Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. vmss

vmss Senior member

Double monks vegano tanned brand new left, AE fifth avenue walnut and split toe monks vegano tanned broken in 2 years old starting to create a lighter patina.

IMG_2298.JPG

2. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

So here is the email that I got from Massdrop:

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks to those of you who have reported the sizing issues. We've reached out to Carmina, but they’re a day ahead and generally unresponsive over the weekend. We're trying to schedule a call late Sunday night our time, their Monday morning to discuss this situation ASAP.
    As many of you have suggested, it appears these shoes were labeled in UK sizes instead of US sizes as we specified. This means pending our discussion with Carmina, the solution will likely be that we'll provide prepaid return labels and redistribute the sizes. Due to the combination of widths and lengths, there will likely be a number of orders that can't be fulfilled with the units in this shipment. Because of that, a key part of our discussion with Carmina will be around them producing additional units to fulfill those orders on a condensed production schedule.
    We will be monitoring this discussion, but if you have an issue, please write into our support team by clicking “contact support” via the Carmina transaction on your My Transactions page. The more of you that do that, the more we have to show Carmina when we talk with them. Overall, Carmina has been great to work with (especially related to sizing as a topic) and I’m sure we can work together to find the fastest and most complete solution possible.
    This is a shitty situation, all of you trusted us (Massdrop and Carmina) with your money for months and what’d you get for it? Shoes that are a size too big. This experience is not representative of what you should expect from a Massdrop collaboration and we’ll be working with Carmina to make it right for everyone in this drop.
    Thanks again for your quick reporting in this discussion and please write in to support (via your transactions page) so we can verify the extent of the issue in time for our discussion with Carmina. We will send out a follow up email with more information early next week.
    End:

As you can see the blame game is being played... sounds like Massdrop is trying to blame Carmina. I believe that no matter what it is the fault of Massdrop. We all know that Carmina shoes are sized and sold in UK sizes so why why in the world did Massdrop decide to have us order in US sizes??? Anyone who has ever run anything where things get converted knows the great chance for human error in someone not doing the proper conversion. Also I hear on the Massdrop discussions that this same error was done by Massdrop on the Carlos Santos drop so seems the common denominator is Massdrop here for the blame.

Where I ask where was Massdrop Quality control??? I mean Massdrop made us wait almost 3 weeks for them to QC and pack and ship so no one noticed the error, seriously it was right on the bottom of every shoe and on every box!!! Anyone that works in QC should have at the very least a basic understanding of the product they are going to QC. That would mean that we had our customers order in US sizes so make sure that you are shipping the correct size shoe since Carmina shoes are sold in UK sizes. Would that not have been the very first thing a QC person would check, correct size???

The lesson learned here is just avoid Massdrop and buy direct from Carmina. You are really not saving anything to be honest, you have to pay upfront and then wait 6 months for delivery and then still not get your shoes. Really there is no reason to use Massdrop it is just not worth the aggravation.

3. Vinsep

Vinsep Active Member

No doubt they are at fault. I don’t know the corporate structure of Massdrop. But things like this is hard to eliminate for a sizable company. I hope they will learn the lesson and enhance their QC in the future. It’s cheaper that way.

4. vestbash

vestbash Senior member

I did not participate in this drop. To me the most likely outcome was that no QC check was performed, or at least the manner in which it was performed did not require a verification of specific sizes, just the specific quantities, because as you noted, each box is clearly labeled with the UK. No matter how you look at the situation this is a gross oversight by Massdrop.

5. marker2037

marker2037 Senior member

I find the tanned vegano to be a very close match to AE walnut, depending on how much burnishing the AE walnut has. For example, my Fifth Aves (like vmss) are in walnut, but are overly burnished making them darker. But my walnut belt I ordered to go with the shoes is lighter and matches my Carmina tan vegano split toes perfectly.

6. TokenMao

TokenMao Senior member

Regardless of what the current situation is, there's an appropriate outlet to vent (the Massdrop x Carmina thread, the Massdrop page itself, etc.). Making a bunch of posts in the official Carmina thread about this doesn't really achieve anything because Massdrop and Carmina are already going to have a call about this.

7. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

I did not even know there was a specific thread for Massdrop and Carmina.

8. mirinjobra

mirinjobra Well-Known Member

Anyone have an example of a boot with double edge sole & dainite as compared to single sole & dainite?

I'm trying to make an MTO for a balmoral boot on the robert last. For casual wear mostly.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Check out the Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill. It's a double Dainite sole - not sure if that would be the same or whether your option would be a fill leather midsole before the Dainite.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not a tall boot, but my chukka from a few posts back has double Dainite:

IMG_1582.JPG

11. mirinjobra

mirinjobra Well-Known Member

I'm still confused - I took some pics I have of my boots. Can you tell me which is double dainite? The boots are actually the same in heel sole thickness because the boot on the right's heel is off the platform. It almost looks like the boot on the right has a storm welt, but I think it's the one with a leather sole + midsole + dainite, which is called double sole dainite. The one on the left seems to just have a thin leather sole + dainite.

In either case, I would probably want to make the balmoral like the boot on the right without the storm welt for elegance.

IMG_7217.jpg

Here's some pics of some suede boots - they look to be double sole with dainite as well.

IMG_7216.jpg

12. hmlarsson

hmlarsson Senior member

Pics of a Carmina boot with single Dainite sole:
    https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...dvice-sizing-etc.241469/page-402#post-6638038
    989003.jpg

Pic of Carmina double dainite (got this boot myself, pic from SkoAB)
    Carmina-80429-Forest-Green-Llubi-Last-3_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM

13. NycLondon

NycLondon Senior member

I visited your new shop today. My shopping experience was fantastic. I met all the family on their last day in the shop. It was a special experience. I want to thank you for buffing up my Ludwig Reiter shoes, they needed some professional help! I got a pair of cordovan shoes. I had been wanting these since I tried them in Madrid last year.

carmina-cordovan.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017 at 4:01 AM

14. Butterfeet

Butterfeet Well-Known Member

Seems like all pictures with double dainite soles are with storm welts too. I just placed an order for a soller-lasted longwing derby on chestnut grain. I specified single dainite sole but I'm thinking of changing it to double dainite (but without storm welt). I wonder if Carmina can still make changes after I placed an MTO order...