

jctune

Reaction score

Since I haven't seen Calvia in anything than a sneaker I would shy away for something non-sneaker - unless you are willing to be in the vanguard!

Sounds to me that you want either Detroit or Oscar. Oscar with a stormwelt is a beefy looking shoe.

That said, here's some Calvia.

bamgrinus

Reaction score
Since I haven't seen Calvia in anything than a sneaker I would shy away for something non-sneaker - unless you are willing to be in the vanguard!

Sounds to me that you want either Detroit or Oscar. Oscar with a stormwelt is a beefy looking shoe.

That said, here's some Calvia.
Oscar would be my recommendation as well, or maybe Llubi (Soller might work too?). Detroit I actually think comes across as more dressy than you'd think, although it'll look beefier with a double sole and a storm welt.

Reaction score
Oscar would be my recommendation as well, or maybe Llubi (Soller might work too?). Detroit I actually think comes across as more dressy than you'd think, although it'll look beefier with a double sole and a storm welt.
Thanks for the info! I do have the Oscar right now in their longwings and it fits perfectly.

I’m looking for a more casual shorter rounded last and it looks like Calvia is the one. They used to have short wing grain oxford in the Calvia last but it doesn’t look like it’s on the website anymore.

I’m going to wait until Carminas no upcharge promo. I’m definitely really excited.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.