1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

WD40?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

Is it normal for the eyelets of a shoe to be splayed open so prominently when there isn't a foot inside it? Like a seasoned hooker down at the Dam.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

lol. trees are too big for the vamp

5. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

What last are the Shoemart boots on? Hopefully Forest....

6. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Does this happen with all of them or just the cordovan shoes?

Where is the squeaking coming from?

7. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Looking good!

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I do find the Saphir cordovan cream to be excellent!

9. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

As do I. My Carmina shell shoes seemed to never be able to hold a shine. Until I started using the Saphir Cordovan Cream. I use neutral, do you use the colors?

10. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Well-Known Member

As orthodoxy goes, Neutral is a n no. Mac method, Nick Horween, Alden , Alden Carmel etc... Too much buildup of a neutral over the impregnable hide will never allow the patina to develop. A minority disagree, but a polish every 15 wears or so should be of a colored wax ( some say cream). Just sayin, 20 yrs of wearing a dozen pair and never used neutral. Bring it on, I won't argue

11. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

Not arguing, but inquiring: What to do when Saphir doesn't have an appropriate color of wax? I have one (soon to be two) pairs of Ruby shell shoes, and unsurprisingly haven't found a corresponding Saphir cream.

12. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I'm currently quite happy with the Saphir Cordovan Cream in Neutral. It's basically all conditioner, little to no wax, so no whitish buildup. I'm using it on my Green, Cognac and 'Brown' shell shoes to good effect.

If we were talking nuetral polish I would agree completely with the dissenter above.

13. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

^ All right, I don't know what the differences in cream and polish are, so I'm going to peruse the Shoe Care thread before badgering you lads with already-answered questions.

But I'll keep that comment about the neutral in mind, Gdot. Thanks.

14. bespoken4me

I use Saphir Renovatuer only, but if the cream works for you, then no argument. There is only one inarguable point, and that is that wax or cream should only be used sparingly- as in every 15 or so polishings. There are too many oils and tallow that leech outward, and virtually nothing gets into the leather. Rarely do shells of even 30 yrs of age have drying issues. Horween feeds oils into the leather already naturally filled with foaling wax so much so during the lengthy dying and immersion, that water and hard brushing are the every week method. Saphir, to me is the best product, but others use Lexol. I simply think that any added product is a shield that doesn't allow the shell to leech, as it and bridle do. Water, Brush, and the occasional "whatever you want".
    To illustrate conflict betwen the two largest end users of Horween- Alden is doctrinally against creams. AE specifically calls for cream, or creme. It has everything to do with the ingrediants. Simply stay away fro any petroleum distillates, and you won't dry it.

15. bespoken4me

I use Saphir Renovatuer only, but if the cream works for you, then no argument. There is only one inarguable point, and that is that wax or cream should only be used sparingly- as in every 15 or so polishings. There are too many oils and tallow that leech outward, and virtually nothing gets into the leather. Rarely do shells of even 30 yrs of age have drying issues. Horween feeds oils into the leather already naturally filled with foaling wax so much so during the lengthy dying and immersion, that water and hard brushing are the every week method. Saphir, to me is the best product, but others use Lexol. I simply think that any added product is a shield that doesn't allow the shell to leech, as it and bridle do. Water, Brush, and the occasional "whatever you want".
    To illustrate conflict betwen the two largest end users of Horween- Alden is doctrinally against creams. AE specifically calls for cream, or creme. It has everything to do with the ingrediants. Simply stay away fro any petroleum distillates, and you won't dry it.

16. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I had a bad reaction with Renovateur on Alden whiskey shell. Some sort of reaction that left tiny little black spots all over the shoe that I have not been able to remove. No negative reactions from the Saphir Cordovan Cream.

In any case - little to no wax for sure.

It is also worth noting that Alden shell shoes arrive with a finish that is unlike the shell I've seen from any other maker - it's much slicker and less porous than the shell I've seen from C&J and Carmina.

17. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

have you ever used the saphir leather lotion on any shell mr. G ?

18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

No - but I do use it on my calf shoes. I started using it after I ran out of Reno. It seems to moisturize well. It takes up less 'color' from the shoes. So I presume it has less solvent in it and does not remove as much existing wax?

19. bespoken4me

Please excuse any typos, as it was a tipsy p.m of sad football. Yes, Alden has the corner on Shell, always has and notwithstanding the recent Euro infatuation with it, has a finishing grade above all other makers- always. Color 8 is the most elusive of colors in light and only Alden gets the product in a finish that makes it so- Eggplant? Whatever purples and browns that come through, are never found on other makers.
    Further, Alden's Ravello and Cigar- good luck with any other maker than MTO Vass, Lattanzi and EG. C&J, a simple brown walnut. Alden has the "corner"- if only they had the lasts

20. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I've found to be the case. Simpson = +1/2 to normal UK size as it's the narrowest last offered by Carmina. I'm a size 9UK in all other Carmina lasts and I wear 9.5UK in all Simpon-lasted models.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012