1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. zag73

zag73 Senior Member

What’s rusticalf? Lama? As in the animal lama?

2. eremita

eremita Member

They’ve finally arrived! Women’s jumper, Madison last, Alfil sole, horse black calf and burgundy museum calf. I only tried them on for a few minutes but my initial impression is that the toe box area feels pretty tight and they are a bit loose in the heel area, but I’m extremely thankful I went with the 6 and not the 5.5 (which would have been my size per the sizing guide). Unfortunately, somehow they got the initial of my last name wrong. It starts with an “I” but is a very uncommon name and most people think the the “I” must be an “L”, which I think is what happened here. I wonder if Carmina will give me a bit of a price break? I personally think they are still spectacular, much more feminine than I thought they’d look, and very refined. For any Canadians out there, note that I paid no duty (just HST) upon arrival.

91A25E9C-BDB8-4271-B01A-86A66C995DAC.jpeg

DC53A520-96C6-4DE3-818E-3244F8769FAF.jpeg

CDA8905A-3329-4725-950C-C87F4F442082.jpeg

95C91656-0958-4CBF-AEA7-3BE8EC8085E9.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

3. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Those are really awesome, congrats!

4. markythemartian

markythemartian New Member

Here you go. Side profile of commando soles

B7447E94-23C3-402C-9C51-C35BE805A8EE.jpeg

5. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

Very nice, enjoy!

I ordered Carmina's through a store in Sweden last year. They came by DHL and I did not have to pay duty. I think this is correct as it falls under CETA. I wonder if you could make a claim with customs for duty refund. It is concerning as I am looking at another pair of jumpers this fall, and I would expect and budget for HST, but not duty.

6. dave_rawitat

dave_rawitat Active Member

Looking fantastic!!! This gave me some idea for my next MTO!!!

7. likenoother

likenoother Senior Member

Very helpful. Wondering if you can also provide a comparison for ROBERT vs. FOREST? many thanks.

8. CDRiis

CDRiis Well-Known Member

I got mine from the outlet section and they're on Robert. :)

9. Carmina

Carmina Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Wow! absolutely fantastic.. Of course we will create a discount for the value of the initials. Do let us know through email please.

10. Carmina

This would be the outline comparison for Robert and forest. robert forest.JPG

11. Carmina

Rusticalf and lama leathers are actually boxcalf, however, they are tumbled. Meaning they have a subtle pattern and should be much softer and easier to break in.

Brown lama and tanned rusticalf have this look.

IMG_3193.JPG

12. eremita

eremita Member

Pardon me, you are right. I checked and it was HST that was applied, not duty. My partner was the one to receive the package and I just assumed since he said that there was duty on top.

13. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

Very good, then; all is well.

Your boots are quite feminine. The sleek last and Balmoral style, combined with the great choice of details (black pull tab, lace tassels, and bright speedhooks) really work well together. I love that burgundy museum!

14. eremita

eremita Member

Thanks! I agonized over those speed hooks but I always like a bit of flash and think the warm tone works pretty well against the burgundy.

Also big thanks to all the posters here who provided useful guidance - this is my first pair of Carminas and first MTO and I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the available options.

15. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Congrats eremita - they look great! The finished product is subtle but distinct - a winner.