Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

I wear a suit 5 days a week, and these are part of my rotation. They frankly look great with anything (except shorts). They are not Carmina, and have a single leather sole with a beveled waist. However, I think a chiseled toe is as versitle as a round one.

2. beargonefishing

If I remember correctly, you have the Vass double monk chukka correct? If so, you are the reason I starting liking chukkas.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Haha! Yes, that's me. So glad I was able to weasel another chukka fan. @RogerP waa the gent who inspired me. And so the cycle continues.

I've got 7 chukkas from various makers. Maybe I'll do a family pic tomorrow. Seems like a reasonable use of time. ;)

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Well played sir.

Don't get me wrong - I like the look, I just find that it doesn't work as well for how I wear chukkas, and I agree with pep that the soft chisel isn't as good a match for the intended makeup.

Yours look fantastic - I don't prefer chukkas with suits but you have me questioning my stance ...

5. Jdog12345

Jdog12345 Member

Is anyone able to offer me insight into the differences between the Alcudia last and the Simpson last? I have a low instep that when I sized up half a size in Simpson the area between the vamp and my toes was far too great. Just had a comedic chat with one of Carmina's online reps who said she couldn't offer me any information because she doesn't wear men's shoes... Quite ridiculous really!

6. sdfzs

sdfzs Senior member

First of all, you do not really need to go double Dainite and storm welt to get weather durability. Rubber against the ground comes in multiple shapes but all do the trick in a similar manner. I would also argue that the differences in Carmina (not speaking about other makers now) between a flat and a storm welt in terms of weather endurance is small if any. If you get the boot soaked above the welt it's going to be soaked. Single or double dainite and york in my view holds against weather equally good.

That being said i would suggest the starting point being to zoom in on what look you want to target. Personally i think chukkas looks stunning on Rain assuming that it's on a markup with a flat welt and single dainite. Other more chiseled lasts are excellent also (look for example on the popular Enzo Bonafé chukka often done on 74945 with Tärnsjö grain leather with a flat welt). I'm in also on chukkas on more rounder lasts such as Detroit but then i feel like a storm welt is in order and double dainite could be appropriate. My favorite chukkas are on the Soller last with a flat welt striking IMO a perfect balance of a somewhat rounder generous last but not as voluminous as detroit and similar. So if you are zoomed in and decided on any particular detailed such as the welt style start of from that angle and see what it goes good with. It's all about the balance

7. sdfzs

sdfzs Senior member

Some pictures to illustrate my earlier post (all images courtesy of Skoaktiebolaget and might not be on Carmina's)

Boot style (Not a chukka obviously so use a bit of imagination) where a somewhat more chiseled last and flat welts provides a good balance. Would a similar to Rain IMO from Carmina. Doing a chukka on such last with a flat welt on calf would give something that could easily be dressed up and down.
    [​IMG]
    Chukka om Bonafé's 74945 that is perhaps is not as chiseled as Carmina's Rain last but definetly not as chunky as Detroit or similar last.
    [​IMG]
    Now this is a Enzo Bonafé (homage to Alden?) but IMO a last similar to Carmina Detroit where this causal example gives a nice example of last and storm welt. IMO this is getting very casual but pairs nicely with denim.
    [​IMG]

8. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I find the fit to be near identical, with the principle difference being Carmina's chisel toe to Alcudia's almond toe.

9. Jdog12345

Jdog12345 Member

Thanks mate, so it is recommended to size up half a size up with the Alcudia as well? width, narrowness and instep are all relatively similar you reckon?

10. beargonefishing

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Unlined Aramanac shell PTBs on the detroit last. Get the wears in before it gets cold:
    [​IMG]

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Concur with USC - Alcudia and Simpson fit me identically; I've also been told by a Carmina manager that they are the same except for the toe shape. This matches my experience perfectly; I'd suggest sizing as if it were a Simpson.

13. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Damn those are nice. I've never been tempted by a PTB before, but dayum.