• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina has been in the market with shell for many years. I think I have a much older version of cognac. Love the boot.

Cool, what year are yours from? My cognac aren’t that old, 2014. But they still look really good.
BCEBC26B-ECB6-46A3-A49B-E7B10D71286F.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, Isaiah (hope I spelled it right) at the NYC store absolutely blew me away. His knowledge, service, and desire to get people in the RIGHT shoe was above and beyond. Mrs. couldn't be happier with her new acquisition--even if she got mad that I violated our "no gifts on the anniversary" agreement. Like I'm gonna let that happen. :hide:

If you're in the city for any reason, you owe it to yourself to stop by and see him. That kid has an extremely bright future ahead of him.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd dip my toes into the world of chukka boots, and picked up a pair of lightly used Carmina black chukkas. These are also my first shoes from Carmina, and I must say they are very nice!

Still trying to figure out what to pair these with, but I guess jeans are a natural start.

Question: Can anyone help me decipher the label on the box? (photo below) I'm not sure if there is a name for this model beyond "708" and would also like to know which last this is made on.

Carmina-Chukka-1.jpg

Carmina-Chukka-2.jpg

Carmina-Chukka-box.jpg

Dark brown chukkas or even cordovan may be next on the horizon!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd dip my toes into the world of chukka boots, and picked up a pair of lightly used Carmina black chukkas. These are also my first shoes from Carmina, and I must say they are very nice!

Still trying to figure out what to pair these with, but I guess jeans are a natural start.

Question: Can anyone help me decipher the label on the box? (photo below) I'm not sure if there is a name for this model beyond "708" and would also like to know which last this is made on.

Filadelfia last (Philadelphia).
Talla (size 9 uk).
Black (negro) calf (veu-vocalou...name from the french tannery).
That is easy for me.
Really nice Oshare.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filadelfia last (Philadelphia).
Talla (size 9 uk).
Black (negro) calf (veu-vocalou...name from the french tannery).
That is easy for me.
Really nice Oshare.

Thank you for the information. My first impression of these boots is very favorable.

I hadn't heard of the Philadelphia last. It is pictured on their website page which describes their lasts but there is no information, and a Google search doesn't really find anything useful.

I have wide feet and these boots are rather snug, but don't seem painfully so. Perhaps next time I'll look for something built on the Rain last which may give a little extra width.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina has been in the market with shell for many years. I think I have a much older version of cognac. Love the boot.

Cool, what year are yours from? My cognac aren’t that old, 2014. But they still look really good.
View attachment 961820

Around 2009 I bought the Cognac and the Rubi at the shop (and their respective belts).

Wore another maker today, but took the opportunity to do a shell color comparison.
From 12 o’clock and going clockwise:
Carmina cognac shell, circa 2014
Carmina cognac shell, 2016-2017 (redder, similar to Horween #4)
AE truffle shell, circa 2014/15 (olive undertones)
Carmina cognac shell, circa 2013

12 o’clock and 9 o’clock are from the same color family, but obviously the 12 o’clock is darker. The differences are starker in full light; the variations are somewhat subtle in flat light. The fun of shell...

6E1095CA-6E75-4217-8C04-A7D0C3018D47.jpeg

Photo notes: taken outdoors in indirect light. Vibrance and contrast boosted as OOC image was a bit flat; this is a pretty good representation of the colors IRL.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore another maker today, but took the opportunity to do a shell color comparison.
From 12 o’clock and going clockwise:
Carmina cognac shell, circa 2014
Carmina cognac shell, 2016-2017 (redder, similar to Horween #4)
AE truffle shell, circa 2014/15 (olive undertones)
Carmina cognac shell, circa 2013

12 o’clock and 9 o’clock are from the same color family, but obviously the 12 o’clock is darker. The differences are starker in full light; the variations are somewhat subtle in flat light. The fun of shell...

View attachment 962119
Photo notes: taken outdoors in indirect light. Vibrance and contrast boosted as OOC image was a bit flat; this is a pretty good representation of the colors IRL.

Wow, that is so awesome thanks for that. Man I love shell!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, Isaiah (hope I spelled it right) at the NYC store absolutely blew me away. His knowledge, service, and desire to get people in the RIGHT shoe was above and beyond. Mrs. couldn't be happier with her new acquisition--even if she got mad that I violated our "no gifts on the anniversary" agreement. Like I'm gonna let that happen. :hide:

If you're in the city for any reason, you owe it to yourself to stop by and see him. That kid has an extremely bright future ahead of him.

How long are u in town??!!

View attachment 961937

View attachment 961938
View attachment 961939

Awesome boots. Great trees, too! Where did you get them?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome boots. Great trees, too! Where did you get them?

Thanks. The boots are apparently a special model for Trading Post, Carmina’s distributor in Japan.

Every once in a while I stop by their boutique in Ginza in Tokyo but to be honest I had always paid more attention to thei C&J selection. Their store markup is substantial, so the Carmina shoes are a bit too high for “dipping toes” on my budget.

But I’d been looking for calf leather chukkas and these popped up on a local Japanese auction site for reasonable cost and I snagged them. I’m impressed by the quality so would definitely consider adding more Carmina shoes to my collection from now.

The trees are just cedar trees I ordered off Amazon. Probably made in China. Nothing special but they do the job. ;)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. My first impression of these boots is very favorable.

I hadn't heard of the Philadelphia last. It is pictured on their website page which describes their lasts but there is no information, and a Google search doesn't really find anything useful.

I have wide feet and these boots are rather snug, but don't seem painfully so. Perhaps next time I'll look for something built on the Rain last which may give a little extra width.

Philadelphia last is a low-instep last similar to Simpson, but with an Almond toe. I have a pair in that last and it's great.

WilYa

Reaction score
To those who are lucky enough, lots of UK7.5 added to outlet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads