• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a couple of weeks of frequent wear, with some very tough conditions, I've found that the finish on my boots has been affected by the salt and water. I've been wiping them down after each use. The leather around the ball of my big toe where the boot flexes a lot has lost its shine and some colour. Going to have a go at them with salt remover, and polish, and maybe put some waterproofing on that area.

IMG_5537.JPG

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a couple of weeks of frequent wear, with some very tough conditions, I've found that the finish on my boots has been affected by the salt and water. I've been wiping them down after each use. The leather around the ball of my big toe where the boot flexes a lot has lost its shine and some colour. Going to have a go at them with salt remover, and polish, and maybe put some waterproofing on that area.

View attachment 1124108

Salt is crazy destructive on leather. I had the same issue with my C&J Coniston this season. No more stepping in puddles!

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my creative mess, and an overview of 401, 234 lasts from CS compared to Loake Capital and Jockey.
View attachment 1122903 View attachment 1122904
Thank you for your lasts comparison, very helpful.

I own boots made on the 234 and Capital last, and I didn't buy the Chatsworth, (Jockey last) because I doubted about its sizing, that from your pictures seems quite wide. I decided to go half a size down with my CS and Pimlico as I have slender and low instep feet: with CS was perfect, with Loake they were a little tight at the beginning but now they are quite comfortable.

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Thank you for your lasts comparison, very helpful.

I own boots made on the 234 and Capital last, and I didn't buy the Chatsworth, (Jockey last) because I doubted about its sizing, that from your pictures seems quite wide. I decided to go half a size down with my CS and Pimlico as I have slender and low instep feet: with CS was perfect, with Loake they were a little tight at the beginning but now they are quite comfortable.
Hey! Glad to help.

If you google chatsworth review you will find my article. It took me 5 months to break in, It was very uncomfortable a little next to my small toes at the side. They work nice now though. The 234 from CS is perfect for me from the get go, very surprised and happy! Tomorrow I publish my article and will share here the photos and some thoughts!

Glad you enjoy CS shoes too! They are bang for buck.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey! Glad to help.

If you google chatsworth review you will find my article. It took me 5 months to break in, It was very uncomfortable a little next to my small toes at the side. They work nice now though. The 234 from CS is perfect for me from the get go, very surprised and happy! Tomorrow I publish my article and will share here the photos and some thoughts!

Glad you enjoy CS shoes too! They are bang for buck.
I know your article, as we had a chat on the Loake Chatsworth some time ago, when you gave me your advice on sizing. I changed my mind and I bought instead of those Chelsea a very nice pair from Riderboot.

I did a review of my Herring Churchstow by Carlos Santos a while ago on this thread, that you can find here.

misiuacademy

Reaction score
I know your article, as we had a chat on the Loake Chatsworth some time ago, when you gave me your advice on sizing. I changed my mind and I bought instead of those Chelsea a very nice pair from Riderboot.

I did a review of my Herring Churchstow by Carlos Santos a while ago on this thread, that you can find here.
Ah thanks! I will take a read now, I wrote a bit about herring before but never had a chance to actually own one! thanks for sharing!

standaloneprotein

Reaction score

View attachment 1124108
As much as I hate to admit but none of this boots are made to be used as winter boots: they are not waterproof, the finish is delicate and will not hold well against salt in general. Even if you add sno-seal or any other waterproof agent, you will never get the shoe to survive winter. I had a pair I cleaned every single time I used outside and the day I forgot to clean them (my parents stayed with us) I found the salt has already started eating the leather.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit but none of this boots are made to be used as winter boots: they are not waterproof, the finish is delicate and will not hold well against salt in general. Even if you add sno-seal or any other waterproof agent, you will never get the shoe to survive winter. I had a pair I cleaned every single time I used outside and the day I forgot to clean them (my parents stayed with us) I found the salt has already started eating the leather.

If that were true, all my boots that I have worn over the past who knows how many winters would be completely and utterly destroyed. Except they aren't. Not even the designated beaters.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
If that were true, all my boots that I have worn over the past who knows how many winters would be completely and utterly destroyed. Except they aren't. Not even the designated beaters.

They can be used as such, however it only takes one day, the day you ignore (or forgot to clean it) to notice how damaging salt can be, Besides, you already created a nice amount of wax to protect your shoes. Roger, how many people do you know clean your shoes religiously as you do? (For clarification purposes, my concern is salt, not the water)

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, the goal posts seem to be shifting.

You started with:

I'd say this is simply factually inaccurate and runs contrary to my years of winter experience.

Next, you've moved to:

They can be used as such, however it only takes one day, the day you ignore (or forgot to clean it) to notice how damaging salt can be, Besides, you already created a nice amount of wax to protect your shoes. Roger, how many people do you know clean your shoes religiously as you do? (For clarification purposes, my concern is salt, not the water)

A few things in response:

1) Salt is hell on leather - no rational person would dispute this. But it is not rock salt on dry pavement that is the problem (other than chewing the hell out of leather outsoles) - it is dissolved or semi-dissolved salty slush and puddles that are the problem. Salt-laden water soaking into the leather is what does the real harm if it is left to sit.

2) Not every winter's day is a slushfest. At least not where I live - even the worst winters see a few days where that soupy, salty slush-brine sits ankle-deep on on roads and sidewalks alike. Usually happens where there is a heavy snowfall followed by a sudden warming. On those days, it's best not to expose your best / most costly footwear to the elements: wear your beaters or use overshoes. And if your leather is exposed to that awful stuff, clean it immediately.

3) How many people care for their footwear as religiously as I do? In the general population, not many. Here on SF - a fair few. And we are speaking here to the SF population. The general population isn't reading this thread.

4) Not caring for your shoes will shorten their lifespan regardless of exposure to salt. It's not a particularly solid foundation for a claim that these boots can't be worn in winter because they won't readily survive neglect. That is true of all footwear in all circumstances to a greater or lesser degree.

Bottom line: for most winter days, and with a modicum of care, these boots can be worn (and are worn) as winter boots, year in and year out.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
Okay, the goal posts seem to be shifting.

You started with:

I'd say this is simply factually inaccurate and runs contrary to my years of winter experience.

Next, you've moved to:

A few things in response:

1) Salt is hell on leather - no rational person would dispute this. But it is not rock salt on dry pavement that is the problem (other than chewing the hell out of leather outsoles) - it is dissolved or semi-dissolved salty slush and puddles that are the problem. Salt-laden water soaking into the leather is what does the real harm if it is left to sit.

2) Not every winter's day is a slushfest. At least not where I live - even the worst winters see a few days where that soupy, salty slush-brine sits ankle-deep on on roads and sidewalks alike. Usually happens where there is a heavy snowfall followed by a sudden warming. On those days, it's best not to expose your best / most costly footwear to the elements: wear your beaters or use overshoes. And if your leather is exposed to that awful stuff, clean it immediately.

3) How many people care for their footwear as religiously as I do? In the general population, not many. Here on SF - a fair few. And we are speaking here to the SF population. The general population isn't reading this thread.

4) Not caring for your shoes will shorten their lifespan regardless of exposure to salt. It's not a particularly solid foundation for a claim that these boots can't be worn in winter because they won't readily survive neglect. That is true of all footwear in all circumstances to a greater or lesser degree.

Bottom line: for most winter days, and with a modicum of care, these boots can be worn (and are worn) as winter boots, year in and year out.

Dude, what are you trying to accomplish? Trying to have the last word?
When was the last time you play with your kids in the snow?
Do you honestly think you’re the only one who lives in the northern hemisphere and has to deal with salt during winter time? Our experiences are different and one does not negate the other.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, what are you trying to accomplish? Trying to have the last word?
When was the last time you play with your kids in the snow?
Do you honestly think you’re the only one who lives in the northern hemisphere and has to deal with salt during winter time? Our experiences are different and one does not negate the other.

Dude, I am discussing the wearability of boots in the winter. Stop being so sensitive. If you wish to wear snowmobile boots from the first frost of fall to the first blossom of spring, nobody is stopping you. But if you make a preposterous claim that no leather boots have a prayer of surviving even one winter, then dude, expect to be contradicted.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
You just enjoy arguing with people, don’t you?

Let’s put ourselves in Paul902 shoes for a minute: quoting his words:

After a couple of weeks of “fréquent wear” with some “very tough conditions”, I've found that the finish on my boots has been affected by the salt and water.

So, Paul will use his boots often and intensively, far from the way some of us treat our shoes. We do not know the kind of winter he has to endure or the kind of lifestyle he has. For the intended use, neither the patina, nor the shoe (for that matter) will last in the pristine condition you are claiming. Is it possible? Perhaps, I avoid water and salt while walking but shoes are not immune to the elements. There is a reason why people wear rubbers, or Sorel boots for that matter. I like my boots but I understand their limits. Not because you can avoid salty roads in your commute means that everyone can. Your/my experience could be different than others and does not make one right or wrong.

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
@standaloneprotein dude, you are out of line. Roger argued his position, and your retort is "my experience ain't the same". That puts one squarely above the other in this "Internet dispute" or whatever you wanna call it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads