• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I had no option choosing the lining unfortunately. It's not customized but just from their MTO section. They are offering three styles on the Buger last in their RTW Section as well now. All of them have the same lining as I do. Any idea what I can do to fix it?

I believe you could take it to a skilled cobbler and they can replace the heel lining. It won't be ideal, but it will probably remedy the squeaking.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, are those scratches acceptable or would you consider complaining to Carmina about it?

I am unsure myself given it's in an area which won't be seen usually. However, I just don't understand why Carmina ships their shoes not in the shoe bags to avoid such transport damage.

View attachment 784606

View attachment 784607
That's normal. All my suede loafers has them. I believe it comes due to the lasting process. It goes away with suede brush.

We have spoken to one of the craftsmen in charge of finishing the shoes and these markings are indeed made by the shoes rubbing against the box. We have decided to make some arrangements to avoid this issue in all our future suede boxing.

In order to solve your problem, you would just have to use a small amount of alcohol with a clean cotton cloth, clean the suede carefully and then use a suede brush. We have tried with a pair shoes in our factory and I did make a great difference.

Thank you for your excellent feedback, it will certainly help us improve.

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it might be the colored lining. Always go natural is my advice, and most makers will give you this advice as well. Colored lining is a bit like colored shirt cuffs on a shirt = quite unnecessary. :hide:

This is no doubt sage advice, but I must admit that I really like the signature purple lining. Not sure if I'd accept constant squeaking to have it, and it's perhaps a silly thing to enjoy, but i like it nonetheless!

insy

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the lining is squeaking so much in this pair? I wore them once (it's the MTO Oxford on the Buger last btw, will try to post my thoughts later on, the fit is amazing!). You can hear that noise while walking all the time and they fit quite snug, there is no heel slippage at all.

@Carmina could you please respond to that issue as well? I have emailed Betty about it but got no response yet.

beowolf

Reaction score
I just ordered my first pair in Cordovan Cognac

cognac_cordovan_shoes_80250_sadl-1.jpg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my first pair in Cordovan Cognac

View attachment 786225

You must be a 12UK!

Congrats - that is perhaps my new favorite shell color. I ordered the same model and color a few months ago, an interesting experience ... inconsistent finishing but good customer service support. At the end of the day the finishing isn't quite what I know Carmina can do but I kept them. Hope yours come through perfect, or close enough to be satisfactory. They are beautiful shoes!

beowolf

Reaction score
You must be a 12UK!

Congrats - that is perhaps my new favorite shell color. I ordered the same model and color a few months ago, an interesting experience ... inconsistent finishing but good customer service support. At the end of the day the finishing isn't quite what I know Carmina can do but I kept them. Hope yours come through perfect, or close enough to be satisfactory. They are beautiful shoes!

Ah yes I am. I went back and forth when I saw them in the outlet and said why not!
Do you have a picture of yours to share?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah yes I am. I went back and forth when I saw them in the outlet and said why not!
Do you have a picture of yours to share?

Certainly. Note that these photos were taken when originally delivered; I wasn't particularly happy with the finishing/coloration (there was a stark line between light and dark on the strap of both shoes; though there were some minor leather issues the coloring is what bothered me). I sent them back to Carmina and they re-dyed to even them out (the story is longer than that but the details aren't important now). I don't have pics of the newly-dyed shoes, but they did pretty well - not much darker and the contrast is knocked down. Not a home run, but a solid base hit. I'll post in the wild photos in a couple of weeks when I wear them for the first time.

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

beowolf

Reaction score
Certainly. Note that these photos were taken when originally delivered; I wasn't particularly happy with the finishing/coloration (there was a stark line between light and dark on the strap of both shoes; though there were some minor leather issues the coloring is what bothered me). I sent them back to Carmina and they re-dyed to even them out (the story is longer than that but the details aren't important now). I don't have pics of the newly-dyed shoes, but they did pretty well - not much darker and the contrast is knocked down. Not a home run, but a solid base hit. I'll post in the wild photos in a couple of weeks when I wear them for the first time.

View attachment 786442

View attachment 786443
Thanks, I see that is definitely an issue, I am glad it worked out for you in the end. Let's hope I won't have similar issues.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any burger lasted shoes in the wild?

Sorry, I'd simply use the search feature but I still have no idea where it is :(

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina could you please respond to that issue as well? I have emailed Betty about it but got no response yet.

Good afternoon @insy , firstly excuse that Betty did not reply, she never got your email. It is truly strange that the lining is making these squeaky noises. Please provide us with your order number and we will have your shoes shipped to our premises for inspection. For future reference, send us an email to [email protected].

I believe it might be the colored lining. Always go natural is my advice, and most makers will give you this advice as well. Colored lining is a bit like colored shirt cuffs on a shirt = quite unnecessary. :hide:

Thank you for your answer @Leaves . However, we are sorry to contradict you but the problem does not reside in the coloured lining. In fact, the "natural" coloured lining has been dyed too. It is explained by an excess of dryness during the tanning process.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 786442

View attachment 786443

We loved helping you and hunting your discarded double monks down in our factory. Thankfully you are now satisfied with the new finish.

Enjoy your Carmina's!

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have wore my Simpson suede double monk for a while, and probably the only pair could grip my slender heel well. Found somehow the instep either too tight on third strap hole, or couldn't grip my heel well with second hole. Also not quite enough toe box space for pinky toe.

Now, if I wish to get a uetam loafer for summer, what size shall I start with? Tried 7 and the heel cup couldn't grip well and my low ankle bone already hit the edges

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads