1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Carmina black captoe -- calf or shell cordovan?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bullswin, Dec 24, 2011.

1. hst

hst Senior member

Hi, is VAT deducted for delivery outside of the EU? I noted that the list prices are VAT inclusive. How are the shipping charges like?

2. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

^^ hst and Cuttingboard -- some clarification/answers are on the first page of this thread.

- the paypal option I mentioned related to my purchase experience through Carmina's site. I don't recall the payment options via The Armoury.

- VAT is excluded if you first create an account on Carmina's "e-boutique" site (see screen shots and discussion on first page of this thread).

Cheers.

3. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Here's an update... my experience through Carmina's website turned out great. While they didn't ship my order during the holiday week, they shipped it out this past Monday and it arrived Wednesday. I was also pleasantly surprised by their customer service. When I emailed (info@carminashoemaker.com) a few days after placing my order to ask about a status/update, Betty quickly responded. She then proactively emailed a few days later to let me know the shoes had shipped. Oh, and the delivery was by DHL and there were no custom/duty fees upon delivery. So, my total cost (shoes + shipping) was just over $390. Here are a few pics... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Viral

Viral Senior member

awesome!

Thanks for the update............this is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Just to be clear, you created an account and ordered via the website with a credit card? Were you hit with any extra fees from your CC company due to this being a foreign transaction?

I will definitely place an order in the near future :slayer:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Yes, you have all those details correct. I created an account and ordered via the website with a credit card.

Regarding extra fees from my CC company, I don't know (if there's anything, I think they'll post it at the end of my current billing cycle).

Oh, and one important thing I should have noted regarding Carmina's lasts and fit -- the Forest last is good for someone with a low instep (fortunately, that's me). For anyone with anything more than a low instep, I'm pretty sure that near the instep/lacing area, it would feel too tight/pinched.

6. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

In terms of creating an account - they had a section where you had to write your NIF/ CIF number; not sure what that was so I gave up....

7. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Here's what I inputted for various fields when creating my account:

"Last Name" = my last name
    "Name / Surname" = my last name
    "Nif / Cif" = I left blank
    "Province" = my state
    "C.P." = my zip code

Their website could be far more user friendly. I was equally confused when first going through the process.

8. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

9. hobo style

hobo style Well-Known Member

Yikes. Looks like someone has been having some fun with Carmina's website. Got this after clicking on the Manufacturing Process link:

[​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

To those who have been in the shop, do they have any narrower offerings or more narrow lasts. I've got a layover in Paris on Thursday, and am hoping to stick my head in the door for soldes.

11. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

thanks, I was looking at their e-store but could not find anything in my size 12D, did not find any place for MTO. either..any idea?

Secondly for the knowledgeable members I'm planning to get my first cordovans how do these stack up against Aldens/AE or Vass? I'm willing to splurge...thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I believe the Simpson is a narrower -- and newer last.

When I visited Paris a few years ago, I grabbed these, which are on the rain last, and I'm wearing today! It's a small, but great shop. Simpson last wasn't on offer then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

From Armoury thread:

Simpson - a narrow last with a chisel toe. Reasonably extended in the toe box, and a reasonably narrow waist. E width.
    Alcudia - much like the Simpson, but with more of an Almond Toe. E width.
    Robert - A rounded Almond toe, E width. Officially it is the same width as the Simspon, but the extra room at the toe tends to make it more comfortable for wider feet.
    Inca - a pointed toe, on our widest last, with a fairly wide waist. The most comfortable last we have for wide and flat feet. EE width.
    Rain - Much like the Inca, but with a chisel toe. EE width.
    Forest - a popular last in Europe, it is a standard width with a soft round toe, quite low in the instep, so high insteps can feel a little pinched in this last. E width.
    Uetam - a new last for us in a loafer, it feels very similar to the Forest, if a shade narrower. E width.

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How much wider would Rain be than Simpson? I had the Simspon and it was narrow on the top of my foot, where the laces tie. Should I go down 1/2 size and get Rain last? Thanks.

15. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Check post #328: Carmina Lasts

16. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

17. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

The Paris shop is open 10-8 (on Thursday at least) according to an email reply. No response on whether they have shoes on sale for soldes.

If all goes well, I'm hoping for some early evening shopping in Paris on Thursday.