• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lumaca

Reaction score
I am curious to anyones thoughts on going with a Dainite sole or a Tomir sole on Carmina dress shoes? I am looking for a solution to wet weather, but don't want a clunky looking shoe. Would a sole guard added after market be better? Any help would be much appreciated
I actually prefer topy-style glued on rubber on top of leather sole. I think it preserves the stitching better, rather than the stitched on rubber a-la tomir where the stitches are exposed. I know that technically it doesnt compromise durability since it is lock-stitched, but I don't like how the stitches look when they're worn away.

Webbo

Reaction score
I am curious to anyones thoughts on going with a Dainite sole or a Tomir sole on Carmina dress shoes? I am looking for a solution to wet weather, but don't want a clunky looking shoe. Would a sole guard added after market be better? Any help would be much appreciated
I have the Tomir sole on a pair of their double monks and in my opinion it’s a much sleeker option than dainite. Just wish I could find this option for re-soling some of my other non Carmina shoes as I would definitely do so.

thepaladin

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m considering another frankenstitch boot from Carmina. You guys have any experience regarding the elbamat, karagrein and rusticalf leathers? Other than the look of course. Pictures are appreciated too.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Tomir sole on a pair of their double monks and in my opinion it’s a much sleeker option than dainite. Just wish I could find this option for re-soling some of my other non Carmina shoes as I would definitely do so.
Plus, Dainite is less comfortable and very slippery in wet conditions

bamgrinus

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many people are anti-Dainite here. Seems like in other circles I see people who insist on Dainite on all of their shoes. I think Dainite is barely noticeable at all from profile and while I do prefer the feel of leather I think the difference is minor.

Personally I tend to go with either leather (for dressier shoes that don't really need to withstand weather) or something like a commando sole for pairs that I want to be able to deal with heavier snow. But it doesn't rain enough here to really affect my sole choice.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many people are anti-Dainite here. Seems like in other circles I see people who insist on Dainite on all of their shoes. I think Dainite is barely noticeable at all from profile and while I do prefer the feel of leather I think the difference is minor.

Personally I tend to go with either leather (for dressier shoes that don't really need to withstand weather) or something like a commando sole for pairs that I want to be able to deal with heavier snow. But it doesn't rain enough here to really affect my sole choice.
I think the Tomir (or similar) is the best compromise sole. I almost always will choose leather, but if I needed a rubber sole it's where i'd go. Commando is ok for boots, but I personally am not a fan of shoes with commando.

WilYa

Reaction score

Another anti-dainite-er here.
IMO by look it is smarter than commando but not sleek at all when comparing to other rubber options, by comfort the carmina one is insanely stiff but it seems the original one is getting softer recently. It is also meant for countryside purpose since it can be quite slippery for city use.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???
I always choose leather over dainite, or any sole for that matter. I tend always get JR double leather when possible and wear them in any weather. My single leather not. The leather are just more comfortable for my foot.

gld edmond

Reaction score
I always choose leather over dainite, or any sole for that matter. I tend always get JR double leather when possible and wear them in any weather. My single leather not. The leather are just more comfortable for my foot.
So how long will JR soles last for you wearing year round?

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how long will JR soles last for you wearing year round?
I avoid in wet weather but after seeing..

Leather with the JR-Brand label is waterproof and extremely abrasion resistant, tough yet flexible, very comfortable to wear and optically distinguished by its attractive grain and warm, woody colour.

Maybe I should not...

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.