1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

Yeah, there’s no denying the Galway is a beautiful and well made boot. But, I guess it’s a free market system, and they’ve convinced a lot of people to pay what they’re asking. And why shouldn’t they pay, it’s their money. But yeah it’s funny, I mean pretty much everyone agrees that hand welt is superior to GYW. But, hey those GYW’s sell like hot cakes at premium prices. But then you know, Prada, Gucci, Yve’s St. Laurent, all do the same thing in the high fashion world, so why not have our version in the shoe guy world.

2. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

tldr and I'm not attracted by this style, which is just a personal preference. after all, I'm attracted by your capability to negotiate fit issuses with a maker and they follow your instructions for adaptions. actually, you voiced this in comments over the board and it works. which is most important, imo. grats

3. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

well, I deny it, but this is not important now/atm. btw, we're not in the EG thread, so we can talk, according to the rules of styfo, great.

let's phrase it like this.

a "g" costs you bentley money for the look and feel of a volkswagen. amazing, isn't it.

a "v", "b" or "m" delivers a bentley for the cost of a phaeton. this is really amazing.

of course, you can agree to disagree.

4. stephenaf2003

Hey man, market forces defy logic. Always have, always will. Marketing is voodoo, and the ones that are good at it win. If it was an exact science to any of this it would be easy to make money, right?
    But, what do I know I’m just a dumb consumer. Clothing/shoes have always been crazy like this hasn’t it? I know growing up, the expensive name brand jeans weren’t better than the Sears jeans, but no one would be caught dead in them in high school.....old habits die hard...full disclosure, I’m just as susceptible as anyone else when it comes to that.

5. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

What are you talking about?....Toughskins all the way!!

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Distinguished Member

@saurabh congrats that’s an amazing make up :bigstar: regarding the conversation above people buy what they like regardless of price because they can simply afford it. People on SF spending 400$ or 2000$ + on shoes, clothing etc. In my book it’s all a luxury item end of a day it comes down to what you like & want & your budget. So saying this is bad or good etc it’s all subjective to ones opinion. Other than that it’s your money & you get what you pay for.

7. stephenaf2003

I hear you TT; and I would never say it’s bad or good, which I alluded to when saying it’s people’s money to spend as they like. It is a marvel to watch though. First world issues as they say..lol

8. nibbling_totoros

nibbling_totoros Active Member

My god.... they are gorgeous

9. saurabh

saurabh Distinguished Member

10. Vinsep

Vinsep Senior Member

Can we please not have the conversation on gyw/hw everywhere please?

Everybody recognizes hw is a better construction method. But construction method alone won’t persuade most people to buy a pair of shoes.

When people are buying stuff, they are buying their satisfaction. No matter it’s quality, brand, look, durability, or whatever.

Let people who have the money to do whatever they want when they are fully informed. Why do people have to constantly remind others that their choices are “inferior”?

There is no god but my god and all you non believers will burn in hell.

Let’s have some tolerance, please.

11. DapperPhysician

DapperPhysician Active Member

For any of those who have Meermin do you guys wear the same size in Carmina? If not how do the sizes differ?

Mainly interested in the Rain, UETAM and Inca lasts.

12. Fab75

Fab75 Senior Member

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

14. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

I have no clue why you think it goes into this direction? anyway ...

15. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

A boring day?. My advise to you is to buy HW Meermin which are great shoes (bentley) for the price of a Seat. I highly recommend them. I am sure if you have the patience or the charm to negociate some adjustments like Saurabh they will be willing to. With your post I doubt now you have paid 50 pairs of bespoke shoes lasted for your feet as you implied in your first post (then you implied most of them were seconds??). First, because no one with that status would let us know in the way you did (showing off??) and second because it seems money is your main concern. Was that a joke or a lie??. People here is very well informed as some other member stated before and you have been here many years to know the all the answers. WTF??.