• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_0481 (1).jpg
DSC_0483.jpg
DSC_0484.jpg

Too bad Carmina no longer offers this shade (cognac)...these are collectors items now...my loss your gain...

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandse...184-high-boots-oscar-last-uk-10-us-11d.13927/

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Blastwice

Reaction score
I’ll rephrase. Those look like the bourbon jumpers I got last week

Agreed, these are very similar to my bourbon pair (about a year old), but perhaps more red-brown in some spots on these.

Goosey

Reaction score
I would say they're about the same in both length and width. Noticeable differences between the two is that Inca's instep is lower and heel is narrower compared to Rain. There's also a little more toe space on Inca.

I bought a pair of shoes in Inca last and I am worried that I might have made the wrong decision. An E in AE 65 last pinches my pinky toe a bit so I was worried about the Rain last being every so slightly less wide and having a more aggressive taper. So I ordered the Inca last. The heal fits pretty well and there doesn't appear to be pinching of my pinky toes. But right now, there's a lot of pressure around the top of my foot and also to the sides. I have flat but thick feet. Am I having instep problems? Will the issue solve itself after breakin? Would the Rain last have been a better fit or perhaps I need to go with Rain EE (but they don't have too many styles in that size).

bm93

Reaction score
I bought a pair of shoes in Inca last and I am worried that I might have made the wrong decision. An E in AE 65 last pinches my pinky toe a bit so I was worried about the Rain last being every so slightly less wide and having a more aggressive taper. So I ordered the Inca last. The heal fits pretty well and there doesn't appear to be pinching of my pinky toes. But right now, there's a lot of pressure around the top of my foot and also to the sides. I have flat but thick feet. Am I having instep problems? Will the issue solve itself after breakin? Would the Rain last have been a better fit or perhaps I need to go with Rain EE (but they don't have too many styles in that size).

If you're feeling pressure at the top of the foot, that would be instep problems. If the sides are tight, that would seem like a width issue. Rain would allow for more space in the instep, and maybe a little bit more in the width, but with the aggressive taper, you might be trading one problem for another and have pinched toes. Perhaps Rain in EEE would work best for you (EE is standand width for Rain). I'd advise finding a store that carries Carmina's and trying on different lasts.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone remind me of the fix to prevent my Carmina bal-boots from chewing up shoelaces from the speedhooks? This only happens on one specific pair of boots.

And yes, I ensure my boots are tightened prior to using the hooks. Can I file down or bend the speedhooks outward?

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, these are very similar to my bourbon pair (about a year old), but perhaps more red-brown in some spots on these.

Gentlemen,

Forgive me for not responding sooner. It is important to make the distinction that Cognac and Bourbon are two completely different shades of cordovan. The former being permanently discontinued as per my conversations with Carmina.

Also, when I toured the Horween factory (last year IIRC) I had extensive conversations with Skip and Nick regarding this very thing.

I am trusting that another pic comparing 2 recent batches of Alden Ravello contrasted with Carmina (old discontinued) Cognac will clear up any misconceptions we may have.

IMG_2532.jpg

Notice the Alden PTB on the left in Ravello and the Daytrippers on the right in Ravello with Carmina (old) Cognac in the middle. Maybe it was the direct light pics two days ago that threw us off. But as you can clearly see there are noticeable differences between old Carmina Cognac and Bourbon. Old Cognac having much deeper red, orange and mid brown under and overtones.

Happy Wednesday!

Goosey

Reaction score
If you're feeling pressure at the top of the foot, that would be instep problems. If the sides are tight, that would seem like a width issue. Rain would allow for more space in the instep, and maybe a little bit more in the width, but with the aggressive taper, you might be trading one problem for another and have pinched toes. Perhaps Rain in EEE would work best for you (EE is standand width for Rain). I'd advise finding a store that carries Carmina's and trying on different lasts.

Thanks. I was really worried that my toes would pinch that's why I went with the Inca in the first place. I think width wise, the Inca is actually very slightly wider than the Rain? Unfortunately, I don't think there is a store that carries Carmina near me.

I am thinking Rain EEE would be a better bet but they are hardly any style choices in that size.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Gentlemen,... !

Indeed, Cognac is darker than Bourbon and Whiskey, and I see it a tad closer to #4 than to Bourbon, or about the same shade as Color4 but with more brown overtones.

Here is a pair of balmorals on Cognac that I am wearing today:

Natural light (light through the window)
20181212_093714.jpg

20181212_093736.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads