1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VRaivio, Aug 28, 2012.

1. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Came across this brand Swims online before. https://shop.swims.com/mens/galoshes/

Looks clean and simple. Ive yet to try them tho

2. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Even the cheapies from the cobbler stands will work - though something like the Swims mentioned above are much nicer - felt or cloth lined if I recall - and come in some cool shades. They seem quite popular downtown Toronto.

3. RogerP

So my CS patina grain boots caused something of a small riot at the office yesterday. :D

I'm standing at the elevator bank heading down for lunch where I am joined by four colleagues with the same plan. One of them says "Hey, nice shoes!" and another adds "Wait, are those boots?" to which a third adds "Where did you get them?"

When I say they are made in Portugal and were purchased from a vendor in Norway, a flood of questions follow - "You went to Norway to buy boots?" I happily field the barrage of inquiries, only now others are crowding around wondering what the animated discussion is about, and before long it seems like 8 or 10 are loosely hovering and peering down at my boots. First time I have ever been mobbed for my footwear. :eek:

[​IMG]

I won't be shocked to see a few more CS boots in the office in the coming weeks. :cool:

4. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Dude.

I want that. Attention. On my feet.

No one ever notices what shoes I wear.

:(

5. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I was wearing the same style boots as @RogerP yesterday and definitely caught a woman checking them out as we passed each other.

6. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

Sure it was your boots? ;)

7. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

It was a hard double-take on the boots...only the boots.

8. RogerP

Not gonna lie - it was fun. :D Total aberration, though. I've pulled the odd compliment over time, but that's it. Mostly what @Paul902 describes - me noticing people noticing my footwear. And when it happens, it's quite, um, noticeable. :p And 9 times out of 10 it's a woman.

The things that gets noticed by far the most are my hats - fedoras and the like. And here there is a pretty even split between men and women, and men are surprisingly willing to comment. #1 comment: "I wish I could wear a hat like that." #1 response: "What's stopping you?"

9. misiuacademy

misiuacademy Active Member

Hi everyone again!

Today I posted my Coimbra Boots Review on my website. Here's the link for those that want to read the complete thing. I will post a few photos and share my thoughts here as a mini review.

IMG_6895.jpg
    Unboxing
    There is nothing new for you that own CS shoes here, but someone might be curious about it. I received my shoes through TNT and it came neatly packaged as always. The box was a bit bigger to accommodate the boots and right after opening it I was greeted with these beauties.
    IMG_4688 (2).jpg
    Your standard Shoe Horn, Goodyear Welted Leaflet & Dust Bags are included. The box has a nice houndstooth pattern to it as well!
    The dust bags are a little small for these shoes, I can barely fit them in but it is not something that will annoy me.

Size & Fit
    I ordered the 8866 Style Lace-Up Boots in the Coimbra Patina. This is smooth calfskin though they come out in grain as well. The last is the 234 which is one of the most common ones they have along with the 160, 401 etc. I currently own 4 pairs of Santos Shoes (one a pair of suede sneakers) and it was my first take on the 234 last.
    IMG_6857.jpg

I posted a comparison picture a few pages ago but for visualization's sake I will include it here again. The 234 is a little more roomy for me than the Loake Jockey and the CS 401 and TTS. I ordered my usual UK 7 and tried it with both normal and thicker socks. Both fit well, a little more snug with thicker socks but very comfortable. I was impressed. They have some nice space on the toes and the width works fine for regular sizes. The 401 last felt a little narrow during first wears.
    IMG_6828.JPG

Style
    Good looking boots! 4 normal eyelets and 4 hooks with sturdy laces.
    IMG_6825.jpg
    Burnished cap-toe which is a trademark CS style.
    IMG_6854.jpg
    Commando sole which is great for winter. It is a boot so I like the slightly bulkier style & welt. Not much more to say other than letting the pictures talk!

Quality
    For the price this is a very high quality shoe. The welt stitching is perfect apart from one minor blemish shown below. Everywhere else I carefully inspected and saw no inconsistencies which is great.
    IMG_6833.jpg
    We have already discussed about the soles here, they are absolute beasts! They can take the punishment and i have been using them 3 times already. Little stones get stuck underneath which is the only disadvantage i see to dainite/vibram but overall i feel I have more traction.
    IMG_6827.jpg
    The leather is smooooooth. Absolutely better than Loake 1880 that is so stiff. Very nice to the touch too. It also feels great when it is on my foot. It reminds me of when I tried R.M. Williams boots for the first time.
    IMG_6822.jpg
    And again the Patina is stunning for the price point. I got another coimbra derby at just 224£ from Pediwear during sales. Septieme Largeur are the only ones I can think at that price and design.

Comfort
    The Loake 1880 Aldwych took me 1 month to break in. The Chatsworth 5 months and the CS Double Monks (401) 3 weeks. Well these were comfortable on the first wear. Only after 6 hours there was slight heel pain that disappeared on the second wear. Shocked and delighted at the same time.

They are a joy to walk with and it is so nice not to feel the stones on the street (thanks Sweden!). They are my first real boots though and they did feel kinda weird in the beginning because I was not used to having leather so high up my ankle. I came back today, sat on my bed and played 1 game of PUBG Mobile (lol) and literally forgot I was wearing them.

Summary
    Absolutely great looking boots for an unbeatable price especially on sales. Afinepairofshoes, Skoak, Pediwear, Cavour, there are always places to look for the best deal. If you are curious about the 234 last, it is great looking and very comfortable (probably for those without very wide feet). Good quality construction, fantastic leather and consistency all over the shoes. I have caught people looking!

Thanks for reading! Here are some more pics.
    IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6883.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg

10. RogerP

11. Mercurio

Mercurio Well-Known Member

^^^Thank you for your review, as you know, I am quite pleased with my CS boots.
    Enjoy them!

12. jayvee

jayvee Well-Known Member

I was impressed with the workmanship on the pair of jumpers I received but ultimately I couldn’t come to terms with the pointy-ness of the 234 last. I accept that’s my issue. I also thought the leather seemed quite thin compared to other brands but I suppose there has to be some compromises to make the price point.

13. gbandi

gbandi Senior Member

I agree with the leather thickness. I have boots from Alfred sergeant, Meermin, Crockett Jones, Loake, Allen Edmonds. CS are one of the best looking but have the thinnest leathers. I wear them mostly in business casual work and smart casual evening setting. I don’t plan to subject these to any rugged use but have concerns about long term durability.

14. JJRADICK

JJRADICK Senior Member

To me personally, I felt like CS leather is thicker than Carmina's leather.

15. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

dammit Roger, now I want some more grain leather boots and I'm already pondering suede boots from SkoAb after your ringing endorsement. Sometimes I forgot what fantastic shoes Carlos Santos make amid all the other nice shoes we have. It's unfortunate that the 234 last works very poorly for my feet.

Oh, I was wearing those nice Vass shell boots today!;)