1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VRaivio, Aug 28, 2012.

1. shoewarma

shoewarma Well-Known Member

Would you say it's more common in Portugal? It seems like despite being a fairly affordable brand, it is still relatively unknown.

2. gbandi

gbandi Senior Member

Picked up a few boots from Cavour sale. Can someone comment on long term durability of CS boots? They look amazing but Their leather is the thinnest of Alden=AS > AE=Meermin=Carmina > CS=Loake. I realize that thickness isn’t everything but have to say that my Loake boots look the worst after 2 years

3. gbandi

gbandi Senior Member

4. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

The Parisian Gentleman's recent Sartorial Talks episode part 1, gives some great information and background on CS.

5. gbandi

gbandi Senior Member

New field boots from Cavour. Amazing boots for a great price!!!

CEEE93B4-BBE1-400D-A4CC-CC89AD8E86F1.jpeg

0075BD89-C3C7-4A8E-BFD7-F659D628F968.jpeg

6. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I had the jumpers on today for a walk down the street. We had had a lot of snow, followed by rain, then thaw, then freeze. The sidewalks were a mixture of ice, slush, and water. Through one deeper than expected puddle the salt water poured across the cap toe of the boot. My feet stayed totally dry. The Commando soles and storm welts doing their thing with aplomb! I was totally impressed.

IMG_5412.JPG

7. misiuacademy

misiuacademy Active Member

I wore my boots yesterday as well. Deep snow, slush and rocks. The commando sole is a tank. Really happy so far. The only difference from dainite is they small rocks from the street may get stuck.

8. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I have to agree about the rocks...I picked up my boots this morning to wipe them down and on the floor under each sole was a puddle with a formidable pile of salt and stone mixture they used on my street. :)

However, I will posit that that is not the only difference from Dainite. I love Dainite in general, but these commando soles are softer, warmer, and provide much better traction on snow and ice.

9. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

I'm with you on softer and better snow traction, not so much the rest. Also worth mentioning that, IME, Dainite is much more wear-resistant and thus longer lasting than commando. I think Ridgeway is actually a much better option for softer underfoot feel and better snow traction, with better wear resistance than commando (though still short of Dainite). It's becoming my new fave for more casual / rugged boots.

10. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I really like Ridgeway for casual/rugged winter boots, too, @RogerP . I've got them on my C&J Arrans and I think it is a perfect sole for that boot.

11. gbandi

gbandi Senior Member

I agree with the commando soles. They are very soft and most comfortable soles I have every had

12. nishant

nishant Senior Member

Completely agree.
    Walking on ridgeway soles is also quite a different experience from Dainite or commando. They are not as chunky as commando and not as inflexible as dainite but provide excellent traction. I am glad that EG is offering most Galway in ridgeway and CJ is following suit with some of their newer offerings.

13. cypi2

cypi2 Senior Member

I completely agree with @RogerP and @nishant.

I know some people will raise their eyebrows, but, Dainite turns out to be my favorite shoe sole (somehow, i like their stiffness), and, R1 or Wensum style soles are not far behind. This is mainly because i used to live in regions where the weather was inclement, and i was going through my shoes leather soles rather fast. I like the Ridgeway soles too, and, i agree that they offer a little better traction than Dainite soles do. It is also my experience that Ridgeway soles are not as "wear-resistant" as Dainite soles are.

i am not familiar with the commando soles because i do not like the way they look. But, i can completely understand why some people might chose them as they must be as weather resistant as Dainite or Ridgeway.

14. misiuacademy

misiuacademy Active Member

Here's my creative mess, and an overview of 401, 234 lasts from CS compared to Loake Capital and Jockey.
    IMG_6857.JPG IMG_6859.JPG

15. Jamesbond1

Jamesbond1 Senior Member