1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

Is it a rough spot or is it bloom? Try brushing for about 10mins...

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

In my experience, bloom is usually not rough.

3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

Do you guys take Simpson and Rain in the same size? I wear a 1/2 size smaller in Rain but when I look at Carmina's line drawing of the two, both lasts are almost identical in shape.

4. pediwear

pediwear Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

I take a half a size smaller in the Rain, and this is what we advise most of our customers to purchase. A last is a three-dimensional beast - so the line drawing doesn't tell the full story.

5. 007Bond

007Bond Distinguished Member

Highly debatable, opinions vary. History: yes in the past even the Carmina web site said that for the Simpson size up 1/2 for all.

BUT IMO this is not the case, and for the shoes I have done this for (lace up) I regret and will never do again. So for me I would say lace up Simpson same size as Rain, slip on Simpson half up.

BIGGER But, now on the Carmina website in reference to Simpson sizing it says this for all lace ups "Simpson is one of our narrowest last, we use to recommend to upload half size on this last" and this for all slip on "As it is is one of our narrowest lasts, we recommend to upload half size on this last". So seems the recommendation has changed to past tense for the lace up Simpsons.

So the Carmina website echos my opinion Do Not size up for lace (same size), size up for slip on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

6. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

The only Simpson I have that the sizing seems weird is the basketweave loafer - they feel a half size larger. Otherwise the penny loafers, austerity brogues and captoe oxfords all feel similar. Rain wears incredibly large - if I were to buy them, I would size down .5 size, but Simpson fits me so well I don't have real reason to try Rain

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

8. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Senior Member

9. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Senior Member

Love the color on these bourbon loafers. These are darker than my bourbon NST boots, and I love that.
    20190118_120124.jpg

10. MGitlis

MGitlis Member

Hi 007Bond, I have the habit and problem of taking things literally, so I don't see Carmina's opinion in the past tense. They are not saying they "used to recommend...sizing up" They are stating that they "use to recommend". Not the best use of English on their part, but since I speak Portuguese and Spanish, I can tell that "we use to recommend" basically means "we normally recommend." Having said that, I think your point is valid! I only own their shoes on the Simpson last, but I'd probably take your suggestion if I were to buy one on the Rain last.

11. 007Bond

Yea I am sure you are right about the language. All I noticed is they changed how it was worded on the site. As with all sizing it's really very individual and hard to say what is right for the masses. All feet are not equal so fit will vary and if you can try before you buy always best.

For sure the laced shoes are more forgiving vs the slip on. As @benjamin831 pointed out the drawings sure do look almost the same. I think we are all on the same page. Also it depends a lot on how high your instep is whether you change the size of your Simpson.

12. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

13. 007Bond

Removing double post

14. SRV

SRV Member

Love these shoes! Navy shell, the last and the brogueing on these shoes, make them classy!

Slacks are impressive too. Flannels? Make? VBC?

15. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

yas, which flannels are those?