• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlo Franco tie - Ebay seller sartorialsolutions

newtrane

Reaction score
I recently bought a Carlo Franco tie from Ebay seller "sartorialsolutions":

http://stores.ebay.com/Sartorial-Solutions

After having paid for the tie immediately via PayPal, I got the following email:

"Dear Mr. ----,

I wanted to thank you for your recent purchase. We are ready to ship your item to you but only $15 was paid for shipping. In order for us to ship this item the total cost is $35.00. Please send $25 via our paypal account so we can have your item to you asap. The account to send the funds to is [email protected]. We send all international packages via Global express so we can track the package. Any other less expensive shipping doesn't provide any way to track your purchase and there for leaves both parties open to issues.If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email as to whne to proceed to ship you item to you.

Sincerely,

Audrey H."

This is kind of weird, because

- On Ebay, the seller mentions that shipping to Switzerland is USD 15 (see screenshot)

- The difference between the newly claimed shipping cost (USD 35) and the USD 15 I already paid would be USD 20 and not USD 25.

I now transferred another USD 20 to the seller and hope they will finally send out the tie.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a scam

newtrane

Reaction score
I don't think it is a scam as their rating is quite good.

What would you recommend me to do?

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
I don't think it is a scam as their rating is quite good.

What would you recommend me to do?

Just e-mail them. Chuck is an upstanding guy and will do the right thing, I'm sure.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

newtrane

Reaction score
Actually I already did but did not get an answer.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try PMing Chuck Franke on AAAC or his wife, Jill.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
Actually I already did but did not get an answer.

When did you e-mail them? It's only a little after 7am their time (I think), so it's unlikely you would have gotten an answer now or overnight.

newtrane

Reaction score
I emailed them on Thursday, 1. February 2007. There would have been plenty of time to respond.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chuck and Jill just returned from a very long trip and so no doubt have a good deal of things to sort through. This isn't to say that they shouldn't respond promptly to you, but rather they're probably backlogged and are not ignoring you. Rest assured, this will get straightened out.

Styk33

Reaction score
I received an email from Chuck this morning. I contacted him on friday night. Give him some time to go through his emails.

newtrane

Reaction score
I now got an answer from Audrey:

THat was my mistake. It is just $20 dollars not $25. Typing error on my part. WE have received the funds and the item will be shipped out today. The $15 is the cheapest method of shipment but we don;t prefer to use that particular one because there is no way to track the item or verify if it was received which opens up a whole can of worms for both sides so we ship global express.

In their first email, they put my order "on hold" and asked me to send them more money:

In order for us to ship this item the total cost is $35.00. Please send $25 via our paypal account so we can have your item to you asap.

Now, after I sent them the additional funds, they mention that there would have been a cheaper alternative. Well, I like that.

I don't think it is a sustainable business practice to mention a shipping method on the Ebay listing that the seller is not willing to use ...

Further to that, these orthographical mistakes make quite a lousy impression.

newtrane

Reaction score
I just got the update below - though some of the statements are untrue, I will now wait and hope to get the tie soon

I sent you an email previoulsy stating that the amount listed($15) is showing the cheapest method but it doesn't let you track the package. I told you this before you sent the funds in the very first email I sent you. I also told in the last email as well as the first that we prefer not to ship via this method due to the issues it causes. I told you that the item would be shipped yesterday as it was. We ship via global express to protect both parties in the matter. I don't handle the shipping method or amounts listed and I have notified the owner of this so he can fix the ads. As far as any typing mistakes we correct ourselves and fix any mistakes made aware by us or our customers and we admit it when we do make a mistake and I apologize for the typing error of a $5 difference. Everyone makes typo's when typing anything. I would have caught it once the item shipped and funds would have been refunded immediately as well as an email sent to you letting you know of the mistake. We don't cheat our customers and we are human so we are not perfect as noone is. Mistakes are made every once in awhile unintentionally. You should receive the tie in a few days. Thank you for your purchase. Have nice day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads