• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes83

Reaction score
The Chelseas I have in the 401 last are also half a size big.

I got the 10.5UK instead of my normal 11UK (CJ, etc) following Kostas' advice (it's on the description he has on his store). The recommendation was spot on.

Danath

Reaction score
speaking of Galway alike, this looks good, but does CS really fit 1.5 size larger or something is odd?

CJ Islay UK7.5
Carlos Santos "Galway" UK6.5.

As you can see the length is the same. The small difference is due to the chunkier welt of the Islay.
CJ365vsCS316.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy cow full size larger ok not going to gamble for sure...

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy cow full size larger ok not going to gamble for sure...
It's slightly elongated. This last runs roomier half a size than your regular UK. References include Carmina Rain, TLB Artista, Meermin Hiro, most CJ lasts etc. You wear UK 7 on those, then you are UK 6.5 on these. I have sold hundreds of these boots and had maybe 4-5 returns to exchange.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's slightly elongated. This last runs roomier half a size than your regular UK. References include Carmina Rain, TLB Artista, Meermin Hiro, most CJ lasts etc. You wear UK 7 on those, then you are UK 6.5 on these. I have sold hundreds of these boots and had maybe 4-5 returns to exchange.

I agree fully!

What about last 401 @Noblekostas? I have chelsea boots in 160 and 401 and 160 is too tight in the instep and heel area. 401 is okay in these areas but feels quite roomy around the toe area so I wonder if I should size down half a size on that last too.

Wonder what your experience is with 401.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree fully!

What about last 401 @Noblekostas? I have chelsea boots in 160 and 401 and 160 is too tight in the instep and heel area. 401 is okay in these areas but feels quite roomy around the toe area so I wonder if I should size down half a size on that last too.

Wonder what your experience is with 401.
I began in my shop quoting that 401 is true to size. I based it off my own experience as well as info that for example afpos quote even today. Absolutely not the case to be fair. My most returned pair for size exchange was initially 401 boots. They run more generous at the forefoot, instep and length probably. I advise half a size down exactly like the field boots, and this is extra true on monks, Chelseas, jodhpurs and generally lace less shoes.

if you size down half you would reduce the length by 0.42 cm

wdrenth

Reaction score
I can confirm that the 401 is running large, based on two models (the austerity brogue as offered by the Noble Shoe, and the Romney, something between austerity and full brogue in grained leather, as was offered by Herring Shoes (their Napoleon is the same model in smooth leather)). Initial wear was fine / ok, heel and instep experience as per @Schweino 's, and with a half insole to lessen the volume and I was happy. Lately, however, I started to insert a real insole which helped a lot. Next time I will opt for a smaller size.

Whilst on lasts and to add another data point, recently I tried the 445 last (model is a reverse stitch cap toe oxford (also through the Noble Shoe)). Compared to the 401, it has a somewhat lower instep which resulted in a snugger fit for me from the beginning, compared to the 401. However, the toe area is (again) quite forgiving, and the heel is the same as for the 401. So also here I am considering sizing down with a next acquisition of a model on this last.

Both are handsome and elegant lasts, I think some of the best that Carlos Santos has available at the moment.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that the 401 is running large, based on two models (the austerity brogue as offered by the Noble Shoe, and the Romney, something between austerity and full brogue in grained leather, as was offered by Herring Shoes (their Napoleon is the same model in smooth leather)). Initial wear was fine / ok, heel and instep experience as per @Schweino 's, and with a half insole to lessen the volume and I was happy. Lately, however, I started to insert a real insole which helped a lot. Next time I will opt for a smaller size.

Whilst on lasts and to add another data point, recently I tried the 445 last (model is a reverse stitch cap toe oxford (also through the Noble Shoe)). Compared to the 401, it has a somewhat lower instep which resulted in a snugger fit for me from the beginning, compared to the 401. However, the toe area is (again) quite forgiving, and the heel is the same as for the 401. So also here I am considering sizing down with a next acquisition of a model on this last.

Both are handsome and elegant lasts, I think some of the best that Carlos Santos has available at the moment.
Agreed on this. Based on client feedback since I started retailing the new last most people would prefer to size down half just like the 401 due to the more spacious toe box.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up my first pair of CS patina shoes. I've heard that I should not use certain kinds of polish. I usually use Collonil, is that okay? I got the Guimaraes. Should I only use neutral shade, or is there a color that works? Wax, cream? Any insight would be helpful, thanks

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up my first pair of CS patina shoes. I've heard that I should not use certain kinds of polish. I usually use Collonil, is that okay? I got the Guimaraes. Should I only use neutral shade, or is there a color that works? Wax, cream? Any insight would be helpful, thanks
Can't go wrong with Saphir Medalle D'or creme in Neutral.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use only neutral wax and police. Don’t use renovateur. Use only colored polish to cover scuffs or scratches closest to the area you treat. Enjoy is a great color.

Joefitz

Reaction score
Use only neutral wax and police. Don’t use renovateur. Use only colored polish to cover scuffs or scratches closest to the area you treat. Enjoy is a great color.
I literally was going to ask the same exact question. I got the Coimba color. Which looks super dark in pictures, but already has a great variety after a week. So, don't use colored polish at all unless it is scratched? Not the rest of the shoe?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I literally was going to ask the same exact question. I got the Coimba color. Which looks super dark in pictures, but already has a great variety after a week. So, don't use colored polish at all unless it is scratched? Not the rest of the shoe?
Exactly :)

Camerashy

Reaction score
I take a UK 10 in most makes but took a UK 9.5 in the CS Field Boot but still have to wear an insole for comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics