1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. trevorplease

trevorplease Senior Member

anyone ever had carmina charge extra for a pattern change? i ordered a wholecut unlined shell slipper during the sale and now they're saying i need to pay $100 extra for a new pattern to accomodate the unlined. i'm trying to figure out what will be different and what needs changing about the pattern.

2. Blastwice

Blastwice Senior Member

Unlined shell is a completely different beast from lined shell, so I'm not surprised they are charging you extra.

Please see this explanation by 6t5g on Reddit in regards to unlined shell footwear: For shell, the most noticeable difference is how cordovan tends to roll more deeply across the toe box and ankle area. Construction wise, unlined footwear means that extra attention needs to be paid to the structuring in the toe and heel area because, if present, the foot can come into direct contact with them whereas in lined products the foot cannot. I've seen cemented liners in unlined cordovan footwear start to peel away from the cordovan, which is bad news for long term usage. You can't really stitch in the structuring because it will change the aesthetics of the pattern and if it can be done it may introduce areas that will rub against the foot (this is mainly a concern in the heel area where you don't want extra stitching where it doesn't need to be). If you don't have that structuring you're going to introduce tons of creasing into the toe and heel areas so you need it. There are some examples of completely unstructured Viberg cordovan boots out there and I don't think toe box fared well. Carmina has made some slight alterations to the patterns to account for reinforcing the structuring in the past for last years run of the armangnac unlined PTB. Basically a new line of stitching was introduced to reinforce the structuring which ended up being kind of cool looking but it was unexpected and might not be your cup of tea.

3. trevorplease

trevorplease Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, basically yeah I have an understanding of what you're talking about. I saw the cognac pictures from guardedgoods and a few others who posted it. I'm wondering if that's what they mean, or if they mean additional cuts/stitching because they can't make it a wholecut. I read a while back they messed up chelseas that way and people were disappointed.

Depending what they say (so far they weren't too clear on what it will be) I may opt to just get a lining.

4. 007Bond

007Bond Distinguished Member

Storm welted Shell Carmina's doing what they do best, keeping my feet dry in a storm while looking good.

IMG_20181116_084044.jpg

5. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Senior Member

Hi All - apologies in advance if this question has been answered before. What sort of US Import duties/Taxes do you typically pay when you order from Carmina? I order a pair of shell boots during the MTO promotion a few weeks back. DHL has charged me around $92 for my $900 order. I'm a little bummed out as I was expecting $0 taxes/duties, given I ordered from Carmina's US website and the company has a store in the US. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

6. 007Bond

I have ordered many shoes and boots and never ever paid a single penny.

7. flylikeneagle

Thank you. I guess I'll be contacting their customer service.

8. 007Bond

Yea not sure unless something recently changed, as I have received just a few weeks back. So seems odd and I agree if you order from the US shop there should be no duty.

9. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

I didn't pay anything for my shell boot a few months ago. Think they came via UPS though. Maybe FedEx.

10. flylikeneagle

UPS delivered my bourbon loafers (non-MTO) a couple of days ago, but these were shipped from NYC store.

11. DapperPhysician

DapperPhysician Active Member

12. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

13. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

Just had my Soller jumpers on while chatting with @Carmina about fit versus their Oscar boots. I thought the grey/green striped socks I happen to have on worked with the Loden suede, so here is a picture to make you all (@jet-stream) Loden with envy! :)
    IMG_4864.JPG

14. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

Isn't the current US customs limit $US800? Therefore a $900 order is likely to trigger that. Trading anecdotes about orders isn't very useful unless you are stating the dollar value thereof. My cordo LWB were bought when there was a 10% discount on, and therefore the order didn't approach the limit

15. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

Wow that’s a lot. Received EG’s through DHL la couple of weeks ago and didn’t get charged anything. Maybe it’s retailer specific?