• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1737815
Bought these from Herring. Quite an eye catching take on the field boot, with a nice combination of amber uppers and olive green shaft. It also has a machine stitched Norwegian welt and a ridgeway sole.

Quite a bargain for under 300€ and one of my go to choices on a bad weather day.
Very impressive pair of boots, are they made on the 397 last?

I have read in the @Noblekostas web page that it is the widest fit of Carlos Santos. I have a pair of CS on the 234 last that is a good fit, although tending to the wide side after downsizing half a size, so I was wondering if the 397 would be too wide for me.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have read in the @Noblekostas web page that it is the widest fit of Carlos Santos. I have a pair of CS on the 234 last that is a good fit, although tending to the wide side after downsizing half a size, so I was wondering if the 397 would be too wide for me.
If you size down for the 234 then the 397 should fit you similarly honestly. My experience at least!

mtooler

Reaction score
Just catching up to the older posts in this thread.

I see that many have had issues trying to condition the leather with saphir renovateur etc. These are NOT the products one should be using on crust leather shoes with a painted patina. There is another, little known saphir product called “creme universelle”. It’s the most gentle conditioner saphir makes and can be used on not just shoes, but also bags, jackets etc. it will not strip any color and you only need a very small amount for each application. I hope this helps!
You are a few months too late haha!

ViaSartoria

Reaction score

Yes, it is on the 397 last.
I took it true to size as I wanted to wear it with thick socks in cold weather. That worked out perfectly.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlos Santos Shell Cordovan Field Boots and Bison PTB

C7BB516F-4308-4323-899D-44B4B10B5ADC.jpeg 4E881B1B-5B9E-4EFB-8C7B-4620E4FA5EE1.jpeg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They didn't. I bugged them for a couple of years and voila. It's Italian. More info when I have them in my hands in a few days.

Great job and good to see they can handle shell. Let us know how they turned out because not evey maker can handle shell it is supposed to be handled. Do you know if they can obtain Horween shell? Have not heard the best stories about Italian shell.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job and good to see they can handle shell. Let us know how they turned out because not evey maker can handle shell it is supposed to be handled. Do you know if they can obtain Horween shell? Have not heard the best stories about Italian shell.
Horween has been quite scarce and super expensive and I doubt anyone would want to pay $1100 for Santos Shell Boots. These were like 900$ and it was a stretch.

I ordered an adelaide for myself so when that's ready I will post that and see how it wears!

Camerashy

Reaction score
Need some help with CS sizing please
I’m normally a UK10 and have a pair of CS field boots size UK9.5 on Last 401 which are a little too big and for which I have insoles and need to wear thick socks
I’m looking at CS oxfords Last 401 but unsure whether to go for UK 9.5 or UK9
What I’m really asking is do CS Field boots in Last 401 come up bigger than the equivalent in CS oxfords or derbys
Thanks for any help

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads