Carlo franco shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Jul 22, 2004.

1. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

LOL.

I would think we are probably targeting a different market :)

...and you haven't really laughed until you've seen my 8 year old explain tie construction to a snooty salesperson who is upset to see a munchkin looking through the ties.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i guess its a different kind of education then... The Syms education is like a High School Equivilancy Diploma and the forum Education is like an Ivy League.

I saw that post about your kid. On a similar note, every time I pick up a tie my 2.5 year old says "Dad. Take a Picture."

Tell Me Chuck...Where pray tell do you get clothing for the aforementioned little Munchkin??

JJF

3. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

LOL - whatchya got for her??? She's a size 10 and wears a uniform most of the time from August-June but LOVES to dress up.

One day she will make a man very miserable since she knows quality and demands it :)

4. FIHTies

yeah...Uniforms...My worst enemy. Tuesday's Child Good Sale running. 3 for 1. Hide the site from your wife. Its addictive. [​IMG] JJF

5. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I forgot to also ask which one was the better value. Is it better to save up for Carlo's shirt or just buy several Jantzen.

6. FIHTies

Chuck: If I may, let me answer this please. Esquire: Which is better, three Saturn's or a mercedes? (please dont get into a discussion about cars here, you get the analogy) It really all depends on what you can afford and what you need. If you need three shirts and are on a limited budget then get three Jantzens, if you want a quality shirt (not that jantzen is not quality, its just a different league) tand you can afford it get an FC. Its apples and oranges and cant be compared. JJF PS: Commissions Chuck, I want COMMISSIONS. [​IMG]

7. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

That is a good point, but as someone who owns both Jantzen and Carlo Franco shirts I think they both represent excellent values. With Carlo Franco, you are getting a Borrelli quality shirt at an Ike Beher price. With Jantzen, you are getting an Ike Beher quality shirt at a Perry Ellis price. So really it is very easy, do like me and have both since you don't always want to wear a Borrelli, but are glad that you have one when you do.

8. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

Can anyone comment on the fit of the Carlo Franco shirts?

9. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

They are a bit on the slim side - not real blousy like those typically cut for the US market. If you get annoyed with the shirts that are like a tent at the waist you would like these, if you think most shirts are cut too narrow in the waist these might make you feel "Sausagesque".

One of them online conundrums - will it fit?

Conundrum solved: If it doesn't ya send it back and say it's too small and I pay shipping both ways and refund your money. A bit of a tradeoff but generally works out for all.

10. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

When compairing Jantzen to Carlo you'll have to keep in mind that your Jantzen will fit you (on average) much better than Chuck's shirts just because it's a MTM (or semi-bespoke... ). That's the main attraction and the added extra is that they are damn well constructed.

I'll also have to cast a vote in Chuck's direction for a 15.5/34 - I'm sure I don't have that freakishly long arms and I'm eager to sample his shirts.

B

11. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

I own both the shirts and ties. I think that the ties will definitely stand out as head and shoulders above everything else you see out there in the same price range. It is obvious even to the untrained eye.

The shirts are most definitely very nice. Someone asked about the fit, and to me that is the best part of it. The shirts have a slimmer, European fit. They may not work well if you're a bigger guy. Real, thick mother of pearl buttons, mother of pearl collar stays, etc. This is a very quality shirt for the price. However, unlike with the ties, it's a bit more difficult to pick out the differences versus the mass market brands. I've got a female friend who owns a Banana Republic shirt nearly identical to the Carlo Franco blue/white nailhead, and I had trouble spotting the differences (the buttons were the most obvious). Perhaps, as someone recently posited on Ask Andy, the Chinese really have cracked the code on putting out quality shirts for very low prices.

Having said that, there's definitely some je ne sais quoi about the Carlo Franco shirt that I own which makes it my favorite. They are clearly worth the price tag.

12. Alias

Alias Senior member

The Chinese are great at stuff like this, even in the realm of electronics: You can get a great all-region DVD player for less than $90.

I think I can spring for a Carlo shirt in a collar 15. I can always shrink the collar or something, right? Any cool collar-shrinking tips?

13. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Alias - we've been delaying forever in the next set of shirts and I am being a real pain in the rear end picking apart every detail on the prototypes.

...we're almost there and on the next batch I'll post the fabrics we'll be doing and for my regulars and forum members I'll do specific size requests that fall outside our usual range. They'll still have the same return policy so if Shaq orders one and doesn't like it then Jill gets a real expensive nightshirt I guess :)

The fabrics will be from Canclini, Albini, Thomas Mason and D&J Andersen. Couple more tweaks :)

14. Alias

Alias Senior member

I am SO there. You are awesome.

Finally I'll be able to add two wardrobe staples: a white dress shirt and a blue dress shirt (because, believe or not, I don't have these elementary things.) and they'll be the best dress shirts I have.

15. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Seconded. 14.5 neck, 32 sleeve, please. And fairly narrow cuffs, if that's possible...