• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of new Carlos Santos shoes, however there is a ''dent'' on the toebox. Is this something to worry about long term wise? With other words will it likely get worse and thus should I trade them in for a new pair or is it acceptable and nothing to worry about? Opinions would be much appreciated!
I wouldn't think it would worsen over time as the toebox isn't going to crease in that area, assuming the shoe fits you correctly. I'd probably try exchanging it though.

Mirror_Mau

Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would worsen over time as the toebox isn't going to crease in that area, assuming the shoe fits you correctly. I'd probably try exchanging it though.
Agree. This mark is apparent enough to be rejected by quality control, not to mention it's on the toebox, the most obivious place for men's shoes. I think you might want to ask for an exchange.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my first pair of new Carlos Santos shoes, however there is a ''dent'' on the toebox. Is this something to worry about long term wise? With other words will it likely get worse and thus should I trade them in for a new pair or is it acceptable and nothing to worry about? Opinions would be much appreciated!
I would definitely return/exchange

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Friday score:

20211205_122249.jpg
20211205_121910.jpg
20211205_122129.jpg
20211205_121951.jpg
20211205_121933.jpg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far I only have the 445 and 333, I find the 333 to be more generous in width so better for me. Some non-grain options on the 333 would interest me.

IMG_5767.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent experience with Carlos Santos with you as they truly amazed me.

One of my AFPOS Algarve patina field boot pairs got damaged a while ago when a drop of gasoline spilled on one of them while I was filling up my car. This resulted in a spot where the patina was entirely stripped from the vamp of one boot.

My cobbler tried his best to restore this, but the area was still off from the rest of the boot.

So, about two weeks ago I emailed Ana Santos (through the Carlos Santos customer service email) and asked her if they perhaps could restore the patina and what it would cost to do so. I received a reply the same day that they would be happy to do that at no cost; I just had to pay for shipping the boots to them.

So, I shipped the boots to the Carlos Santos factory in Portugal, where it arrived about 5 days later. To my surprise I received an email one day later that my boots were ready to ship back to me again. One day later again the boots were delivered at my home.

They look like new; the old patina has been removed entirely and the boots have entirely been re-painted. They came in a new shoe box, new laces and with a handwritten postcard wishing me happy holidays and saying that they were happy I enjoyed their shoes, signed by the Carlos Santos team.

This is some truly amazing customer service from Carlos Santos. Very happy with how this went.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent experience with Carlos Santos with you as they truly amazed me.

One of my AFPOS Algarve patina field boot pairs got damaged a while ago when a drop of gasoline spilled on one of them while I was filling up my car. This resulted in a spot where the patina was entirely stripped from the vamp of one boot.

My cobbler tried his best to restore this, but the area was still off from the rest of the boot.

So, about two weeks ago I emailed Ana Santos (through the Carlos Santos customer service email) and asked her if they perhaps could restore the patina and what it would cost to do so. I received a reply the same day that they would be happy to do that at no cost; I just had to pay for shipping the boots to them.

So, I shipped the boots to the Carlos Santos factory in Portugal, where it arrived about 5 days later. To my surprise I received an email one day later that my boots were ready to ship back to me again. One day later again the boots were delivered at my home.

They look like new; old patina has been removed entirely and the boots have entirely been re-painted. They came in a new show box, new laces and with a handwritten postcard wishing me happy holidays and saying that they were happy I enjoyed their shoes, signed by the Carlos Santos team.

This is some truly amazing customer service from Carlos Santos. Very happy with how this went.
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look like new; the old patina has been removed entirely and the boots have entirely been re-painted. They came in a new shoe box, new laces and with a handwritten postcard wishing me happy holidays and saying that they were happy I enjoyed their shoes, signed by the Carlos Santos team.

Ana has been a pleasure to deal with. She always answers my questions (and I have many). Nice to hear you had a good experience too!

mtooler

Reaction score
So I neutral mirror shined the toe caps, neutral pate d luxe and neutral creme 1925 these beautiful coimbra/guimares derbies. Toe cap wax cracked so wanted to take it off to reapply a nice finish, renomat and renovateur later and Bobs your uncle two shoes that look nothing alike lol. So thinking not doing the right one and doing something to the left one but its buggered now. Any ideas on salvaging them, also would love to know how to remove old wax from patina shoes painted on crust leather as clearly renomat and i suspect renovateur is too harsh. Is it best to just use creme 1925 and not try to bring them up to a high shine ever. Feel free to laugh at my misfortune but would love to know how I can avoid doing it again. Bit gutted as I loved that finish but we live and learn, Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

• 20211222_191213.jpg
    20211222_191213.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The result (indoor and outdoor shots)

20211222_110335.jpg
20211222_110345.jpg
20211222_110403.jpg
20211222_114850.jpg
20211222_120121.jpg
20211222_120127.jpg
20211222_120141.jpg
20211222_120144.jpg
20211222_120204.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics