• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fab75

Reaction score
457DC6E4-16D4-4146-AFA8-E0A7DB7FFC13.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No never, on the above pict it was snow and salt. I used water, Renovateur and Carmina cream.

I really like the example you showed because it has a captoe with pinking. Those areas, next to the cap and pinking, are the hardest to remove the blemishes. You’ve shown that working at it gets them removed.

nibbling_totoros

Reaction score
Wondering if I could get some advice on a future Carmina last to purchase.

I have a suede Soller jumper book in 6.5 UK. However, the cap toe seam on the right boot is just a wee bit tight (red box). I can feel the seam pressing on my right big toe (just annoying pressure, not pinching or painful. The left foot fits perfectly). The boots are still pretty new, but I doubt the seam will stretch in any meaningful way. I'm also wearing dress socks.

2018-01-02 22.57.42.jpg

Apart from that tiny issue, the length and general width feel great. Is there another last that might work a little better for me? I was told that the Rain last was also very wide fitting and might accommodate my 7E US feet a little better. I'd also take any suggestions on breaking in that seam!

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Uetam sizing? I'm a 9.5UK in Rain. Down a half so the loafers are snug or keep the same size?

nibbling_totoros

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Uetam sizing? I'm a 9.5UK in Rain. Down a half so the loafers are snug or keep the same size?

How tight are the Rains on you? I actually have to size up half a size on the Uetam last since is it narrower than the Rain.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How tight are the Rains on you? I actually have to size up half a size on the Uetam last since is it narrower than the Rain.

I probably wouldn't want to go any narrower in the toes than Rain, but could go narrower from the forefoot to the heel. Does the extra length from sizing up cause any heel slip for you?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sponge with water and after some brushing
Or
Saphir Renovateur , deer bone , brush

View attachment 927344

I’m not him, but I do this 15 minute routine. Works on all my shell from various makers,

Wipe down shoe with wet cloth.
Brush vigorously all over for 5 minutes.

Apply renovateur to afflicted areas one at a time and smooth over with deer bone or back of spoon. Use strong pressure.

Allow dry for 5 minutes.
Brush vigorously all over.

I suppose if you wanted to even put the conditioning, you could apply all over afterwards and brush to a uniform shine, but I find not doing so adds a subtle patina.

Fab75

Reaction score
I’m not him, but I do this 15 minute routine. Works on all my shell from various makers,

Apply renovateur to afflicted areas one at a time and smooth over with deer bone or back of spoon. Use strong pressure.

Allow dry for 5 minutes.

I suppose if you wanted to even put the conditioning, you could apply all over afterwards and brush to a uniform shine, but I find not doing so adds a subtle patina.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allow dry for 5 minutes.

My exact process

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak in terms that are relative to rain, but the Uetam was designed from the ground up as a loafer last. It's already got plenty of snugness as a result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics