• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangerous

Reaction score
I'm a 10 in the 187 and carmina Rain last. I've had to break in the 187 a bit and I still feel like it's a bit too elongated for my preference.

I have no idea about 397

WilYa

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been eyeing the Carlos Santos brand for awhile, after reading great reviews about it. I'm contemplating between getting the Captoe Oxford in 187 last or the Wholecut in 397 last. However, I'm still quite unsure of the sizing. I'm a Carmina Rain UK7.5 usually. May I know what size should I go for the Captoe Oxford (187 last) and Wholecut (397 last) respectively? Thank you!
7.5 is your best bet IMO, 187 is snuger especially around toe and vamp.

Ellson Toh

Reaction score
I'm a 10 in the 187 and carmina Rain last. I've had to break in the 187 a bit and I still feel like it's a bit too elongated for my preference.

I have no idea about 397

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I also feel the 187 seems a tad too elongated. Hence, leaning more towards the whole cut in 397 last.

evangel21

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been eyeing the Carlos Santos brand for awhile, after reading great reviews about it. I'm contemplating between getting the Captoe Oxford in 187 last or the Wholecut in 397 last. However, I'm still quite unsure of the sizing. I'm a Carmina Rain UK7.5 usually. May I know what size should I go for the Captoe Oxford (187 last) and Wholecut (397 last) respectively? Thank you!

I take same size for Rain, 187 and 397. I find 187 to be a little long but volume and instep wise is ok. 397 length would be similar to Rain but I find it to have more volume in the toe box. But my 397 is a Chelsea so can't comment on instep.

Ellson Toh

Reaction score
I take same size for Rain, 187 and 397. I find 187 to be a little long but volume and instep wise is ok. 397 length would be similar to Rain but I find it to have more volume in the toe box. But my 397 is a Chelsea so can't comment on instep.

Thank you for the sharing, appreciate it! Definitely helpful. Okay, shall consider taking the 397 in same size then.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Alright gents, so the shoes finally arrived. I have to say, shipping from the Pediwear shop/warehouse was indeed lightning fast. They were despatched on the 20th, and arrived today, so there's that.

However, I'm sad to say that the shoes are HUGE. I knew I should have stuck with the 7.5 UK. There is so much room in the toe box, vamp, and heel. Also, the Guimaraes patina is much lighter than it appears online, and it was missing that deep red that made me order it in the first place. I don't know if I should go with a Coimbra, because it looks almost black in pictures. The sizing also has me confused all over again. After trying the 8 UK, how will I know that the 7.5 UK won't be too big, and the 7 UK won't be too small?

Anyway, here are some pictures. I hope these are of help to anyone considering this patina.

IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

Last edited:

Bmcgraw49

Reaction score
Note: Here are the photos I originally neglected to add. Like a styleforum rookie, I didn’t take photographs of my boots straight out of the box. Since I first got them less than a full week ago, I have already walked nearly ten miles in them. They are comfortable walking boots and are going to be my companions for years to come! They take care of me, and I will not neglect to take care of them.

AFD0D9F2-65E4-4753-9461-79386B178C3F.jpeg
A71EDCA8-43A9-4FD3-BE20-D43D81E5E58D.jpeg
6E6A35EE-0F4D-4738-B574-85DAB5E0E8A7.jpeg

Original Reply Before the addition of pictures

I just picked up my first pair of Carlos Santos footwear. Chocolate Suede Chelseas from Skoaktiebogalet. I believe the suede was in the mink swatch.

I couldn’t be happier. These boots are absolutely gorgeous. I feel fantastic walking in them! I love the sound they make on pavement. It’s a bit muted and softer due to the sole material, but still entirely very acoustically pleasing. I notice these things and they just add to the overall enjoyment of fantastic footwear. I love the elegance of Carlos Santos shoes and boots. Carlos Santos’ designs afford elegance and grace, while preserving the natural humility of true aesthetic form that’s intrinsic to his footwear. They remain traditional and understated enough to keep their amorously enchanting charm and charisma; though modern and glamorous enough to be contemporary works of functional art. A marvelous balancing act due to the shift in demand in style, form, and function that’s occurring as the world continues to open up on account of globalization and its accompanying economics; which is simultaneously impacting our choices even down to our most personalized style in clothing and footwear.

Carlos Santos strikes a very good and natural accord between all these aspects. As you can tell, I am truly enamored by his craftsmanship and dedication. I really love Carlos Santos shoes.

Everything I’ve researched indicates Carlos Santos footwear are among, if not, the very best shoes one can invest in at this price point, and possibly even higher price points depending on the comparative shoe brand. Just the eye-test alone after viewing many, many of Carlos Santos’ shoes and boots for hours at a time alongside various shoe brands brings me to my own love for them. Nothing compares until you get into much higher price points where it’s still apparent that the inherent beauty of Carlos Santos footwear are still to be deservingly appreciated.

It takes an artist to be able to speak through lines as subtle as those created through a collection of shoes, let alone the form created by a single shoe or boot. Carlos Santos, his designers, and sapateiros are just such artists. Thank you Skoaktiebogalet! I look forward to purchasing my next pair of shoes from you folks very soon! You have allowed me to find a true treasure in my life that I appreciate very much!

I am looking forward to a pair of Carlos Santos oxfords, half-brogues, wholecuts, monkstraps, and perhaps even jumper boots, all in either coimbra, guimaraes, wine-stain or another patina in the near future. I plan on investing in my shoes and creating an entire line-up for my self out of Carlos Santos shoes. There is also one very beautiful and extremely gorgeous crowdfunding loafer from Löf & Tung that has caught my eye. I hope it is still available when I am ready for that stage. I am noticing Löf & Tung is very beautiful collection as well.

Last edited:

jamie411

Reaction score
Very eloquent, and your chelseas sound beautiful - but you forgot to add photos!!

Bmcgraw49

Reaction score
I will shortly. Thanks for reminding me! :) I need to take some photos. I will do so today. I have been getting all the brushes, Saphir products, and a pair of boot trees necessary to keep them in proper condition.

Have a fantastic and wonderful day Jamie!

Bmcgraw49

Reaction score
the Guimaraes patina is much lighter than it appears online, and it was missing that deep red that made me order it in the first place. I don't know if I should go with a Coimbra, because it looks almost black in pictures.

Anyway, here are some pictures. I hope these are of help to anyone considering this patina.

——————————

This patina is absolutely gorgeous! What a fantastic and wonderful pair of shoes you’ve choosen. You are going to look very sharp in a suit or a nice pair of trousers with these shoes! Your photos are amazing as well and do a fantastic job presenting the shoes.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I didn't keep them and shipped them back just over a week ago. They're way too big. The sizing is way off, and there's no way that 8 UK equates to 8.5 US. Pediwear should really revise their size guide.

Anyway, I still want a pair of those double monk straps, but I don't think I will order them from Pediwear. They look completely different than the same shoe offered in different shops, like Skoak for example. I even had to pay $60 to return them. I think I might get them in a Coimbra next time from Skoak. Although I'm not sure if the Patina Service double monk strap looks different from non-Patina Service ones. Anyone care to clarify this?

I will shortly. Thanks for reminding me! :) I need to take some photos. I will do so today. I have been getting all the brushes, Saphir products, and a pair of boot trees necessary to keep them in proper condition.

Have a fantastic and wonderful day Jamie!

Ah, yes, I did want these Chelsea boots but I don't think they had my size. Carlos Santos Chelsea boots are indeed quite nice.

WilYa

Reaction score
I didn't keep them and shipped them back just over a week ago. They're way too big. The sizing is way off, and there's no way that 8 UK equates to 8.5 US. Pediwear should really revise their size guide.

Anyway, I still want a pair of those double monk straps, but I don't think I will order them from Pediwear. They look completely different than the same shoe offered in different shops, like Skoak for example. I even had to pay $60 to return them. I think I might get them in a Coimbra next time from Skoak. Although I'm not sure if the Patina Service double monk strap looks different from non-Patina Service ones. Anyone care to clarify this?

Ah, yes, I did want these Chelsea boots but I don't think they had my size. Carlos Santos Chelsea boots are indeed quite nice.
sorry for your loss, mate. CS lasts are indeed long and roomy (e.g 234 and 316). I think I suggested to you for 7.5...
For the patina look, the batch variance is huge so sometimes it is a hit and miss. You should also consider another reputable CS retailer afinepairofpairs, they stock many styles and often times cheaper (10%SF code) and with trees, polishes,etc.

shoewarma

Reaction score
sorry for your loss, mate. CS lasts are indeed long and roomy (e.g 234 and 316). I think I suggested to you for 7.5...
For the patina look, the batch variance is huge so sometimes it is a hit and miss. You should also consider another reputable CS retailer afinepairofpairs, they stock many styles and often times cheaper (10%SF code) and with trees, polishes,etc.
Yeah, I ordered a 7.5 initially, but had second thoughts and just went with what the Pediwear guys suggested. Either way, the shoes didn't look anything like they did on other websites. If you compare my pictures to other ones on this thread or elsewhere online, you might be able to tell the difference.

I will go back to the drawing board and see which webshop offers a better deal, but I don't think AFPOS offers free shipping. Pediwear had the best deal, with free shipping, shoe trees, and Saphir polish. Oh, and I wasn't hit with duties. I ended up getting Loake made Herring chukkas for more money than the double monk straps, haha.

Bmcgraw49

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered a 7.5 initially, but had second thoughts and just went with what the Pediwear guys suggested. Either way, the shoes didn't look anything like they did on other websites. If you compare my pictures to other ones on this thread or elsewhere online, you might be able to tell the difference.

I will go back to the drawing board and see which webshop offers a better deal, but I don't think AFPOS offers free shipping. Pediwear had the best deal, with free shipping, shoe trees, and Saphir polish. Oh, and I wasn't hit with duties. I ended up getting Loake made Herring chukkas for more money than the double monk straps, haha.

I talked to the people at Skoaktiebogalet and they helped me find the right size in Carlos Santos shoes when I was inquiring about my fit in oxfords. I had to size down just a half size because of the last and design tendency. It worked out perfectly later when I chose the last pair of boots they had available, which happened to be the size I was looking for (a half size down than I normally get). I went with the Chelseas instead of oxfords. I am going to go for oxfords next.

It’s all a little confusing because different retailers match up a size 44EU with different UK and US sizes. The people at Skoaktiebogalet are super friendly and responsive in helping out with questions. This is something I haven’t found anywhere else to the same degree. You can try and send them some questions. Olaf, Alexander, and Douglas all helped me considerably and very quickly. They have a very good team there. I was very impressed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads