• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Looking for some sineu inspiration. Can anyone post pics? Has anyone done a u tip boot or nst on sineu?

MattyS

Reaction score
I don't believe this is accurate unless things have changed recently. To the best of my knowledge the wide fitment (ie. EEE) lasts are limited Detroit, Rain, and Forest. Via the MTO custom route, Carmina may be willing to add some leather onto the standard size lasts to make small adjustments in fit but, at least in my experience, this option is hedged with it being imprecise, etc. I had this done on a pair once and found the width to be very marginally wider. YMMV.
I'm just reporting what I was told in one of the NY stores and my own experience. I received a pair of double monks on the Inca last that fits me perfectly. I wear a 10EEE in the Allen Edmonds Strand, and the Inca is not a wide last by any stretch of the imagination. So, something went right!

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi guys I have searched the forum and this thread but can't find people discussing or recommending the "Flex" option, it just gets a brief mention with little info.

Is the "Flex" option for Carmina GYW worth getting or not? :)

EDIT - I found a demo video here:

Hard to see what the potential downsides are, though I am assuming it has a thinner sole so less stability and structural strength.

Last edited:

Vincentask

Reaction score
Hi guys I have searched the forum and this thread but can't find people discussing or recommending the "Flex" option, it just gets a brief mention with little info.

Is the "Flex" option for Carmina GYW worth getting or not? :)

EDIT - I found a demo video here:

Hard to see what the potential downsides are, though I am assuming it has a thinner sole so less stability and structural strength.

as per answer from Carmina CS:
Find below a photo of both constructions - left is flex GY, right is standard GY:
attachment

As the name suggests, flex GY welt is a lot more flexible and bendy whilst standard GY welt is more rigid and harder to bend. This property of flex GY can be a positive aspect if you are planning on purchasing loafers or any other lighter, casual footwear. Due to the standard GY welt having a leather stitched welt (the white lining), it is also more durable and resistant. All in all, I would recommend the standard GY welt if you want your pair of shoes to have the potential to last for a very long time, if not forever.

Moostyle

Reaction score
as per answer from Carmina CS:
Find below a photo of both constructions - left is flex GY, right is standard GY:
attachment

As the name suggests, flex GY welt is a lot more flexible and bendy whilst standard GY welt is more rigid and harder to bend. This property of flex GY can be a positive aspect if you are planning on purchasing loafers or any other lighter, casual footwear. Due to the standard GY welt having a leather stitched welt (the white lining), it is also more durable and resistant. All in all, I would recommend the standard GY welt if you want your pair of shoes to have the potential to last for a very long time, if not forever.
Thanks that is really helpful and appreciated and I was also thinking along the same lines, as now my GYW shoes which were initially stiff have broken in, they feel quite flexible as well as sturdy.

As the Carmina leather sole does not seem to be so thick I would get a double leather regular GYW. :)

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Is it possible to purchase a flex gyw, but turn it into a normal gyw when you are ready to resole?

Moostyle

Reaction score
Slightly late reply here. Oscar is a good choice for a moderate fit round toe boot. If you like the 325 then Oscar would like work for you in the same size. You could also consider Forest for a good round toe boot last. The toe box is taller than 325 and Oscar (but not bulbous). It has a somewhat more formal look to it but it's really attractive last in this range. If you want a slightly more pointy / elongated round toe that would be more akin to 341 then consider Soller. If you want more of a ****** soft square toe you could consider Detroit. No personal experience with Llubi, will defer to Crafty on that one... to me it can look a tad bulbous on some makeups although Crafty's always look good and I have never handled or tried that last myself so will defer to his perspective there.

Anyway... Oscar is probably your best choice if you are after something similar to 325.
Ahh crap sorry but I was actually meant to be asking about the C&J 341 last on the Harlech but got it confused with the 325. https://eu.crockettandjones.com/blogs/the-article/last-341-style-options

So to confirm, Soller would be the closest match for that?

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Does anyone have saddle and bourbon cordovan shoes, so i can see a comparison of the color

I asked carmina but they said they don't have any samples on hand.

I have a bourbon pair and was considering natural or saddle, but the color of my bourbon pair looks very similar to the picture of natural that they showed me

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
Does anyone have saddle and bourbon cordovan shoes, so i can see a comparison of the color

I asked carmina but they said they don't have any samples on hand.

I have a bourbon pair and was considering natural or saddle, but the color of my bourbon pair looks very similar to the picture of natural that they showed me
For me I usually just go to @Crafty Cumbrian Instagram page. He tends to have everything you can look for to compare lol

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Planning to get a pair of boots on the detroit last (normal or extra wide), and am tossing up between some shell chelseas, wingtip boots, and u-tip boots.... I've never tried on the detroit last, but have owned:
- Rain UK 9.5 (too tight in toe area)
- Robert Uk 9.5 (fits well)
- Forest UK 9.5 (bit tight in toe area)
- Llubbi Uk 9.5 (Super comfortable and well fitted)

Other lasts I wear well are:
- CnJ 341 UK 9.5
- CnJ 325 UK 9.5
- Alden Trubalance 10D
- Alden Plaza 10E
- Enzo Bonafe 74945 UK 9.5

My feet are slightly on the wider side.

I was tossing up between whether to go with Detroit extra wide to get more toe room or just normal width detroit. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about which width to get?

I find detroit to be pretty wide to begin with and there is ample toe box and instep room, which seems to be your issue with the lasts that don't work that well for you. I'd stick with the normal width, although the wider width didn't feel all that much wider to me. The detroit heel is a little on the wide side - I am not sure if it is wider still on the EEE - but this is something to consider in your decision. Anyway, I have experience with all the lasts that you listed other than Robert and Llubi and it seems to me that you should take the regular width in a UK9.5 for detroit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads