• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
I tried on Soller and felt like it was wider on the ball of the foot and narrower in the heel. Basically Rain with narrower heel so I would get the same size.

Vincentask

Reaction score
Got an email today from them saying Oct 12-16. Email said they are doing MTO preorders right now thru one of their NY stores. I think that means you have to do it as a phone order thru that store but the custom sales waiver applies. But the online MTO would be Oct 12-16.
i would be cautious to order if i'm on a hurry, since they still did not manage to produce orders from the last event

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Does anyone have shell cordovan "bourbon" & "natural"?

I want to see the color difference and would appreciate you posting side by side pictures please

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have shell cordovan "bourbon" & "natural"?

I want to see the color difference and would appreciate you posting side by side pictures please

I am not near either of my pairs for the next week, but here is some comparison.

The boots are natural and the shoes are bourbon.
767328D0-4C95-4385-8C38-CD07368BA980.jpeg 216D1F3E-0607-49B7-81A1-88AFA98049E8.jpeg 9C044006-0F77-4ED5-BD34-B5C43A6CEF1C.jpeg D3B50D16-3C11-452E-A85F-745A899FE816.jpeg E30788F5-6B49-4AAB-9469-FC6CBE41D5AE.jpeg CDDBEC7D-9E12-4A91-A228-AC319BAE1D29.jpeg

grenache

Reaction score
Can anyone give me there opinion on sizing on the Soller last?

Before you say to check the last comparison page on carmina.com, that isnt always clear. It says many last are longer/wider than others but they dont always feel that way.

I’m the same size on Soller (7.5uk) as in Rain/Sineu/Oscar and take a half size up on Simpson.

Soller feels roomier than the other lasts and as I only have Soller in boots, I can wear thicker socks. It’s also longer so there’s more toe space while the heal/instep doesn’t feel much different than Rain/Oscar. It’s a last that I could see some sizing down by half, but it’s very comfortable as is for me.

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
I’m the same size on Soller (7.5uk) as in Rain/Sineu/Oscar and take a half size up on Simpson.

Soller feels roomier than the other lasts and as I only have Soller in boots, I can wear thicker socks. It’s also longer so there’s more toe space while the heal/instep doesn’t feel much different than Rain/Oscar. It’s a last that I could see some sizing down by half, but it’s very comfortable as is for me.

Thank you, perfect explanation.

I take the same size for Simpson, forest, oscar and sineu, while rain is much to big. I wonder about soller. Hows the instep compared to oscar in your opinion?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a welt join.

Very few folks are going to get down on their knees with a magnifying glass to examine the right boot welt join, in my experience.
No big deal; nothing a little fine paper can’t solve.
Sand paper…
I’d probably leave it. It’s a little rough but in reality won’t be seen whilst on foot.
That’s definitely questionable, perhaps it’s helpful that it’s on the inside. It’s also more severe IMO because the leather near the welt seems damaged. I gotta be honest, given the support you’ve provided to them, a remake should probably be in order.

Thanks all. As stated, it’s not in a very visible spot, but it’s not easily repairable as the top of the welt is pretty gnarly.
Part of it is that these were from the April MTO event and I had to ask CS for a status several times, there was a remake, etc. This is pretty sloppy, especially for a remake. I’ll live with it I suppose but it’s not what I know Carmina can do.

@Carmina - can I get a second (or 8th) opinion?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, perfect explanation.

I take the same size for Simpson, forest, oscar and sineu, while rain is much to big. I wonder about soller. Hows the instep compared to oscar in your opinion?

From Simpson, one could almost go down a half size for Soller. It is long and wide.

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Thanks all. As stated, it’s not in a very visible spot, but it’s not easily repairable as the top of the welt is pretty gnarly.
Part of it is that these were from the April MTO event and I had to ask CS for a status several times, there was a remake, etc. This is pretty sloppy, especially for a remake. I’ll live with it I suppose but it’s not what I know Carmina can do.

@Carmina - can I get a second (or 8th) opinion?

They wont respond to you here. They tend to only respond here when it benefits them. Sadly sometimes they have Meermins crappy CS. You sometimes need to chase them down and really be firm to get any response. Which isnt how it should be for shoes this expensive.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind telling me your size line-up for Carmina lasts. So i can better understand how soller fits you
I’ve posted about it here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...zing-etc-official-thread.241469/post-10983706

I’m a pretty consistent 10UK but not all Carmina lasts work for me. I could make 9.5 on Soller work but it would require a bit more break-in than I prefer. Note there is another link within the above link that goes into waaaaay more detail on my view of Carmina lasts.

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
I’ve posted about it here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...zing-etc-official-thread.241469/post-10983706

I’m a pretty consistent 10UK but not all Carmina lasts work for me. I could make 9.5 on Soller work but it would require a bit more break-in than I prefer. Note there is another link within the above link that goes into waaaaay more detail on my view of Carmina lasts.

Thank you. I clicked on both links.

You have pretty similar sizing to me. Flat foot, low volume and narrow heel. Makes me think Soller could also work for me if i size down and do open lacing 🤔.

Thanks for the information on the lasts, there have been a few i wanted to try like robert and that helps clear things up.

Henry S

Reaction score
They wont respond to you here. They tend to only respond here when it benefits them. Sadly sometimes they have Meermins crappy CS. You sometimes need to chase them down and really be firm to get any response. Which isnt how it should be for shoes this expensive.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. My friend and I had a completely different experience with CS.
Based on my recommendation, he gave them a shot and ordered a cordovan pair (first pair) with shoe cream.
When the package arrived, he couldn't find the shoe cream. When he contacted them, they told him they shipped the cream, and he should've taken a video opening the packaging to prove he didn't take the shoe cream out. After some back-and-forth emails, they fixed the situation but left a bad taste.

"Sadly" we are very pleased with our shoes (we had no issues with the welt joint, starches etc), and we just make sure to take a video when opening the packaging.

My experience, on the other hand, was nothing but perfect.
CS helped me decide which lasts might work best for me and answered all my questions.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree. My friend and I had a completely different experience with CS.
Based on my recommendation, he gave them a shot and ordered a cordovan pair (first pair) with shoe cream.
When the package arrived, he couldn't find the shoe cream. When he contacted them, they told him they shipped the cream, and he should've taken a video opening the packaging to prove he didn't take the shoe cream out. After some back-and-forth emails, they fixed the situation but left a bad taste.

"Sadly" we are very pleased with our shoes (we had no issues with the welt joint, starches etc), and we just make sure to take a video when opening the packaging.

My experience, on the other hand, was nothing but perfect.
CS helped me decide which lasts might work best for me and answered all my questions.

I mean, the reason they may or may not respond to this welt join situation is this is not a structural defect. It's an issue not even with the shoes, but with how the customer feels about a small detail on one shoe. Even if someone accidentally forgot the whole welt, the shoes would still not fall apart!

But on the other hand, people at Styleforum sometimes like to determine "well this is at fault because it *could* look better" or "Compared to other shoes in this thread this doesn't look perfect..." or "when I take a photo with my macro lens and blow it up the sized of a poster it looks like..."

Unfortunately this type of situation is not great answered on the forums, because let's say they say, "Oh sure, we will remake that for you," then you're gonna have guys coming out of the woodwork, "well what about this welt or these laces or hey this small discoloration on my sole... it's not perfect, can I get a remake, I've only worn them a few times, etc."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads