• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hollandn

Reaction score
Thank you, they are 80437.
Special request to make them into a U-TIP boot.
I couldn't find pictures of this model at all but it worked out nicely!
What last are they on ? I have a split toe Norwegian on forest that I love. Here they are at Rome airport today after a few days in the mountains in Abruzzo.

Attachments

• BE6A6139-E773-4301-9AF9-9508676B58C2.jpeg
    BE6A6139-E773-4301-9AF9-9508676B58C2.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

lurker33

Reaction score
What last are they on ? I have a split toe Norwegian on forest that I love. Here they are at Rome airport today after a few days in the mountains in Abruzzo.
They are on detroit. For NSTs Forest or Detroit are definitely the way to go.
Is that col.8 hatch shell btw? I love that combo on NSTs.

hollandn

Reaction score
They are on detroit. For NSTs Forest or Detroit are definitely the way to go.
Is that col.8 hatch shell btw? I love that combo on NSTs.
Thanks for that. I will try a Detroit in your make up for my next order. Also yes my boots cordovan hatchgrain col 8 or burgundy as Carmina call it.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
For sure the Tramuntana is going to give more traction - it's a true lug sole for heavy outdoor use. The Victory sole is more for city use and is very comfortable and less stiff.

Durability deoends on terrain. ime, outdoor soles can wear down faster for city use than softer soles. So choice will probably boil down to use. It's one of those multidimensional teeter totters.

Hmm, interesting. The reviews from the past few years on this thread make it seem like the victory sole is quite rugged / hard with a long break-in period, making it a bad fit for city use. Based on how you're describing it, it's the opposite.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. The reviews from the past few years on this thread make it seem like the victory sole is quite rugged / hard with a long break-in period, making it a bad fit for city use. Based on how you're describing it, it's the opposite.
ime, lugged soles are the best for non-city use, but actually wear out fairly quickly in the ciy, likely for the same reasons that they are great for outdoor, shifting terrain with few hard, uniform surfaces. Victory soles were designed for city use, IIRC.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ime, lugged soles are the best for non-city use, but actually wear out fairly quickly in the ciy, likely for the same reasons that they are great for outdoor, shifting terrain with few hardm uniform surfaces. Victory soles were designed for city use, IIRC.
This is in line with my experience wearing Carminas in NYC. I have had the lugged soles wear out frustratingly quickly. I have an older pair of kudu Carminas where strangely the commando top on one is thinner than the other and has worn through at the toe tips.
Never have worn through a victory or Dainite.

Henry S

Reaction score
For city use, cobblestoned streets, which sole is the best?
I only have experience with Dainite and found it uncomfortable. From what I get, I should probably decide between Victoria and Silver.

Can the sole be replaced, or are Tramuntana and Comando the only choices available?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For city use, cobblestoned streets, which sole is the best?
I only have experience with Dainite and found it uncomfortable. From what I get, I should probably decide between Victoria and Silver.

Can the sole be replaced, or are Tramuntana and Comando the only choices available?
@Carmina said that sole requests could be accomodated. Just write them in the notes. Honestly, cobblestone is inherently uncomfortable, but I think that
either silver or Victoria would be equivalent in comfort.

Henry S

Reaction score
@Carmina said that sole requests could be accomodated. Just write them in the notes. Honestly, cobblestone is inherently uncomfortable, but I think that
either silver or Victoria would be equivalent in comfort.
Guess I will go with the Victoria.

I'm not sure where the notes section is. I have reached the page where I have to select my preferred payment method, but I haven't come across a field for entering free text.

If I wear a half size, should I go for a smaller size in shoe trees? 10.5 UK -> 10 UK shoe trees?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I will go with the Victoria.

I'm not sure where the notes section is. I have reached the page where I have to select my preferred payment method, but I haven't come across a field for entering free text.

If I wear a half size, should I go for a smaller size in shoe trees? 10.5 UK -> 10 UK shoe trees?
There is a check box as shown here:
1680097497162-png.1928687

I'm honestly not sure re shoe tree size, but I tend to go up a half size, as a shoe tree that does not fit snugly is not much use at all in helping the shoe keep its shape.

lurker33

Reaction score
What about Aspen? Lactae Hevea soles are great but i don't know if i could make it work on any make up.

artwood

Reaction score
There is a check box as shown here:
1680097497162-png.1928687

I'm honestly not sure re shoe tree size, but I tend to go up a half size, as a shoe tree that does not fit snugly is not much use at all in helping the shoe keep its shape.
Same size as shoes, ever. Or go down half size, in my opinion. I am 8,5 uk size and I have all my shoe trees in 8 uk size

Shoemog

Reaction score
Hi just checking if you missed the vote can you not order?

Was trying to find the link. .....

Henry S

Reaction score
Hi just checking if you missed the vote can you not order?

Was trying to find the link. .....
Don't see why not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads