• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
Dear Carmina lovers,

I got my first pair of Carminas, a pair of suede tassel loafers on the uetam last.
The thing is I'm not sure if I got the right size. I wear a 8.5 UK and the fit is snug but maybe too snug in the width as you can see my pinky toe poking out the soft leather a bit(especially on the right foot). Is this a bad fit or will it stretch out naturally after wearing?

I find it very hard to find good fitting loafers (I've tried Meermin, Loake 1880 and Crockett & Jones). If I size up to 9 the length will be too long and I will have massive heel slipage. The length is just right now I think with very minor heel slipage.

What grieves me the most is when I tried on the shoes in the shop I did not notice my pinky toe pushing out, and the salesman said they seemed to fit well (maybe he just wanted a sale and lied, who knows). And now the sole is too worn for the shoes to be returned.

Should I keep the shoes and keep wearing them to break them in more (I've worn them for maybe 10 hours in total in different sessions). Or should I have a cobbler stretch the width out a bit? Or should I sell them?

Here are some pictures:
tas1.jpg
tas2.jpg
tas3.jpg

Meyboom

Reaction score
Fit doesn't seem bad honestly. Are they uncomfortable when wearing them for several hours? Suede shoes tend to stretch quite a bit so I think the problem will solve itself.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
If your pinky toe is doing that and it's not painful I wouldn't stretch them. That would just make them looser and wouldn't really hide the bulge.

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
Fit doesn't seem bad honestly. Are they uncomfortable when wearing them for several hours? Suede shoes tend to stretch quite a bit so I think the problem will solve itself.
I can wear them with no issues for maybe 3-4 hours (with little walking). When wearing them for longer I get a small discomfort. I guess they are still in the "break in" period.

If your pinky toe is doing that and it's not painful I wouldn't stretch them. That would just make them looser and wouldn't really hide the bulge.
Alright.

I will keep wearing them and hope they will get comfortable for long sessions also. I guess I will have to live with the pinky bulge. Is this a common problem?

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
TwillPoplin, that is good sign - if you can wear and walk alot for 3-4 hours without discomfort. If i walk in my dress shoes for that amount of time my pinky toe is bruised.

Meyboom

Reaction score
The Uetam last is one of carminas narrower lasts so it's not uncommon. Truth be told loafers are the most difficult shoes to get the right fit because there is no lacing to tighten or loosen the fit.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I have widely spaced toes so I tend to have similar results with unstructured shoes.

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
TwillPoplin, that is good sign - if you can wear and walk alot for 3-4 hours without discomfort. If i walk in my dress shoes for that amount of time my pinky toe is bruised.
That is wear around the house/office with minor walking. If I were to walk around heavily they would indeed bruise and bleed me aswell (I did this mistake by talking a 3 km walk straight out of the box)

The Uetam last is one of carminas narrower lasts so it's not uncommon. Truth be told loafers are the most difficult shoes to get the right fit because there is no lacing to tighten or loosen the fit.
That makes sense.

I have widely spaced toes so I tend to have similar results with unstructured shoes.
Good to hear I am not alone with this problem :)

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patience A ... patience, you'll soon see what they work with :)

I will pick them up today!

Dear Carmina lovers,

I got my first pair of Carminas, a pair of suede tassel loafers on the uetam last.
The thing is I'm not sure if I got the right size. I wear a 8.5 UK and the fit is snug but maybe too snug in the width as you can see my pinky toe poking out the soft leather a bit(especially on the right foot). Is this a bad fit or will it stretch out naturally after wearing?

I find it very hard to find good fitting loafers (I've tried Meermin, Loake 1880 and Crockett & Jones). If I size up to 9 the length will be too long and I will have massive heel slipage. The length is just right now I think with very minor heel slipage.

What grieves me the most is when I tried on the shoes in the shop I did not notice my pinky toe pushing out, and the salesman said they seemed to fit well (maybe he just wanted a sale and lied, who knows). And now the sole is too worn for the shoes to be returned.

Should I keep the shoes and keep wearing them to break them in more (I've worn them for maybe 10 hours in total in different sessions). Or should I have a cobbler stretch the width out a bit? Or should I sell them?

Here are some pictures:

If they doesn't bother you, keep them. As some already say, suede will stretch.

This. Although, they fit me perfectly. I have Uetam in EE and E and they fit me really nice, better than Rain. I do have a ver low foot volume.

insy

Reaction score
Could you guys give me your opinion on those creases? Is it a sign of bad fit or could it be considered normal? Those Oxfords are on the new Buger last.

The reason I am asking is because my Norwegian Suede pair on the Forest last doesn't seem to show any creasing at all.

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have exactly the same type of creasing in my pair of Buger adelaides, but mines are in calf.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could you guys give me your opinion on those creases? Is it a sign of bad fit or could it be considered normal? Those Oxfords are on the new Buger last.

The reason I am asking is because my Norwegian Suede pair on the Forest last doesn't seem to show any creasing at all.

I have a similar crease in my suede loafers. After brushing them, it goes back to normal.

tumblr_oq5sydYiVS1spqdezo1_1280.jpg

After brushing

tumblr_oqhlk2QU6q1spqdezo1_500.jpg

insy

Reaction score
I have exactly the same type of creasing in my pair of Buger adelaides, but mines are in calf.

Could you post a picture of it? I just ordered a pair of Brown Museum Oxfords on the Buger last but am not sure whether I will like such creasing.

I don't even know why they are creasing at all, given that they fit fairly tight overall.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a wholecuts Enzo Bonafe. The instep is a bit too high and because of the excess leather left it causes deep creases. I have learned that Shoes especially whole cutshave to fit like a sock other wise if too voluminous it will cause deep creases and leather folding while bending.
The last picture is my Simpson last ,which fits overall like a sock no deep creases or leather folding both uk8. I had a rain wholecuts last in size 8UK, where it caused even worst creases had to sell them.
It seems your shoes has too much excess leather on the side which causes those folding. I have the same problem with my EB.

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads