• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your comment! I am excited! I am considering ordering them in Algarve as well and just returning the color I don't prefer. I am fairly certain that Guimaraes is what I want, though, having now realized that they are meant to be a brown with red tones. That's what AE's Dark Chili is, and upon realizing this, I pulled up photo of chili shoes and guimaraes shoes. They really fo look fairly similar, with guimaraes probably being a bit darker. I have seen some photos of Algarve where it looks like Braga, but others where it looks like dark chili on the money. Tough call without seeing them!

I will absolutely post photos of them when they arrive!
My buddy has a pair of Guimaraes double monk straps, and they definitely aren't light. They're a perfect mix of red and brown. It's difficult to describe unless you see for yourself, but I think you'd find it more versatile than Braga or Algarve. I think you'd be better off skipping the Dalton in Chilli because Carlos Santos shoes have much more character because of the patinas.

skeptastic

Reaction score
My buddy has a pair of Guimaraes double monk straps, and they definitely aren't light. They're a perfect mix of red and brown. It's difficult to describe unless you see for yourself, but I think you'd find it more versatile than Braga or Algarve. I think you'd be better off skipping the Dalton in Chilli because Carlos Santos shoes have much more character because of the patinas.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna dig the unique patina of this boot quite a bit. I'm so curious about how the Algarve would look with this boot, especially seeing as there are zero photos to be found online. It's kind of hard to resist buying them just to see them in-person, snap some photos, and give others a shot at comparing and contrasting them with the Guimaraes boots. It probably isn't necessary, but it's been so difficult to even find anyone who sells the boot in Algarve that I feel it may be worth it to check em out first-hand, haha!

Yeah, the Daltons are pretty run-of-the-mill, but the profile is pretty nice, especially if you add v-tread and maintain the less-bulky appearance. Plus, if you find em on Shoe Bank and get ema t the right time (AE is currently running a Labor Day promotion where 2nds in that price range are 25% off), you can get em for like $185 + tax and shipping. That's pretty crazy, if you happen to like a readily-available color (Oxblood or Walnut). But overall, I could see both colors not feeling as versatile and just ending up the type of shoe you get at a good price, that just sits in your closet, unworn. Never feels like the right decision long-term.

gbandi

Reaction score
Prince-Jorge (Markowski) has many shoes on sale in their end of line collection. Based on the looks, these appear to be made by Carlos Santos. It appears to be very basic line, similar to what they make for Loding. These are all priced below or at $200. Good options for anyone looking to build up a collection.

Personally I have moved beyond Carlos Santos. I do like some of their patina collection and have a few of them. Their leather quality is not In the same league as Carmina. It is much thinner and creases a lot more.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a pair in the 401 last. Any recommendations on how to size down from a pair of Allen Edmonds 5th/Park Avenue?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I wonder if someone can share some information, in a couplke of months I will go to Portugal and as part of my vacational trips ritual I always buy local shoes and it seams that Carlos Santos is a great option. I own a pair of Jumper boots bought from AFPOS. Maybe someone in the thread can give me tips of good locations. Thank you very much.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Most of the pairs I sell are on the 401. I would size one full size from us to uk. At least most of my clients do!
Huh, the general consensus seems to be to size down by 1.5 sizes on the 401 and 234 lasts. I would say that that guideline is true and correct in my experience. They are long and generous lasts, and going "true to size" was definitely not true to size.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I wonder if someone can share some information, in a couplke of months I will go to Portugal and as part of my vacational trips ritual I always buy local shoes and it seams that Carlos Santos is a great option. I own a pair of Jumper boots bought from AFPOS. Maybe someone in the thread can give me tips of good locations. Thank you very much.
At the Carlos Santos website, look for the "Store Locator", then select "Portugal": you will find shops in Lisbon, Porto and Cascais that carry their shoes.

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Huh, the general consensus seems to be to size down by 1.5 sizes on the 401 and 234 lasts. I would say that that guideline is true and correct in my experience. They are long and generous lasts, and going "true to size" was definitely not true to size.
My own consistent sizing with them is Uk7 in all lasts. At UK 7 Their length is 28.70 and 28.65 cm respectively. Exactly the same as my Carmina rain, tlb artista, cheaney etc.

From the two I find 234 a little more spacious on the toe however. Then again that’s just me and the clients I had from the US so far. Most of my handgrades went there too and it’s quite a pointy last.

Sorry if it makes no sense, half asleep in Europe! Woke up for some water!

shoewarma

Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. I would agree that 234 has a more forgiving toe box, which I much prefer. It was indeed difficult to get the right size with CS shoes, but I guess it all comes down to individual experience. I didn't find a difference in length between 234 and 401 in size 7.5 UK, which is generally what I wear, yet they were both huge. That's why I sized down to a 7 UK.

gbandi

Reaction score
I size down with most CS lasts other than 187 and 160. Haven’t tried a 401 yet..

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any recommend retailers that ship to the US? I'm looking for a field boot, preferably with a mixed material boot+ shaft combo(calf + pebble/suede shaft). I'm new to the Carlos Santos world, so trying to get my ducks in a row.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Now to figure out sizing... I'm not sure if an 8 or 8.5 would work best for my 9.5 D (us) foot.

Last edited by a moderator:

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Now to figure out sizing... I'm not sure if an 8 or 8.5 would work best for my 9.5 D (us) foot.
The 316 is slightly roomy, depends on what shoes you usually have. I would generally size down to UK8.5. You can measure the length of your foot and I can try to give you a more accurate answer :)

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 316 is slightly roomy, depends on what shoes you usually have. I would generally size down to UK8.5. You can measure the length of your foot and I can try to give you a more accurate answer :)

Just traced my foot in the office, thankfully no one snuck up on me. Length is ~10.25" (give or take) and closer to 4" than 3.75" at the widest point. I typically tend to size down .5 in most boots I own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads