• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous! How do you tend to style these? If you have pics of them with different outfits I'd love to see them. If you don't want to post here feel free to PM me. How do you think they'd look with trim jeans, chinos with no more than a 15.5" leg opening, or similarly trim dress trousers? I'm also thinking a double sole and Dainite to make them suitable for rough weather.

I wear a suit 5 days a week, and these are part of my rotation. They frankly look great with anything (except shorts). They are not Carmina, and have a single leather sole with a beveled waist. However, I think a chiseled toe is as versitle as a round one.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a lovely chukka. I have a killer chiseled chukka from Enzo Bonafe (946 last). I love dressy chukkas. Something like this with a single sole and flat welt I would pair with wool trousers and a sport coat.

It's my opinion though that a thick double sole and reverse welt look more coherent on rounder lasts. This also looks more congruous when paired with cords, chinos, jeans, etc and chunkier wools.

OP did say "business casual," but I guess everyone has different definitions of what that means.

Just my opinion! Do you. :cheers:

If I remember correctly, you have the Vass double monk chukka correct? If so, you are the reason I starting liking chukkas.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you have the Vass double monk chukka correct? If so, you are the reason I starting liking chukkas.

Haha! Yes, that's me. So glad I was able to weasel another chukka fan. @RogerP waa the gent who inspired me. And so the cycle continues.

I've got 7 chukkas from various makers. Maybe I'll do a family pic tomorrow. Seems like a reasonable use of time. ;)

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 831384

I respectfully dissent.

Well played sir.

Don't get me wrong - I like the look, I just find that it doesn't work as well for how I wear chukkas, and I agree with pep that the soft chisel isn't as good a match for the intended makeup.

Yours look fantastic - I don't prefer chukkas with suits but you have me questioning my stance ...

Jdog12345

Reaction score
Is anyone able to offer me insight into the differences between the Alcudia last and the Simpson last? I have a low instep that when I sized up half a size in Simpson the area between the vamp and my toes was far too great. Just had a comedic chat with one of Carmina's online reps who said she couldn't offer me any information because she doesn't wear men's shoes... Quite ridiculous really!

sdfzs

Reaction score
Gorgeous! How do you tend to style these? If you have pics of them with different outfits I'd love to see them. If you don't want to post here feel free to PM me. How do you think they'd look with trim jeans, chinos with no more than a 15.5" leg opening, or similarly trim dress trousers? I'm also thinking a double sole and Dainite to make them suitable for rough weather.

First of all, you do not really need to go double Dainite and storm welt to get weather durability. Rubber against the ground comes in multiple shapes but all do the trick in a similar manner. I would also argue that the differences in Carmina (not speaking about other makers now) between a flat and a storm welt in terms of weather endurance is small if any. If you get the boot soaked above the welt it's going to be soaked. Single or double dainite and york in my view holds against weather equally good.

That being said i would suggest the starting point being to zoom in on what look you want to target. Personally i think chukkas looks stunning on Rain assuming that it's on a markup with a flat welt and single dainite. Other more chiseled lasts are excellent also (look for example on the popular Enzo Bonafé chukka often done on 74945 with Tärnsjö grain leather with a flat welt). I'm in also on chukkas on more rounder lasts such as Detroit but then i feel like a storm welt is in order and double dainite could be appropriate. My favorite chukkas are on the Soller last with a flat welt striking IMO a perfect balance of a somewhat rounder generous last but not as voluminous as detroit and similar. So if you are zoomed in and decided on any particular detailed such as the welt style start of from that angle and see what it goes good with. It's all about the balance

sdfzs

Reaction score
Some pictures to illustrate my earlier post (all images courtesy of Skoaktiebolaget and might not be on Carmina's)

Boot style (Not a chukka obviously so use a bit of imagination) where a somewhat more chiseled last and flat welts provides a good balance. Would a similar to Rain IMO from Carmina. Doing a chukka on such last with a flat welt on calf would give something that could easily be dressed up and down.
Jodphur-Braga_Violet_Norte-lowres_1024x1024.jpg

Chukka om Bonafé's 74945 that is perhaps is not as chiseled as Carmina's Rain last but definetly not as chunky as Detroit or similar last.
Enzo-Bonafe-3403-mod-Tarnsjo-Oak-74945-Last-NEW-1_5fad6627-afbe-47c4-b21f-1e8322fe9f87_1024x1024.jpg

Now this is a Enzo Bonafé (homage to Alden?) but IMO a last similar to Carmina Detroit where this causal example gives a nice example of last and storm welt. IMO this is getting very casual but pairs nicely with denim.
Enzo-Bonafe-3346-Janus-Snuff-173-Last-NEW-1_1024x1024.jpg

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone able to offer me insight into the differences between the Alcudia last and the Simpson last? I have a low instep that when I sized up half a size in Simpson the area between the vamp and my toes was far too great. Just had a comedic chat with one of Carmina's online reps who said she couldn't offer me any information because she doesn't wear men's shoes... Quite ridiculous really!

I find the fit to be near identical, with the principle difference being Carmina's chisel toe to Alcudia's almond toe.

Jdog12345

Reaction score
I find the fit to be near identical, with the principle difference being Carmina's chisel toe to Alcudia's almond toe.

Thanks mate, so it is recommended to size up half a size up with the Alcudia as well? width, narrowness and instep are all relatively similar you reckon?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks mate, so it is recommended to size up half a size up with the Alcudia as well? width, narrowness and instep are all relatively similar you reckon?

Concur with USC - Alcudia and Simpson fit me identically; I've also been told by a Carmina manager that they are the same except for the toe shape. This matches my experience perfectly; I'd suggest sizing as if it were a Simpson.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gang, I ordered a pair of polo suede NSTs form Carmina outlet and also ordered a matching Polo suede belt. Dummy me didn't follow the sizing guide and ordered 2 sizes to small. If any of you fellas are a 32 and in need of a beautiful polo suede belt please PM me. I've already ordered another and don't see my self losing 20 pounds. It is the 90cm size.
IMG_2314.JPG

turk malloy

Reaction score
Hey guys, could use your help with sizing. I'm a pretty standard US 10D. The EG 82 last is very comfortable for me. I have a bit of extra length in the toe, but the rest of the shoe is a lock down fit. I tried the 9/9.5 in the 82 last and it was too tight and also weirdly had heel slippage.

However, the bridge of my foot (where the toes meet the foot) gets put under a lot of pressure if I try to wear a size 10D in AEs, but the EG 82 is plenty roomy. I have 3 pairs of Alden boots in a Barrie 10 which all fit great, but are probably a half size big (I wear them with thick socks, primarily in winter).

I'm considering these 3 carminas (Need black oxfords for a wedding), any thoughts on sizing / last?

Adelaide in Rain
https://thearmoury.com/products/carmina-rain-80512-calf-adelaide?variant=37965294607

Quarter Brogued in Simpson
https://thearmoury.com/products/carmina-simpson-80105-calf-brogued-captoe-oxford?variant=38242297935

Toe cap in Robert
https://thearmoury.com/products/carmina-robert-762-calf-punched-captoe-oxford?variant=37967507343

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics