• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gobius

Reaction score
how's the fit of last 437 vs Carmina oscar ? should I take same size ? thanks

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how's the fit of last 437 vs Carmina oscar ? should I take same size ? thanks
I generally size down half (and advise that) on most santos lasts. I have 2 pairs of shoes on the 437, the longwing in suede and the grain wingtip. I took them at my regular size UK 8. Sizing down to 7.5 would have been a mistake for me as it would be too tight. I am not sure how the Oscar fits but these two lasts worked out (and for a few clients) true to size UK.

janoy89

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if are any wide-footed folks successfully fitting Carlos Santos? I don't recall seeing anything about wider widths so I'm guessing CS only makes regular fittings?

I have a fairly wide forefoot and generally go for a G-width (or E-width in US brands) when available. From a little research the 316, 397 and possibly 401 lasts may be suitable.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if are any wide-footed folks successfully fitting Carlos Santos? I don't recall seeing anything about wider widths so I'm guessing CS only makes regular fittings?

I have a fairly wide forefoot and generally go for a G-width (or E-width in US brands) when available. From a little research the 316, 397 and possibly 401 lasts may be suitable.
Most Santos lasts are wider towards an E fitting. 316, 397, 401 will fit you fine. 234 is also roomy at the toebox, 333 too.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, as I have slender and low instep and volume feet, I have to always downsize with Carlos Santos lasts, as their fit is too wide for me, even though I additionally use heavy socks. I feel most of their shoes and boots are built for "wide-footed folks"...

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, as I have slender and low instep and volume feet, I have to always downsize with Carlos Santos lasts, as their fit is too wide for me, even though I additionally use heavy socks. I feel most of their shoes and boots are built for "wide-footed folks"...
What bothers me a bit is how size advice in most shops says take your regular sizing in these lasts. No, they are not TTS for most people and I now have a lot of data. Sizing down is definitely the best choice if you don't have a voluminous foot, high instep or wide forefoot!

@janoy89 thank you for reading!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought you might enjoy this :)

Handgrade Single Monks on the 389 Last. Norte, Algarve and Wine Shadow.

081F06D2-419D-411D-AEB0-50F08B92871A.jpeg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlos Santos Norte jumper boots that I got from @Noblekostas last year.
I haven't had many opportunities to wear them so still breaking in, but overall quite satisfied with the quality and think they are a superb value... although, looking at the photo, I'm wondering if I should avoid them with chinos and stick to darker pants with Norte.

20210124.jpg

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlos Santos Norte jumper boots that I got from @Noblekostas last year.
I haven't had many opportunities to wear them so still breaking in, but overall quite satisfied with the quality and think they are a superb value... although, looking at the photo, I'm wondering if I should avoid them with chinos and stick to darker pants with Norte.

View attachment 1541904
I think they look brilliant with contrast trousers too. I like how the patina develops! Would you mind mailing me the original photo?! ?

Black Bear

Reaction score
Although I'm leaning towards TLB Mallorca for my next pair of shoes, I'm still considering Carlos Santos.

A while ago I've read through this thread and I remember someone mentioning that patina shoes don't age as nicely as non-patina shoes. Could someone explain this to me? Show the differences with pictures?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads