1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

@Tool fan probably nothing that will destroy the shoe, but I would worry about water getting in there which is never a good thing. Contact Carmina and see what they say.

2. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Results of my first ever patina adventure
    IMG_20180705_091748.jpg IMG_20180705_091847.jpg IMG_20180705_091949.jpg IMG_20180705_092056.jpg
    So this was a burgundy calf chukka on simpson last. Since I already have too many burgundy shoes including a color8 shell chukka from Enzo Bonafe, I thought I could use it in my first patina/dye experiment. Basically I am okay with anything as long as it is not too loud.
    I stripped the leather with Saphir Renomat first and then acetone, reno didn’t work at all and acetone was only able to remove part of it. At that point I knew I would get something very dark upon applying a saphir navy dye, it was okay since I don’t particularly fancy a purple look. I then applied multiple layer of Bick4 to condition the leather, it was a solid dark navy-brown-purple all over until I applied Saphir pate-de-luxe neutral wax that I found the excessive wax could actually remove parts of the dye and reveal the burgundy undertone. This was not what I expected but it looked quite similar to the museum effect. Rather than recolouring the burgundy spots, I then followed this reverse-patina process by applying more wax very carefully to create more museum effect.
    The end result is not what I expected but it is what I could wear very happily.

3. oskrusa

oskrusa Senior Member

4. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Dammit - too close to an existing pair. I think their tall derby boots on the Oscar last are some of the nicest out there.

5. 007Bond

007Bond Distinguished Member

Newest Carmina addition.

Only a few pending issues, does the shoe fit, does she like them.

We will see when she gets home, she wanted heels, I went for the rubber sole and suede/glove leather combo. Figured if it's your first what I call real shoe she may not be use to what real leather is like. So my thinking was glove leather and suede should be a good intro to a better shoe then she has, and rubber sole since there are no galoshes for heels. She could get caught in rain easy, and I know she does not want to be hassled with a shoe that she cannot wear when it's wet out or is destroyed while getting to the train in the rain. Trying to get her into better shoes so attempting to make the first impression go well. As for size I made a real guess, measured her foot and I come up with size 7, but all her shoes are either 7.5 or 8, Carmina says -1.5, several of you guys said -2, I hear the woman's shoes are on the narrow side, so I ordered a UK8, the wild card is what is her size 7.5 or 8. Funny thing is we are in NYC but always on a Sunday when the store closed.

IMG_20180705_142815.jpg

6. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Those are cool! Hope they work out for her.

7. 007Bond

Thanks.

I was thinking since us guys don't get to see the ladies shoes much (that we may want to buy for the better half) let me post a few more pics of the heel and sole.

IMG_20180705_153759.jpg IMG_20180705_153743.jpg

8. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

You really get to appreciate the stack of that heel. Thanks for posting this.

9. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Carmina shell made for Meermin???
    Randomly saw this pair and puzzled...
    IMG_20180705_225027.jpg

10. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Fascinating. That's gotta be a few years old; I know that Meermin split off from Carmina a while ago. Perhaps prior to Meermin's foray into shell? Pure speculation there . . .

11. Dandy_dapper

Dandy_dapper Senior Member

Wich model it this?

12. 007Bond

So update.

They fit. That said I think the -2 is the way to go since the last is very narrow. Like I had said when I use a brannock she measures US7 but most of her actual shoes are 7.5 - 8. Carmina suggest -1.5 but due to the narrow last -2 is the better option.

She thinks they look a bit like men's shoes but does like them... 4 inch heel looking like mens shoes that's a new one for me.

Guys lots of ladies shoes in the outlet why not give them a try. They say a couple that polishes together stays together...

13. Fab75

Fab75 Senior Member

BFDD4FF6-63BE-4636-9FD6-0A050401CEC1.jpeg BC75E166-FFCA-4003-B56E-02446D495B62.jpeg 28313E59-DDA5-4E11-A8A9-58DC95AA47E2.jpeg Hi
    Got an issue with my Carmina MTO
    Wrote to the customer service and will see how they react
    Will let you know
    Cheers

14. Misterg12

Misterg12 Distinguished Member

Hi Fab,
    I really don’t see an issue here. It’s just a welt joint and looks a lot better than some I’ve seen. Phenomenal looking shoe.

15. Fab75

Fab75 Senior Member

On the other shoe there is no joint, here you can see it easily and for the price this is something I cannot accept
    Cheers