1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Wow, that natty monk is gonna be killer

2. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

3. Carmina

Carmina Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

We might be able to offer some guidance, please let us know the sizes you generally wear with other brands.

4. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

My issue is complex. I have a very skinny ankle and skinny heel. I also have flat feet. To correct flat feet, I wear an orthotic. Unfortunately, the orthotic changes what shoes I can wear. For example, without the orthotic, I am a 10D in many Allen Edmonds lasts: 65, 42, and 201. Once I use the orthotic, I have to increase to 10.5 in the 65 and 42 lasts or my foot won’t fit in. Unfortunately, the 201 in 10.5 somehow has too much room, and my heel slips out with every step. I can wear boots in the 201 though in 10.5 and probably also 10 though. Then other lasts are similarly complicated. In the 1943, I wear a 10.5. In the 1757-lasted Chelsea boot, I wear a 10.5, but in a chukka or lace-up (Higgins Mill), I wear a 10.

5. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

Whatever happened to the Burger last. Is that still an option for MTO?

6. zag73

zag73 Senior Member

Ran off with the fries

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

8. GFox

GFox Active Member

It’s a shame I bought my first pair of black Oxford last week I would really consider buying this one I really like it (and shoe trees included!).

9. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

@007Bond , on these things I’m a bit of a rebel. I pay no attention to conventions of what I should and shouldn’t wear with certain outfits. My advice will get you in trouble, I go with if it looks good to me, I wear it.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

11. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior Member

These arrived yesterday: single MTO Adelaide cap toes in brown box calf. A little disappointed that some changes I had requested to my order weren’t implemented (just as a couple fellow members warned me about). I had asked Carmina if they could change the last choice in my order to Alcudia and they confirmed changes but alas these are Rain lasted, per the original order. Don’t think I’ll make too much of a fuss though as these are pretty damn nice and rain last fits me pretty well.
    4AC5DCC9-85EC-4793-B66C-220AD57206A9.jpeg

12. zag73

zag73 Senior Member

Very nice shoe

13. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior Member

Thanks zag.

14. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

EZB, if I’m interpreting this correctly, the 10.5 in 201 is probably too big due to cone/instep volume - the 201 is higher volume than the 65. The orthotic doesn’t change the length you need, just the volume. 10 US sounds like your length, and I’d be curious to see how you would do with a 10E in the sizes you mention; I suspect you would find a better fit (though perhaps not in the heel). Boots are a bit easier since you have more shoe holding you in place.

Fortunately, this translates pretty easily to Carmina. Simpson fits very similar to the 65 - if 10.5D US works, go with 9.5UK Simpson. Alcudia is similar, though it might get to the point where it starts to have too much cone (instep is in between the 65 and 201). Same for Uetam, but I’d steer away - no idea how orthotic would interact with loafers.

Rain, Inca, Llubi, and Soller are quite high-volume (though note that Rain and Inca both have toe limitations to be aware of). I’d go with 9 UK there, and it might actually work well with the orthotic.

Robert, Forest, Oscar, and the other “normal” fitting Carmina lasts are similar in volume to the 201 - Carmina makes a higher cone in general. I’d also guess 9 UK, but it really depends on the orthotic and how close the fit of the 201 in 10D is.

Hope this helps - note that while Carmina does charge for returns, they do not charge for exchanges...