• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have wore my Simpson suede double monk for a while, and probably the only pair could grip my slender heel well. Found somehow the instep either too tight on third strap hole, or couldn't grip my heel well with second hole. Also not quite enough toe box space for pinky toe.

Now, if I wish to get a uetam loafer for summer, what size shall I start with? Tried 7 and the heel cup couldn't grip well and my low ankle bone already hit the edges

I would recommend you to stay with 6,5UK, with even more reason if you are going for a loafer.

May I ask you how the fit on your Cleverleys is compared to Carmina Simpson?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you to stay with 6,5UK, with even more reason if you are going for a loafer.

Thanks, consider the Reddit gmto actually.

Cleverley's heel cup grips well too, since I have slightly pronated &a flat feet, pressures exerted on pinky toes and they spray. There's protruding bone at ball and it hurts after wearing for whole day.

For Simpson as it's suede, it's more forgiving while I feel not enough room to move toes, or slightly curled. Even though it's long,

Simpson: long but narrow toe box - it's just long while not enough space for toes to extend & move freely. Instep good for me but bit restraining on left foot, as my instep got protruding bones and veins again. Heel grips well.

Cleverley: Wider toe box tip areas, similar instep (Semi-brouge), widest part didn't fit my ball. Heel grips well.

All my problem originates from bony instep and protruding ball bones.

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon @insy , firstly excuse that Betty did not reply, she never got your email. It is truly strange that the lining is making these squeaky noises. Please provide us with your order number and we will have your shoes shipped to our premises for inspection. For future reference, send us an email to [email protected].

Thank you for your answer @Leaves . However, we are sorry to contradict you but the problem does not reside in the coloured lining. In fact, the "natural" coloured lining has been dyed too. It is explained by an excess of dryness during the tanning process.
Carmina makes some sense here. The "natural colored" lining that most makers use are chrome tanned unless they are using vegetable tanned lining then there would be definitely be some advantages other than that all are just colored with dyed. I have some shoes with "natural " colored lining and all are chrome tanned dyed with pastel beige color.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, consider the Reddit gmto actually.

Cleverley'a heel cup grips well too, since I have slightly probated feet, pressures exerted on pinky toes to spray. There's protruding bone at ball and it hurts after wearing for whole day.

For Simpson as it's suede, it's more forgiving while I feel not enough room to move toes, or slightly curled. Even though it's long,

Simpson: long but narrow toe box - it's just long while not enough space for toes to extend freely. Instep good for me but bit restraining on left foot, as my instep got protruding bones and veins again. Heel grips well.

Cleverley: Wider toe box tip areas, similar instep (Semi-brouge), widest part didn't fit my ball. Heel grips well.

All my problem originates from bony instep and protruding ball bones.

Thank you very much. I suppose we are talking about the same size, aren't we?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried Uetam 6.5 and it works but I could still easily slip out my more slender right heel... so I bought other stuff at The Armoury.

Thank you!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howdy all ... many of you may know this, but looks like Carmina will be having a Memorial Day sale, 15% off orders placed through 29 May. Code is 15OFF-CARMINA and includes custom shoes.

Happy hunting!

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm 15% makes the semi-brogue Inca light brown enticing. I'm a 8 UK in Rain, length okay though a little short and heel a bit loose. Should I go with 8 UK in Inca or 8.5 UK?

bm93

Reaction score
Hmmmm 15% makes the semi-brogue Inca light brown enticing. I'm a 8 UK in Rain, length okay though a little short and heel a bit loose. Should I go with 8 UK in Inca or 8.5 UK?

Most people go same size Inca to Rain - length and width wise they are similar. The most distinct differences I would say are in the instep and heel - Inca is noticeably tighter in both the heel and instep compared to Rain.

BTW, if you're interested, I have a very lightly worn pair of the tan Inca semi-brogues in size UK8 for sale: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/carmina-tan-semi-brogue-oxfords-uk8-inca-last.74/

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the same ones but burgundy.

How would the soller or uetam translate to an Inca?

Meyboom

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Uetam last. Soller is a little roomier in the forefoot and instep than Inca in my experience, but I take both in the same size.

BTW I have a pair of NIB burgundy semi-brogues in size 7.5UK on the Inca last, see my signature.

Cityplace

Reaction score
Can anyone walk me through the different grain-type leathers:

1) Rusticalf vs
2) Regular Grain vs.
3) Essex Grain vs.
4) Karangrein vs
5) Snuff Suede Super Buck (what is this??)

Which one would be best for handling salt/snow/rain ?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking at the same ones but burgundy.

How would the soller or uetam translate to an Inca?

This is a tricky one. I have Uetam in E and EE and Inca (EE) but I don't own a Soller lasted shoe. I have a low volume foot so the Uetam in E is 9 UK and in suede so we will take it out of the question. I have a Uetam full strap penny loafer in 9.5 UK in EE, it fits me perfect. You do have to take account for the very low instep in Uetam. If you ask me, I take the same size in Uetam (EE) and Inca, eventhoug Uetam will be shorter than the Inca. I think in Inca you have more space in the toes than in Uetam but my guess will be around 2 or 3 mm.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone walk me through the different grain-type leathers:

1) Rusticalf vs
2) Regular Grain vs.
3) Essex Grain vs.
4) Karangrein vs
5) Snuff Suede Super Buck (what is this??)

Which one would be best for handling salt/snow/rain ?
I did an MTO last year with Essex grain which is their hatch grain leather ( from Horween). Here is a pic of the same, IMO it looks good but has some issues with holding the finishing and needs more maintenance.
DSC_0514.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads