1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VRaivio, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

I think that shoe has a flaw. Maybe excess of leather due to a poor lasting. I have handle different shoes with that defect on the shop of another brand. Ask your retailer/maker and see their opinión.

2. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

I see how this is useful for boots but I've never personally experienced it with regular cut shoes.

Retailer said it's probably cause of my flat feet or the last itself (which I think contributes). I dont have a wide or flat foot tho and shoe trees itself shouldn't make it billow haha so I think that left pair has a little bit more excess than usual. It's actually not bad on foot and I found a remedy to lessen it by inserting a tongue pad (which will help my slight heel slip too).

A member from another thread pointed out that this happens to him slightly as well even in EGs and Vass.

3. shoewarma

shoewarma Active Member

Here's my second dig at them double monk straps from Pediwear, this time on the 234 last, which is what I'm looking for.

IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1896.JPG

This is a size 7 UK in Coimbra patina. I don't feel that the last is roomy or long at all, as many people here said. I think 7.5 UK would have been a better fit, as I prefer my shoes to have some room in the toebox. This one still fit fine, but my pinky toes touch the sides of the shoe, which is kind of annoying, but not painful at all. I suspect it would get better with break in, but I'm still not so sure. The 7.5 UK must be the best fit for me, I guess. Because of this, I'm wondering if I should return this one and get the 7.5 UK in Guimaraes. The thing is though, the ones that Pediwear have are somewhat reddish and unlike the pictures of the Guimaraes monk straps that Elison posted. If anything the ones I currently have look more like Elison's.

Also, for shoe care, do I just use a leather conditioner? What if it gets scuffed, is there a type of polish that won't ruin the patina?

I see the same thing on these shoes, though I have flat feet. I don't really see a problem with it because it's not as significant as yours.

4. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

I second your insight here. I didnt find the 234 last to be roomy at all despite all the comments here of being roomy and sizing half down, from waist to heel actually feels narrow.
    I think if everything feels snug for you without any pain or discomfort, keep it. Going up half a size might give you heel slip, bu then again you'll never know till you try haha

For conditioner, I've gone over my coimbras twice over with Saphir Renovateur with no ill effects to the patina.
    If anything, it made them more vibrant. You'll notice a little bit of dye transfer on your cloth for sure but nothing to worry about.
    1026934-67a105bf89c5b65a5495c898aff9e768.jpg
    (Mirror shine coming up!)

As for the billowing. I think yours becomes less prominent because its a double monk. Construction has more space for the pieces of leather to move around compared to an oxford. Great looking pair btw! Really liking the soft chisel and sexy waist of this 234 last.

5. Stinson

Stinson Senior Member

234 is a great looking last

6. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

I definitely need some more patina grain in my life.

[​IMG]

7. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Sharing my sunday shine. Coimbra. Looks a bit more red in this pic than it actually is 20180902_135914.jpg
    20180902_140334.jpg
    Beautiful soft chisel on the 234 last

8. Ellson Toh

Ellson Toh Active Member

Beautiful pair in a very nice patina, as expected from Carlos Santos. Always love some brogue details on a captoe oxford.

9. standaloneprotein

standaloneprotein Active Member

Does anyone has a pair of CS shoes/boots in 316 and 234 last? I found the 234 almost perfect and I'm debating whether I should get the boots in 316... Does anyone has pictures?

10. Taverner.cohen

Taverner.cohen Senior Member

11. pediwear

pediwear Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

X post: Just updated our affiliate thread with news of our visit from Carlos Santos rep, Patina Belts and our current Carlos Santos MTO styles. I hope this is of interest. Pediwear Affiliate Thread

12. NocheOscura

NocheOscura Member

Hello,

I've searched high and low for an answer to my sizing dilemma, but I've only gotten more confused. Some people say that the CS 234 last is a hair wider than the Carmina Rain, and others say that it's more snug. I was trying to determine how wide the 234 is so that I may infer how the (z)401 would fit me. They say that it is more narrow than the 234, but not by much. Massdrop has some monkstraps in the 401 last available to order. I would like to know if I should get my normal Carmina Rain size, 9.5 UK, or to size up to a 10 UK. For reference, the Rain last fits me a bit snug at first, but it's great after break in.

Thanks!

13. Alocin

Alocin Senior Member

Finally got the suede split toe by skoaktie. I love them to say the least.

848447E6-92B7-4DE5-9EB6-C9489E6DB7B8.jpeg

@NocheOscura i can offer my little help, I have historically been a UK9 in everything even though I down have any Carmina experience.

The CS 397 fits fine in a UK9, and the 234 is definitely roomier than any of my other shoes, almost to the point of being able to fit a 8.5. I hope that helps!

14. Camillo

Camillo Well-Known Member

My one and only black cap toe oxfords (via @Skoaktiebolaget ), they fit to my large feet with high instep surprisingly well:
    IMG_20180916_011611.jpg.059a11dc619428c76c4ce4b3cb55d3d0.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018

15. SchachMundialECapital

SchachMundialECapital Well-Known Member

PSA: Massdrop is running the Carlos Santos double monk in a limited selection of patinas. Built on the Z401 last. No clue about sizing, but it seems shorter than 160 and a hair wider in the toebox.