1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

I’ve tried the 10D and 10E in the 201. The 10E is way too wide for my skinny ankles/heels. The 10D fits well—except the orthotic raises my foot too much such that it comes out of the shoe with each step.

2. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Duplicate post

3. Subidoc

Subidoc Active Member

I wish I had this information in 2017. Very, very helpful in how you have drawn in all of the lasts. On our point I would like to query. While the 201 is a lot of volume over the 65, I don't find the Oscar in the same league. The Oscar feels better for the narrowed heel since the 201 is so full fitting. The 65 fits me perfectly, but the Oscar lacks at the support of the 65. Perhaps this is more evident to me in an Oscar balmoral boot than say a jumper.

4. AHS

AHS Senior Member

Gentlemen, excuse the interruption... but I’m looking for new or gently-used Simpson last shoes in a UK 10. Send me a PM if you have anything to sell? Thanks.

AHS

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Ah, that makes sense. In my experience, the heel of the 201 starts large and doesn’t taper (except in boots) and doesn’t go up very high. I can see how that would be a problem. Most Carminas will have more taper and may hold the heel in a bit better.

6. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

I’d put the Oscar right in between the 65 and 201 in terms of instep volume. When you say the Oscar lacks support compare to the 65, I tend to think about arch support - the excess volume keeps the leather at the instep from being pulled right, which would provide that support. If the 65 fits you well, perhaps check out Simpson or Alcudia - fairly close to the 65 in instep volume. Robert may be a little better in a boot than Oscar, as well.

7. Subidoc

Subidoc Active Member

Yes, I was referring to arch support. Thank you for adding the specifics. I will plan on trying the Simpson next time I go to NY. Please understand that this is my first time wearing a boot, and that to a balmoral. Perhaps not the smartest move, but hey, I was going to take the plunge anyway.

I tried the Oscar last jumper boot in the Paris store, and was sized there, and I think therein lies the difference... I realize now that the balmoral and derby boots of the same last fit differently. In the same vein, the 65 last from AE comes mostly as shoes, not boots. So I am now careful about assuming the instep will be the same as a boot equivalent, either balmoral or derby style boot or shoe, that is. Too many variables... (Sigh).

8. 007Bond

007Bond Distinguished Member

PSA A few nice shoes on the outlet in case anyone is interested. Several more I am just highlighting a few good ones sell fast.

CORDOVAN CHUKKA BOOTS 708 OSCAR UK9.5
    Was $850.00
    Now $595.00

chukka_boots_burgundy_cordovan_708_l.jpg

CORDOVAN DERBY SHOES 80421 ROBERT UK11.5
    Was $750.00
    Now $450.00

cordovan_blucher_burgundy_80421_l.jpg

OXFORD SHOES 10000 RAIN UK8.5
    $750.00
    $525.00

oxfords_navy_crocodile_boxcalf_10000_l.jpg

CORDOVAN WINGTIP DOUBLE MONK STRAP 80114 RAIN UK7.5
    BOURBON CORDOVAN WINGTIP DOUBLE MONK STRAP SHOES
    Was $750.00
    Now $525.00

double_monk_strap_bourbon_cordovan_80114_T_l-2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM

9. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

Cordovan, double monk strap, wing tip....that’s the Golden Trifecta!

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I have that same chukka but on Detroit. It’s. Fantastic patttern. One of the very best chukkas out there, IMO

11. stook1

stook1 Active Member

I just bought them ;)
    We'll see how the sizing works out. Coincidentally, I was in the NY store last week and tried the PTBs in the Oscar last a half size down and wondered if they might be a bit too snug even though they were comfortable. With thicker socks, I suspect half down from brannock might do the trick (I'm a 10D/E US).

12. stook1

stook1 Active Member

13. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

LOL who fakes used Carminas?!

14. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

20190212_204036.jpg

15. dangaa

dangaa Well-Known Member

Some sizing advice needed here -

Carlos Santos 8UK in 333/316 lasts

Suggestions/sizing for the following needed:

Rain
    Forest
    Robert
    Simpson

Predominately looking for boots (shoes fit the same?)

TIA!