• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlo franco shirts

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that a lot of people love their ties by carlo franco, but I never hear anybody mention their shirts. In terms of quality, which would be better- Jantzen or Carlo franco.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet Carlo Franco shirts offer the better deal. You can't argue with mother of pearl collar stays.
wink.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have not seen one of Chuck's shirts in person, but from his pics and his descriptions of how they are made, I think they are probably quite superior to Jantzen.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to weigh in here.

Lets analyze his ties please.

We all know that we are dealing with a man that pays an almost obsessive amount of time and attention ensuring that the products that enter and leave his shop are first rate, both in fabrics and the construction and if he suspects that there are issues in which he can improve his product he does. This we know for a fact.

So...why would you think that his shirts or for that matter anything else that he sells is anything but first rate? They are CARLO FRANCO's arent they? If a man is impassioned about his business as Chuck obviousely is you can rest assured that it will show in the products he sells.

With that in mind I am willing to quote "someone" from a different forum regarding Chuck's merchandise...

"They are AWESOME."

JJF

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas :)

Well, on another subject it was suggested that my ties must not be good because they are always getting reworked and improved on so...

My honest evaluation on my shirts:
A.  They need work, I've had 5 prototypes of the next generation and won't hit the go button til I see what I want to on the 6th.

B.  The materials alone cost more than $29 when buying several hundred meters of fabric, several thousand buttons and a thousand mother of pearl stays. So before I pay for construction, DHL, Customs, etcetera my cost is well over their retail price... No slam intended toward them and generally I do NOT ever slam another maker. It is, however, a different product and I am sure that for $29 they are awesome... I'm after a different market segment.

C.  My nitpicky issues are ones that come up when comparing them to $600 shirts, not others in the same price range.  The improvements are in areas like a longer tail, shorter foot, tighter stitching, more reinforcement... picky stuff.

...My usual "if ya don't love them then return'm" applies.

Right now?  I've seen a shirt with similar materials and construction only in the $300 plus range.  The prototype of the next generation is designed to go after the shirts in the range up from that in the $500 range.

It goes very slowly but the honest truth is I can't afford to rush, our model depends on customers loving what they get and spreading the word.

Thanks for the kind words and patience :)

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shame I can't buy these wonderful shirts. I'm a 14.75" collar and 33" sleeve, and rare is the shirt that comes in this size. I suppose I could go ahead and take the extra .25", but I'm really picky about how my collars fit.
tounge.gif

tdial

Reaction score
Chuck, I looked at your site and was interested in your shirts. It appears, though, as if you only have one collar option--point collar. Any plans to add more of a spread collar to your offerings?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New collar is part of the next batch too :)

...it's a bit tough with shirts. One fabric times 12 sizes times two lenghts times 2 cuffs times.....

Pretty soon one fabric explodes into 50 SKUs, then you figure on which will sell fastest, get lots of those and every other size sells out immediately :)

Would you believe I went into this business sane?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New collar is part of the next batch too :) ...it's a bit tough with shirts. Â One fabric times 12 sizes times two lenghts times 2 cuffs times..... Pretty soon one fabric explodes into 50 SKUs, then you figure on which will sell fastest, get lots of those and every other size sells out immediately :) Would you believe I went into this business sane?
I will second Chuck's feeling on this. Its very very difficult for a retailer to initially introduce any product because you cannot merely introduce one style but you need the whole array of sizes, and or fabrics. Then if you go heavy on one style only to find that it didnt work you arent stuck with 1 shirt or item but that one Item in all the styles, fabrics and sizes that you ordered. YOU cant very well send it back to your supplier and let them know ...Ooops...sorry it didnt sell. take them back. So in retail it really is Hit and miss. You order and pray that as much as you liked it your customers will like it. JJF

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Carlo Franco shirts, but as soon as Chuck offers them in my size (16 1/2 34) I will buy several of them.

Kai

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL...

You guys don't fall for that whole 34/35 thing like most people. Sigh.

The best thing in the world for my business is knowledgable customers.... the trickiest part? Same deal.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL... You guys don't fall for that whole 34/35 thing like most people. Â Sigh. Â The best thing in the world for my business is knowledgable customers.... the trickiest part? Â Same deal.
Change that Carlo... Sounds too much like the war cry of Syms...An educated consumer is our best customer... Yah. I shudder to think what the fellows from this forum would do to a Syms employee...
smile.gif
JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads