• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blastwice

Reaction score
@Blastwice

Thanks so much for posting...I was literally about to order and then I saw these "Bourbon" colored shell Cordovan ...now I can't decide which one I want...and I can't tell if the extra $225 for the Bourbon ones are making them more or less desirable :)

They are here: https://tinyurl.com/yd3s3spn

Did these just get posted as I didn't see them yesterday?

Those look like they're from their finished MTO section, which means you can order them, but there's an additional one-off upcharge ($225?). I think that in terms of difference between Bourbon and Natural, Bourbon is a more yellow brown, whereas Natural Shell eventually darkens towards orange/red brown. Natural shell is more likely to have discoloration or marks on it, but Carmina tends to work these into appropriate parts of the shoe so they look great regardless. Both will likely darken slightly as they age.

I'm actually a bit surprised at that bourbon as it's darker than I'd expect for a "bourbon" shell. My personal choice in this instance would be the Natural Shell, both from a price point standard and via aging natural shell turns a pretty nice red that's almost comparable to Color4 in some lights.

I think it really boils down to the way you want it to age. The natural shell will take longer to look aged, but will look fantastic, whereas Bourbon is probably the nicer out of the box color, but won't change as much as the natural shell will over time. YMMV

Cooly

Reaction score
Those look like they're from their finished MTO section, which means you can order them, but there's an additional one-off upcharge ($225?). I think that in terms of difference between Bourbon and Natural, Bourbon is a more yellow brown, whereas Natural Shell eventually darkens towards orange/red brown. Natural shell is more likely to have discoloration or marks on it, but Carmina tends to work these into appropriate parts of the shoe so they look great regardless. Both will likely darken slightly as they age.

I'm actually a bit surprised at that bourbon as it's darker than I'd expect for a "bourbon" shell. My personal choice in this instance would be the Natural Shell, both from a price point standard and via aging natural shell turns a pretty nice red that's almost comparable to Color4 in some lights.

I think it really boils down to the way you want it to age. The natural shell will take longer to look aged, but will look fantastic, whereas Bourbon is probably the nicer out of the box color, but won't change as much as the natural shell will over time. YMMV

I think I totally agree with you..and the natural shell has a certain appeal

eremita

Reaction score
They look great! And indeed, they look femenine. Would like to know how are you planing to wear them.

I wanted to buy matching balmorals with my ex-girlfriend but she said that they look manly.
Thanks very much. Today I wore them with somewhat loose fitting, slightly tapered black slacks that hit just around the top of the boot. I personally think they’d look better with straight leg cuffed slacks and would actually love to pair them with a just below knee length pleated skirt in wool.

650F927E-5628-4744-B6C3-88CF9E6B4FDF.jpeg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What lasts work best for a high instep?

Detroit works good for 531 PTB's and 777 Oxfords, Rain I have had good luck with most all, Oxfords 80339 work on the Robert, Penny Loafer 80440 works on Pina, Derby 80152 works on the Forest, Whole Cut 910 works on rain EEE. I have more than one shoe of some combos and all those fit no issues with my instep.

Hopefully that gives you a good mix to go by.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detroit works good for 531 PTB's and 777 Oxfords, Rain I have had good luck with most all, Oxfords 80339 work on the Robert, Penny Loafer 80440 works on Pina, Derby 80152 works on the Forest, Whole Cut 910 works on rain EEE. I have more than one shoe of some combos and all those fit no issues with my instep.

Hopefully that gives you a good mix to go by.

Thanks, Oscar is all I have experience with. Thinking about a couple MTO's, Detroit and Llubi. May look onto Robert and Rain as well.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Today I wore them with somewhat loose fitting, slightly tapered black slacks that hit just around the top of the boot. I personally think they’d look better with straight leg cuffed slacks and would actually love to pair them with a just below knee length pleated skirt in wool.

View attachment 1071388
Looks awesome! Congrats and enjoy them!

oskrusa

Reaction score
Thanks, Oscar is all I have experience with. Thinking about a couple MTO's, Detroit and Llubi. May look onto Robert and Rain as well.

As you, I also have high in-steps, I sometimes think they are a bit abnormally high.

From personal experience Rain, Simpson, UETNAM and Forest do not work on Oxfords. The v-gap on them is simply too large for my tastes.
On the other hand, Robert and Oscar have been good and I think that Soller, Llubi and Detroit would work as well.

Boots are magnets for me, which gives me more flexibility in terms of lasts I can use except for Balmorals, for those I have always gone with Robert or Oscar.

I hope this info helps with your MTO, and I wish you good luck on the endeavor.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you, I also have high in-steps, I sometimes think they are a bit abnormally high.

From personal experience Rain, Simpson, UETNAM and Forest do not work on Oxfords. The v-gap on them is simply too large for my tastes.
On the other hand, Robert and Oscar have been good and I think that Soller, Llubi and Detroit would work as well.

Boots are magnets for me, which gives me more flexibility in terms of lasts I can use except for Balmorals, for those I have always gone with Robert or Oscar.

I hope this info helps with your MTO, and I wish you good luck on the endeavor.

Thanks, mostly thinking boots for MTO.

unprocessed

Reaction score
We describe our lasts as E narrow fitting, EE standard and EEE extrawide. Therefore the rain last in the standard fit would be an EE unless otherwise stated.

In this case, you should have ordered the standard width for our rain last. If you usually wear standard fitting shoes, there should be no major issues.

Thanks. I'm curious about the new brown demasquable shoes. From the photos it looks like a dark brown with darker patina marks (and darker than your brown calfs). Is this correct?

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm curious about the new brown demasquable shoes. From the photos it looks like a dark brown with darker patina marks (and darker than your brown calfs). Is this correct?

Our demasquable shoes are made with leather from tannerie annonay, as usual. This particular leather has a similar effect to museum, with the only difference the leather starts as a plain colour and by polishing, we create the "watercolour" effect in the areas we prefer.

Goosey

Reaction score
I wear 8EE in AE's 65 last. The 8E in the 65 last just pinches my toes a bit. I normally never wear size 8 shoes. It's usually size 8.5 or size 9 sneakers depending on brand. What size/last should I be looking at?

unprocessed

Reaction score
Our demasquable shoes are made with leather from tannerie annonay, as usual. This particular leather has a similar effect to museum, with the only difference the leather starts as a plain colour and by polishing, we create the "watercolour" effect in the areas we prefer.

Would dark brown polish and wax maintain the watercolor effect or do you recommend neutral creams and polish to keep it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads